• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Japanese-only PSN games?

Priz

One that's certainly missing from this thread it Ore no Ryouri.
oh man, friend picked this up to okay on the Vita, controls worked really well! It brought back memories...

My favorite series is XI/Devil Dice/Bombastic. So much fun, especially multiplayer! Jumbo rules are the best.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I would spend crazy amounts of money on it if they had released it on the US store,
I still just play the heck out of it though, one of my most played last gen(and thats with the energy limit).

ps4 needs an upgrade version or sequel soon imo.

I was surprised to see it do better after how bad that Operation Troy went. Since the game is based off of that same engine right?

Oh yeah on a separate note Ive always been tempted to check out the PC version of Gundam Online just due to the scale of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inJ4DMus0cQ#t=155

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Suikoden I+II PSP never getting an english release still makes me mad. It's like the definitive, wide screen version of both games. Now Konami's kind of in the gutter, so that was the last shot at a release here...

alienator

Tobal 2.

it took me months to complete the dungeon mode in complete japanese and no clue what i was doing.

maybe one of my most enjoyed fighting games ever though ;)

*edit
mistaken psn for psx ;/ sorry! still a great game!

Parakeetman

Am not sure if this is on the US store since I rarely look there, but Warship Gunner 2 is in the JP PSN PSP section.

Pretty enjoyable game if you like arcade type of naval combat with full customization of your ship & weapon layout.

Mine is actually downloading as I type this out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2af2ptOOqVA

meppi

oh man, friend picked this up to okay on the Vita, controls worked really well! It brought back memories...

My favorite series is XI/Devil Dice/Bombastic. So much fun, especially multiplayer! Jumbo rules are the best.

Have it on my Vita as well, but to be honest I'm afraid to ever try it on there since it might strain the sticks a bit.
Still, Ore no Ryouri on the go is something I never would have imagined possible when I originally picked it up. :)

Really wish we'd get more games like that from Japan. They don't need to be big budget, just addictive as hell, tons of fun to play, and of at all possible, batshit insane. :D
Really can't find any fault at all with this game.

Something equally as nutty and a concept that has no business working as good as it actually does, take a look at Power Shovel. It's not as immediate as Ore no Ryouri, and the controls take a while to get good at, but it's lots of fun as well.
Really wish this was on PSN.

Goli

I just noticed Clock Tower: The First Fear is on PSN. So there's that. It's really great. Like, REALLY.

Parakeetman

Sadly no. I really wish the PS2 version was up at least.
Have the import DVD, but still would buy it digitally.

Great choices so far. :)

One that's certainly missing from this thread it Ore no Ryouri.

I remember that game. When I first played it was all like "lol this is like Japanese Tapper" for those who remember that game which it was simply serving beer or the "censored" version as root beer to customers in the bar. Man that shit got hard though.

Its always fun browsing through the PSN store to see what good memories or bad ones I can find. Though I wish they really did a little better job of organizing things. Its weird how the classics are actually organized by genre but all the rest of the stuff is only alphabetical. Sony needs to get on that ASAP for the rest of the store.

dock

On a related note, what's the easiest way to get hold of Japanese PSN points at a good price?
(I could have sworn I had some credit left on my account, but apparently now).

I'm in the UK, but I presume I can buy PSN cards online.

Parakeetman

From the PSP section most def The Last Ranker is pretty awesome by Capcom.

Once you get used to the battle system, the story is decent and the combat is interesting at least I think so lol

kiun

sorry to bump up an old thread, but once you have downloaded these psn games into a PS3 system with a JP PSN account, can you switch and play these with the US PSN account ?

Toad.T

Banned
Pardon the bump (As I cannot create new topics anymore), but I'd like to know what's the best of this service. Open to anything, using a PSTV (So keep that in mind that PS4 and Non-PSTV games are no good.) Have ways to purchase said games, so don't worry about costs. I can fumble around with Japanese using guides/Walkthroughs, so that's not a problem either.

Parakeetman

Pardon the bump (As I cannot create new topics anymore), but I'd like to know what's the best of this service. Open to anything, using a PSTV (So keep that in mind that PS4 and Non-PSTV games are no good.) Have ways to purchase said games, so don't worry about costs. I can fumble around with Japanese using guides/Walkthroughs, so that's not a problem either.

What do you mean by best? Would be far better off if you let people know what kind of titles you are interested in for faster more focused replies?

Toad.T

Banned
What do you mean by best? Would be far better off if you let people know what kind of titles you are interested in for faster more focused replies?

Just the tops and underrated classics in each genre. Mostly looking for PS1/2 classics. If I had to list specified genres, action/platformer/rpg?

Tizoc

I believe Silhouette Mirage is on JP PSN, the JP Crash Bandicoot games have additional voice and cutscenes in them as well if you want to check those out.
If you like 2D action games Gunners' Heaven is like Metal Slug/Gunstar Heroes and has a neat soundtrack.
That's it off the top of my head for now ^^;

Parakeetman

Just the tops and underrated classics in each genre. Mostly looking for PS1/2 classics. If I had to list specified genres, action/platformer/rpg?

*List is in no particular order

Gunstar Heroes

Dynamite Deka

Dark Cloud

2 fantastic pinball games

Devil Crush

Alien Crush

---

Dragon Valor

Summon Night

Summon Night 2

Panzer Bandit

Dew Prisim

Linda Cube Again *If you like odd JRPGs.

Brave Fencer Musashi

Not sure if you will like these, but 2 from software classics for their first person rpgs.

Kings Field III

Shadow Tower *This is not Abyss, that came out on the PS2 and no digital version was made unfortunately.

-------

Rising Zan *Bit janky with controls but hilarious thirdperson cowboy samurai action.

Warriors of Fate

Need to get back to work, so hopefully you will find something useful in that list, granted there is a ton of more stuff on JPSN for the PS1 classics. The PS2 library is a bit sparse and even the US side has stuff that was not released in Japan such as SMT3, Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2, Raido 1 & 2 are some of the big ones.

Top Bottom