• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best GBA platformers?

RM8

Since I recently bought a GB Micro I'm interested in re-discovering GBA's library, for some reason I largely ignored in comparison with other systems. Currently playing Super Mario Advance, which is pretty much the SNES version of SMB2 and I love it. I may buy the other Mario Advance games, but since I just went through NSMB2 and now SMA I'd like to play something different.

EDIT: Some of the games recommended in this thread:

Klonoa 2: Dream Champ Tournament
rQwuPT1.png
rZOnwpw.jpg

Ninja Five-O
WDbiElm.gif
H0t68DR.png

Sonic Advance
zwOoAU3.png
xE7bqVu.gif

The Revenge of Shinobi
Lz485nV.png
HvaCnkH.png

Crash Bandicoot: The Huge Adventure
UJbftuD.png
votSfPS.png

Castlevania: Circle of the Moon
jUL97zF.png
67yF158.png

Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts
NII4o40.png
qDD7abj.png

Pinobee
b4t80C3.png
GU61g0O.jpg

Astro Boy: Omega Factor
QwKb6yC.jpg
pPsNZ86.jpg

Mega Man & Bass
uPrGaDn.png
sksejqE.png

Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land
l78R2pF.png
vUDEUYA.jpg

Rayman Advance
OAh1bts.png
YXt0UlL.png

Drill Dozer
kRuEstm.jpg
wuK9fBz.png

Wario Land 4
NFMd2lT.png
kU3PJag.png

Go! Go! Beckham!
hDkYvBb.png
HJIM3EK.png

Legend of Spyro: The Eternal Night
ST6wKg6.png
sQRJzM2.jpg

Densetsu no Starfy
HqQfLhP.png
yfyZbH9.png

Goemon: New Age Shutsudou!
IcO7mAm.png
HhLnOkn.png

Dragon Ball Advanced Adventure
yOVxNpR.png
3PD2Oj7.png

Super Mario Advance
aue96Yv.gif
x4bFQ8E.png

Super Mario Advance 2
IzsyJJj.png
zlCwAnO.png

Super Mario Advance 3
KVSAZ79.png
hw8NYgn.png

Kokonoe

Banned
That picture in the OP isn't Sonic Advance, but a sequel. However, Sonic Advance 1 is an amazing platformer and one of my favorites.

If you have a (3)DS, just get Mega Man Zero Collection instead of the four Mega Man Zero GBA games.

Besides that, I don't know what to recommend that's not posted already...

Oh, Metroid Fusion and Zero Mission, of course!

TheOGB

Banned
Legend of Spyro: The Eternal Night was pretty damn good, though more of a brawler. I also remember Rayman 3 being decent.

Oh shit dude, get the Kirby games.

Olly88

Probably not in the "best" category, but Santa Claus Jr and Go! Go! Beckham! are two platformers that I enjoy that don't seem to be that well known*. Santa Claus Jr was only released in Europe, and I believe GGB was too, but there's usually a few copies on eBay for good prices.

Go! Go! Beckham! (Video)

127040_full.jpg
127038_full.jpg
127034_full.jpg

Santa Claus Jr (Video)

336364-santa-claus-jr-advance-game-boy-advance-screenshot-duck-to.png
336360-santa-claus-jr-advance-game-boy-advance-screenshot-give-presents.png
336361-santa-claus-jr-advance-game-boy-advance-screenshot-christmas.png

*EDIT: OK, someone mentioned Go! Go! Beckham! already so maybe it's more well known that I thought :p

AwShucks

Ninja Five-O is one of the best purchases I have ever made. I was so happy I found it many years ago.

Castlevania Circle of the Moon is the worst. Harmony of Dissonance and Aria of Sorrow are they way to go. Too bad all the good Castlevania games are stupid expensive now.

Legend of Spyro: The Eternal Night is actually pretty good but it's criminally short and ends right when you think the game is just getting started. Like seriously, I just thought the story was starting and I was going to go on a long adventure but then the credits were rolling. I'd have to imagine the publisher went "OK guys we gotta ship this" and they had to just throw an "ending" in there.

vanty

It seems like there are more Bugatti Veyrons in the world than copies of Ninja Five-O. Just not fair. Only two copies on ebay I can find and they're around $150.

And I'll add another recommendation for Drill Dozer as it's excellent and quite easily found for little money. And yeah Metroid Fusion and especially Metroid Zero Mission are excellent if you count them as platformers.

qq more

Mega Man Zero series are really damn good. The first one is really unforgivable in its difficulty for beginners though.

TheOGB

Banned
Probably not in the "best" category, but Santa Claus Jr and Go! Go! Beckham! are two platformers that I enjoy that don't seem to be that well known*. Santa Claus Jr was only released in Europe, and I believe GGB was too, but there's usually a few copies on eBay for good prices.

Go! Go! Beckham! (Video)

127040_full.jpg
127038_full.jpg
127034_full.jpg
Oh my god, is that Super Mario World with David Beckham?

Leynos

I might as well just post my GBA collection, as it is mostly platformers or similar games. I've removed those that don't fit (like Pokemon Pinball, Zelda: Minish Cap, etc.)

Advance Guardian Heroes
Astro Boy: Omega Factor
Castlevania: Circle of the Moon
Crash Bandicoot 2: N-Tranced
Crash Bandicoot: The Huge Adventure
Drill Dozer
Gunstar Super Heroes
Klonoa 2: Dream Champs Tournament
Lady Sia
Metal Slug Advance
Metroid Fusion
Metroid Zero Mission
Rayman 3
Rayman Advance
Sonic Advance & Sonic Pinball Party Combo
Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island
Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3
Super Mario Advance: Super Mario Bros. 2
The Legend Of Spyro: The Eternal Night
Wario Land 4

See as I said Go Go Beckham, seriously if you can find a copy grab it, real hidden gem.
Denki did a fantastic job with it, lovely colourful sprites and art, as always with Denki.
Really short though if your good at your platformers.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I wouldn't really call Lost Vikings a "Lemmings-like" but it's okay. The 16-bit Sega version is the one to get, though.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
A lot of games in this thread that I've never considered before. The GBA is already my favorite handheld, and somehow it just keeps on giving. <3

Starfy games, especially 2 and 3. DK King of Swing. Goemon: New Age Shutsudou!

The best, original, GBA platformer for GBA is Wario Land 4. Unless you call Metroid a platformer, I guess. Or if you count the SMB3 e-Reader levels, but to play those legimitely you'd probably have to spend over a grand (some cards are extremely rare)

Go Go Beckham was ok, but nothing special.

Vitacat

Dragon Ball Advanced Adventure.

This is not fan talk. I know almost nothing about Dragon Ball, but this is a really fun platform game.

eso76

Dragon Ball Advanced Adventure.

This is not fan talk. I know almost nothing about Dragon Ball, but this is a really fun platform game.

Yes yes yes.
Came to say this,using more or less the same words.
I actually hate dragon ball, but that game was extremely well done.

Pikma

Banned
I dunno but this thread reminded me about GBA SRPGs and OMG GBA is like my favorite system ever just for this, Onimusha Tactics, Fire Emblems, Final Fantasy Tactics, Advance Wars, Tactics Ogre, It's just sad that I played all of them for literally thousands of hours and can't get much more out of them anymore, I want more SRPGs. :(

Top Bottom