• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best games that have a religious/biblical themed story

Goat_Simulator_cover.jpg

I'm sure these have already been mentioned but just in case:

Blasphemous 1 & 2 - top tier Metroidvanias based on Spanish Catholic themes and folklore, some absolutely stunning imagery.

El Shaddai: Ascension of the Megatron - 3rd person action-adventure that's inspired by the Book of Enoch, beautiful art, solid combat.

Darksiders series - each game feels different, the original is still my favourite though I dig them all. Angels, demons, the Four Horseman of the Apocalypse, what more can you ask for?

Diablo series - even more angels and demons forever at war, I quite enjoyed the campaign of D4 though I'd say D2R is the king.

Quasicat

For me it would be Actraiser. You literally play as God controlling an angel, building society, and then possessing an ancient statue to destroy evil and bring peace to the world. The remake sucked because they took the RPG elements and made it a tower defense game…but the original is absolutely amazing!

wJeOgQZ.jpg

Filben

These games are wildly different in their gameplay and look and feel, but if it's story and religious themes you're looking for:

- FAITH:
What you are about to do has not been approved by the Vatican. As a young priest, struggle against demons, insane cultists, and your own weakening faith in this pixel horror game inspired by the era of classic 8-bit gaming and the "Satanic Scare" of the 1980s.

- Pentiment:
Step into a living illustrated world in a time when Europe is at a crossroads of great religious and political change. Walk in the footsteps of Andreas Maler, a master artist who finds himself in the middle of murders, scandals, and intrigue in the Bavarian Alps.

- Signalis
A classic survival horror experience set in a dystopian future where humanity has uncovered a dark secret. Unravel a cosmic mystery, escape terrifying creatures, and scavenge an off-world government facility as Elster, a technician Replika searching for her lost dreams.

- Crusader Kings series
Love, fight, scheme, and claim greatness. Determine your noble house’s legacy in the sprawling grand strategy of Crusader Kings III. Death is only the beginning as you guide your dynasty’s bloodline in the rich and larger-than-life simulation of the Middle Ages.

- The First Templar
The First Templar follows the story of a French Templar, and his companion, a noble lady who has been proclaimed a heretic. Taking control over these two unlikely allies, the player must uncover the mysteries behind the Templar Order, play a role in a grand conspiracy, and discover the secret of the Holy Grail. The heroes face powerful opponents at every turn, including Sacracen, King Philip the IV of France and the Inquisition.

TheStam

I tried the demo for INDIKA which is in Steam Next fest and it certainly fits the bill. I didn't play the whole demo as I'm for sure gonna get it on release.

But it's a story driven game where you play as an orthodox nun in a surreal version of 19th century Russia and you seem to fight some form of inner mental battle with the devil. I loved the trippy vibe.

RaduN

Obvious: Bayonetta is one the more creative, almost offensively accurate (lorewise), biblical themed stories.

Not obvious: Mgs3: Snake Eater has absolutely wonderful parallels to both biblical and pre-biblical themes and characters.

RaduN

Here's a couple for you:

i3tb4cm.jpg

Painkiller would definitely be the easier one to pick up and play.
Requiem needs a remake.
Was Painkiller the one with that particular rendition of hell? spoiler: time frozen A bomb?
If so, it was absolutely mind blowing back then, and probably the most accurate we can ever imagine.

intbal

Was Painkiller the one with that particular rendition of hell? spoiler: time frozen A bomb?
If so, it was absolutely mind blowing back then, and probably the most accurate we can ever imagine.
I haven't played it in twenty years.
All I remember is the opera house, the giant boss fight, and some of the story.

Vlodril

Xenogears/Xenosaga maybe Xenoblade as well.

Shin Megami Tensei

Castlevania

Bayonetta Series

Darksiders

NieR Series

Vampire The Masquerade Redemption

El Shaddai Rise of the Metatron

FFX but most FF's have a degree of religious influence. FFX is heavier on it though.

VTM: Redemption is a very nice pick. Underated and def has a lot of Christianity / religious themes. Underrated games.

I played a lot of Christian games as a kid and can make a couple recommendations. (This is a different / more specific answer than picking games with religious themes - you can make a game with religious themes without it being made by Christians and from a place of belief in Christianity.)

Catechumen_cover.jpg

Catechumen
FPS with competitive (for the time) graphics and gameplay. I replayed this last year and was surprised that the moment-to-moment gunplay holds up. With a Glide wrapper it looks good and handles smoothly.

Saints_of_Virtue_Box_Art.png

Saints of Virtue
The graphics and gameplay are not as competitive, even for their time, but the vibe is something else. Surreal, vaporwave before that existed, hard to describe. And the worlds were ambitiously large. If you play this, use the fan patch: https://saintsofvirtuex.com/ (The V2 beta patch is in testing in the Discord now)

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I love the amount of people mentioning Requiem, that game was pretty cool, especially at the time. Would love to see it remade. The best have been said IMO, so don't mind me echoing. But I'd say...

The Binding of Isaac
Dante's Inferno
Requiem
Blasphemous 1 & 2
Diablo series

SHA

Doom series, he's doing the lord job, any game at the end of human extension is basically one of them.

Top Bottom