• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best laptop under $500?

I am in need of a new laptop as mine has pretty much shit the bed on me, so I am looking to buy one. I can't afford a lot. I am thinking around $500 or less. What's the best I can get?

I'll mostly be using it for browsing, making graphics with Paint Shop Pro, streaming/watching Netflix, Hulu, etc. I don't plan on doing any gaming on it at all except maybe playing The Sims and that's doubtful in the first place.

So, what do you recommend?

Edit: It's also a must that it has a backlit keyboard.

Last edited:

daveonezero

Banned
Portability? A concern?

I’d probably look at a bigger one. Acre has a few decent 15” laptops. I have one that is a few years old but the body is plastic and the screen is shit. Still was around $500 and has been fine.

Well, I am probably keeping it at home. I am hoping I can get a Full HD screen for $500 or less. I've seen some already at that price. Are the Acer laptops made like shit? I want to get something that's going to hold up and is worth a damn. Lol.

you should check out r/laptopdeals subreddit.

Although tbh, at that budget you are probably looking at chromebooks. I suggest you are save more money so you can increase your budget to $700-800. One problem at the $500 range is that it is unlikely the laptop will have an SSD. I do not recommend buying a laptop with only a mechanical HDD.

Does anyone else have any suggestions? I was thinking about saving up for this:

But... I did find a powerhouse on HSN. It basically looks just like my current laptop except mine is red. This isn't slim and it doesn't too fancy, but with $100 payments I could get it quick:

And for a cheaper alternative I found:

Last edited:

DESTROYA

First HP you listed is last years model and crap for storage, try this one:

You get double the storage for like $20 more, and I think it looks nicer. It’s a little more than your asking for but for $500 you have very limited options.

Looks nice. I am trying to get the money together. I'll probably get that one. The Envy's are very nice and I honestly want a 2-in-1 more than a standard laptop.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Are you a "student" ? Best buy usually takes off like 120 off their laptops if you are one. Also don't buy Samsung. Keyboard fucks up in less than a year. (currently typing this with an separate keyboard.)

How about an Ipad? They start at 400 now.

Get a keyboard cover, ipad pencil and procreate later to round it out.

Its a fantastic media consumption device, it has superior screen, audio, and 10 hour battery life, and build quality to any laptop you can get under 500 dollars (and possible even a thousand). Most sub 1k laptops are made from plastic or hybrid plastic constructions. They make major tradeoffs on ergonomics, quality and reliability.

You want to do art - Then use Procreate. Its great! You also get access to free Adobe apps for the ipad that are useful. the improved filesystem lets you easily share via the cloud. For your needs (browsing) ipad makes sense.
Ipads big flaw is still the keyboard. Even with good keyboard covers and OS13 typing long texts is not ideal.

If you are determined not to mess with ipad I suggest holding off buying a device for now and waiting for a Microsoft Surface. Possible waiting until black friday. Then you can have a Windows 10 device that is capable, but with great capabilities. There are lots of rumors of new Surfaces coming soon - It could mean that we would see some aggressive deal on Surface Pro 6 going on deep sales that would allow you to snag a device with typecover and pencil for around 500.

Budget is a budget, but I always worry for people who buy entry level laptops because they are rarely good. And I am not talking about specs. They are build poorly, and many people who buy these entry price laptops from dell, acer, lenovo and so on, end up having to replace them soon. I dont think they are made to last even if you take good care of them. There are exceptions to the rules of course.

The ipad is a great choice because the device is reliable, fast and easy. If you wanna consume media, its just very hard to go wrong. Particularly at the 500 dollars price range. You get an all unibody construction, powerful hardware, great sound and screen. One of the best styluses (expensive) for art. And a lot of battery life.

I don't know. I had a 6th Gen iPad, but I found the 9.7 inch screen too small for my liking. It was cool, so don't get me wrong, but a laptop just suits my tastes/needs better. I do appreciate you recommending it and going so in-depth about it, but it's just not what I need or want at this point in time. If anything, I'd have both with an iPad being my secondary while a laptop would be my primary.

daveonezero

Banned
Well, I am probably keeping it at home. I am hoping I can get a Full HD screen for $500 or less. I've seen some already at that price. Are the Acer laptops made like shit? I want to get something that's going to hold up and is worth a damn. Lol.

This is the acer I was talking about. I have one that is a few years old. It came with an SSD and I put a 1TB drive in it. It's ok. The battery and screen suck. and yeah if you don't take care of it its not as durable as a metal body.

Is Acer a good brand? I always thought it was a cheap-o brand, but maybe I was wrong about them? The laptop looks very nice, so I'm not bitching.

scalman

Something from acer / asus / lenovo on that price will be ok. Could even find with some decent gpu like gt 840/940m. I had asus with that and it was great. Still works this day. Even played witcher 3 on it 720p but all high.
If you need with dvdrom look for model with that as they not have those now

Last edited:

This is a good buy, right? I'm just iffy on the whole modified thing. I don't want to get a damaged laptop, but I doubt I would and I think Amazon's return policy takes care of things like that.

Top Bottom