• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best martial art movie(s) ever made?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmr87

So fucking good, especially the first one, and Kenji Kawai's soundtrack. Think I need to re-watch this weekend.

Wow.

2J2.jpg
3J2.jpg

this is different from "best martial arts fights" before anyone tries to post those other threads in this one.

Though I'm sure there's a "best martial arts movies" thread somewhere.

dmr87

I like Jackie Chan and Drunken Master 2 is very good, but Donnie Yen's performance in these movies are so, so good.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Came to post Ip Man. Saw Ip Man and realize there was nowhere else to go. You're done OP. The genre is finished for you.

BPoole

IP Man was awesome. I still need to watch the second one. I like Jet Li's Fearless, so I'll add that to the thread.

The Man From No Where is pretty good as well, but probably doesn't fit the bill for martial arts

NastyBook

Ip Man fights floored me. Donnie Yen's control and poise as the Grandmaster just drew me into the scenes more than normally. Watching him dismantle his opponents was too much fun.

Jackie Chan's Who Am I? Gorgeous, and Drunken Master II all had sick ass fight scenes. Brad Allen and Jackie's bodyguard showed out in those films.

But the best martial arts movie ever made was Troublemaker Coming AKA Kung Fu Rebels.

"Fat girrrrrrrrrrl! Ugh Fat GIIIIIRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRL!"

Superb.

Police story 1-3, ONg bak, and tom yum goong

Police story 3 with Jackie chan doing shadow boxing is amazing. Was seriously impressed with it! Though my favorite scene with him in it HAS to be in Wheels on Meals. His fight against Benny Urquidez was insanely well done. Favorite movie tho is Rumble in the Bronx.

Best martial art movie? Jet Li's Fearless is awesome. Loved the over the top action, was really well done. Loved how every weapon choregraphy was done too. It's one of the only martial art movies that is great during the entire time, and not only based on a couple of scenes.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
It's so hard to choose, there are so many greats and depending on the actor you get such a different movie, but I have to say that Kiss of the Dragon holds a very special place in my heart in terms of Jet Li movies at least, even though some of his earlier and later works are technically better.

YaGaMi

Some great movies already mentioned. I can't say there is only one but I'll add:

Fist of Fury
Enter the Dragon
Once Upon a Time in China I & II
Fong Sai Yuk I & II
Prodigal Son
SPL
Blade of Fury

BLunted

Banned
When I was younger, i pretty much loved all the Shaolin moves from the 70's. I should try to find the movies and start a collection.

IP MAN is indeed the best martial art movie ive watched so far.

I might be a bit biased since i used to train at Wing Tsun, it made the movie so much more enjoyable.

Loxley

IP man 2 shouldnt even be grouped together with the first one.

It really is shocking how bad Ip Man 2 is, especially compared to the first one. The fights are still fantastic but my God they lay on the melodrama so damn thick. The cartoonishly evil British boxer was such a joke.

cj_iwakura

Would the original live-action TMNT count? Because it has a great spirit behind it, and some amazing fights, especially given the suits those guys wear.

A Jose Canseco bat?

Limit

Very difficult question. There are so many different martial arts movies that are great for their own particular reasons. If I had to put just one down, I will put the following only because this is one martial arts flick I would be willing to watch over and over again the most:

An excellent Stephen Chow movie. Up there with God of Cookery in terms of comedy.

And by the way, Stephen Chow recently released a new martial arts movie called "Journey to the West" written and directed by him. He doesn't have any on screen role but his comedic stylings are sprinkled throughout this movie. Go watch it.

IP man is my shit. The only other one I can think of is The Raid Redemption. If you guys haven't seen that you need to asap. It's on Netflix if your in the UK or using Hola on Chrome.

It really is shocking how bad Ip Man 2 is, especially compared to the first one. The fights are still fantastic but my God they lay on the melodrama so damn thick. The cartoonishly evil British boxer was such a joke.

yeah the acting from the evil white guys was so bad!!

2nd half of IP Man 2 sucked bad!

Jburton

Banned
Armour-of-god-II-poster.jpg

Armour of God II: Operation Condor is a blast. Kung Fu Indiana Jones.

My man, fantastic movie!

Tried for years when I was younger to do that thing where he taps his hand and the chewing gum leaps into his mouth .......... This movie is full of those trademark Jackie Chan 'neat trick" type things he does so well.

Ip man and it's sequel are definitely up there! as is Drunken Master 2, one of my top movies would be Fearless ......... Solid martial arts flick, that restaurant scene is awesome.

Love Kung Fu Hustle, that movie is stunning from top to bottom, City Hunter is also excellent.

God I miss Jackie Chan as he was back then .......... Hollywood robbed us of the last good 10 years Jackie had in him, I hope the New Police Story movie is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom