• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Japan-Exclusive 3DS Games?

I live in the US, and on a trip to Tokyo in 2012 I picked up a Japanese 3DS for a great price. I also bought several games I was pretty sure wouldn't be released here: Kokuga, Runabout 3D, the eShop Picross games and Beyond the Labyrinth. Over time, only the latter ended up staying in Japan. I've taken a more cautious approach to importing 3DS games since then, but now I am ready to go back and make some more "safe" import purchases. These are the games I have listed to get currently:

-Ace Attorney Trilogy (I prefer physical versions of games if possible, and the JP version has English)
-EX Troopers
-Gaist Crusher God

So beyond these I am just looking for suggestions for good likely-to-stay-Japan-exclusive 3DS games I may have missed. Thanks!

All 5 non-online-only Dragon Quest games that haven't made it over here. Most of them can be found for very cheap 2nd hand at book off.

Puyo Puyo Tetris is why I considered getting a Japaense 3ds.

I think the 3DS version has region-locked download play, so you might as well get it on any other platform.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Anything Dragon Quest

And I haven't played it but I'm a sucker for tri-Ace so I'd put Beyond the Labyrinth on that list too

me0wish

rhythm-heaven-boxart.jpg

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
EX troopers has always looked awesome, people really love that game too!
I would love to play it one day.
Yeah, this one.

EX-Troopers-Demo-Now.jpg

EX-Troopers-10-640x373.jpg

The twist: This is a Lost Planet game

The various Kunio titles are great but with the licenese change over they may see a Us release in some form at some point. Gon is a decent, if simplistic, sidescroller that is unlikely to release here. There was a Jajamaru game but even though I enjoyed it, I'm not sure I would recommend it.

kubus

The Yo-Kai Watch games.
But those are actually coming to the West, or at least the first game is :p

OP, since you like physical versions of games, you could look for a copy of GUILD01 which is a retail collection of those small Level-5 games that were released in the west as eShop only titles. GUILD01 has Liberation Maiden, Weapon Shop de Omasse, Aeroporter and Crimson Shroud. Unfortunately GUILD02 never got a physical release in Japan either :(

Speaking of Level-5, Time Travelers will probably never come out here either. That one is also available on Vita though.

I bought both of these recently at a Book-Off for about 750 yen each but prices may vary depending on the store.

Daigassou! Band Brothers P is also really fun and pretty cheap so you could look for that if you want more rhythm games. You can download the "Debut" version on the eShop now for 200 yen, which has almost all of the features as the full version (only the vocaloid and editor are locked out iirc) and you get a few free songs. They're distributing a Splatoon song for free now and other Nintendo tracks will follow soon. If you want a retail copy make sure you buy a new, preferably sealed copy because it comes with a voucher for 100 tomatos (the currency for downloading songs). New copies are around 1000 yen on amazon and include the 100 tomato voucher while buying tomatos in-game as microtransactions will only net you a few tomatos for the same price!

Have fun in Japan btw!

Pretty much everything I have for my system has already been mentioned, so I'll just toss in Culdcept, which has been out for 3 years now and historically has a very shaky localization record, so I feel confident saying it's not coming. Basically it's a hybrid of a property-trading board game like Fortune Street or Monopoly and a trading card game like Magic the Gathering, and it's super cool. It's kinda language dependent, but there's a ton of resources for explaining the rules, and even English card lists. It's a pretty packed game, with a main story mode and pretty extensive online.

Other than that... uh... I think the only other thing I have that hasn't been mentioned or localized is the Japan-exclusive physical release of the Sega 3D Classics, since you said you like having physical games. Plus it exclusively has the Master System 3D games!

Also, be sure to check out Virtual Console for some neat exclusive stuff like Kunio-kun games and Joy Mech Fight.

Kaizu

I've always really wanted to play that Time Travelers VN. Does anyone know if it was any good?

The game contains very bad pseudo science and I really hate bad science in my serious sci fic game so your millage may vary. I didn't complete it for that very reason alone. I also played it after coming off the high from 428( one of the best visual novel I played)and the writing is subpar in comparison(even though they are written by the same dude) so my view might be skewed.

d+pad

A few possibilities off the top of my head:

Dragon Quest VII (if you know Japanese, or if you’ve played the game before)
Rhythm Tengoku: The Best+
Slime Mori Mori Dragon Quest 3
Solitiba (eShop game that combines solitaire and horse racing and is just about the best thing ever once you get a hang of it)
either of the Taiko no Tatsujin games
Zoo Keeper 3D

kiri

Goddamn if I don't love EX Troopers enough - plus its soundtrack is really incredible!

Seconded for the Ace Attorney Trilogy - pick it up!

I second Daigassou Band Bros. - a first-party Nintendo title that was supposed to be a launch title on DS in the US, and Nintendo just never brought it over...or its sequel, or its sequel's sequel, or....

It's a music/rhythm game that treats the 3DS like an instrument, very fun, and I believe it supports multiplayer with just one cartridge.

kunonabi

Culdcept
Beyond the Labyrinth
Derby Stallion Gold
Dragon Quest VII
E.X. Troopers
Island Days
Nazo Waku Yakata: Oto no Ma ni Ma ni
Seisou no Amazones
Time Travelers

These are the games that made owning a Japanese 3DS worth it for me.

evanmisha

If you mean 3DS games that skipped NA, check out the Inazuma Eleven series. Also the last couple Medabots games never left Japan.

kubus

Oh and before I forget, Nintendo Pocket Football Club was never released in the US so you could try looking for a copy if you like footb- I mean soccer. It's called Calciobit in Japan. It's worth getting for the adorable boxart alone if you ask me!

The Inazuma Eleven games also mostly skipped the US and are extremely cheap in Japan.

Oersted

If you mean 3DS games that skipped NA, check out the Inazuma Eleven series. Also the last couple Medabots games never left Japan.

I think all or most are available in Europe

61urtVTiwDL._SY400_.jpg

Oh and before I forget, Nintendo Pocket Football Club was never released in the US so you could try looking for a copy if you like footb- I mean soccer. It's called Calciobit in Japan. It's worth getting for the adorable boxart alone if you ask me!

Available in Europe as Downloadcode in box

61GFJ8grLSL._SY400_.jpg

Hedgey

The first Gaist Crusher with the blocky attachment.
EX Troopers
The free to play UFO Catcher game (you earn badges for your home menu)
The Cat Tower Defense game (eShop only)
Hatsune Miku Project Mirai
Any anime themed game if you're interested in those.
Theatrhythm Dragon Quest
Taiko
The Monster Hunter Cat spinoff game if you like that.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Apparently Nintendo has a music game in Japan with music from Splatoon and Fire Emblem If. Why can't we have nice things too?

cuilan

Of the ones I've played, it's a tie between Culdcept and Minna de Mamotte Knight. Followed by EX Troopers as the runner up.

Someone already described Culdcept, so I'll skip over to Mamotte Knight. It's a 4-player action-based tower defense game done entirely with 8-bit graphics and music. The graphics and sound are all very charming, and more importantly the game is very fun to play. It's pretty much a sequel to the original one on 360, Much like the original, the sequel is also a digital-only title. Also like the original, it doesn't support online multiplayer, but the sequel allows for 4-payer shareplay with only a single copy of the game. The sequel is much heavier on the RPG elements in terms of character progression, and the levels all have fairly distinct layouts. The game is fairly cheap as well.

Jakku

I wonder why Taiko hasn't come over. There must not be that much to translate.. Its a similar situation to Project Diva.

Hedgey

Oh right!
Yeah Daigasso Band Brothers P is another great game to import.
It's a button based rhythm game where you can pick and instrument and play with others online.
It's a lot of fun, easy to pick up and play a couple of songs.
Did I mention it has a ton of Nintendo songs?

DiegoPonga

Neo Member
Dragon Quest VII: Warriors of Eden
Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry's Wonderland
Dragon Quest Monsters 2: Iru and Luca's Marvelous Mysterious Key
Rhythm Tengoku: The Best +
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy

kiri

Yeah, EX Troopers definitely.

C'mon, Capcom... The 3DS is more viable now than ever. Get on that.

Capcom, being the bunch of geniuses they are hardcoded all text as Japanese so there is 0% chance this will ever come out anywhere other than Japan :(

Garlador

Capcom, being the bunch of geniuses they are hardcoded all text as Japanese so there is 0% chance this will ever come out anywhere other than Japan :(

Apparently that's only PARTIALLY true. The text isn't hardcoded for 90% of the game, according to a fan translator working on it. The only hardcoded text is during the prerendered scenes.

Kenka Bancho 6 came out earlier this year and was really great. Quite a lot of text, but easy enough to get through without knowing Japanese. One of my GOTY contenders.

I'm sure Rhythm Tengoku The Best+ will make its way to the rest of the world eventually, but it's also fantastic and another GOTY candidate. Perfect compilation of the older games with some new stuff as well.

khaaan

My hopes are low. There's no way for them to do their typical cultural reference scrubbing.

Does that start happening in later games? I'm lttp to the franchise, maybe an hour or two left before I finish the first game and so far I haven't seen anything completely outrageous aside from maybe the bento box lady and the steel samurai. I don't think the game ever stated where it takes place geographically though.

Top Bottom