• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Local Multiplayer Games excluding FPS and Sports

As I was strolling through a games shop today I was kinda on the lookout for a small title that I could play with friends that will come over today - Sadly, I couldn't find anything that I thought would excite them. Those are the same kinda people I used to play all the SNES and N64 Local Multiplayer games with - It's always fun to just sit on your couch with a group of people and play multiplayer games that way - But in the recent years, it kinda feels like the only local multiplayer games available are FPS or Sports games.

And yet, some of my best gaming moments I had with local multiplayer games like Bomberman, Micro Machines or Worms (Worms 1 on the PSone was just insane fun back then), etc. etc.

Are there any really good multiplayer games out there that aren't FPS or Sports games? The last title that _really_ surprised me as a local multiplayer game was Minecraft - Minecraft on the 360 in splitscreen is just tons of fun to play and even though that group of friends first reaction to it was "Jesus, that looks like a PS1 game!", they all got addicted during the very first play session.

Towerfall seems to fit the bill (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Es-okjDMAbI), but it's not out yet. Are there any other great local multiplayer games that can be played by 4 players with full controller support?

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
What consoles do you have?
Little Big Planet games are good fun
I think Dungeon defenders has a coop option o and that game is great

What consoles do you have?
Little Big Planet games are good fun
I think Dungeon defenders has a coop option o and that game is great

All of em, so platform doesn't really matter. What's important is full controller support, so that everyone can sit on the couch and enjoy the game on one screen :)

Smash Bros is great fun in splitscreen/with multiple people, I've spent many an hour playing it with friends.
LBP 2 is another one, trying to get each-other killed is great fun, and playing the ridiculous community levels offers hours of entertainment.

IcyEyes

Little big planet is one of my favorite platform ever ... it's incredible fun.

All the other games posted here are awesome, but I want also suggest Playstation All Start Battle Royal. We really, really have a blast with this game!

FPS and TPS : Gears of war, Halo, Killzone 3 the first that comes in my mind, but there a lot more.
Maybe you should take a look at co-optimus web site. It's a dedicate place for co-op games :)

Apenheul

I haven't played many non-FPS coop games this generation, but Wii had a couple.

PS3
Dead Nation
PixelJunk Monsters

Wii
Contra Rebirth
Kirby's Adventure Wii
Marbles! Balance Challenge (or Marble Saga Kororinpa in the US)
Sin & Punishment 2: Succesor of the Skies
Trauma Center: New Blood

Wii U
Nintendo Land - Metroid Blast

Aguirre

557709_52761_front.jpg

loved playing this with my sister :)

Bert

Erm excuse me Worms on the Amiga was Worms 1! :p

Team Buddies PS1 by far the best 4-player local game. Aside from that, this is my groups current playlist for gettogethers: wrecked (psn), bomber man, Mario kart, rampart, NintendoLand, dead nation, worms, Wii sports, lotr war of the north.

koma

Dokapon Kingdom is really awesome with 4 players, so many crazy / random / fun stuff in there. It's really like a mix of Mario Party, a JRPG and a bit of Sim City. You will lose all your best friends when you'll kill them with a counter-move and steal their cities. Soo good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bv5Ov1h4xfA

Proven

It would help if you told us what consoles/controllers you had. I'd recommend New Super Mario Bros Wii personally.

whiteape

Little Big Planet (including 2 and Karting) and Supersonic Acrobatic Rocked-Powered Battle-Cars (yeah typed that without checkin' it on google).

Mozz-eyes

Banned
It's not really a pick up and play thing, but I have yet to have more fun than playing 4 player monster hunter on PSP.

AAK

Fighting Games
Rayman Origins
Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One
Castle Crashers
Trine 2
Moon Diver
Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition
Portal 2

Top Bottom