• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best playable demos

vladdamad

As the title suggests. What is your favourite playable game demo? For me, that choice is easy - I really, really love the Halloween and Christmas demos of LocoRoco. Not only is that game absolutely amazing (Vita sequel please Sony), those two demos were almost DLC level of quality, with a remix of graphics, music, and gameplay elements - and all of it was absolutely free. Finding all the flowers within the levels was quite tricky, and I am sure if the game was released to day we would have to pay money for those extra levels.

I'm not sure if it's the best, but for me there was nothing quite like the Final Fantasy VII demo bundled with Tobal No. 1.

Weeks of waiting just to spend $50 on a game I really didn't want just to get the demo.

The 90s were a different time.

Vitor711

The Just Cause 2 Demo - massive world and (removable on PC) time limit made it pure bliss. Played that so much before release and loved exploring the island to find the military bases and the like.

3Wg7iUw.jpg

Flippin' over the hills off the track kept me entertained for a billion years.

SJRB

Gold Member
Just Cause 2, especially after the timer glitch that let you play indefinately during a session instead of 30 minutes.

Must've played that demo at least 50 hours, it was pretty crazy.

The Mass Effect 3 demo was amazing. About 1 hour of single player story content, plus 2 multiplayer maps, a couple different character classes. I probably sunk at least 10 hours into the MP part of the demo...

as far as demos go, my favorite demos were for MGS2 and for Tecmo's Deception II. I note the latter mainly because I loved it enough to buy the game even though I had never heard of it before I popped it in the demo disc. I must have killed Daar the Peasant dozens of times trying to find different ways to combo the traps together.

If you want to go back though, my personal favorite was Doom shareware. It wasn't a "demo", but it was cut from that same sort of cloth, and getting a third of an entire game was awesome. Most people I knew at the time never even played episodes 2 or 3 but they loved them some Doom, all the same.

Ein Bear

The Halo PC demo was ridiculously good. You got the best level from the campaign and the best multiplayer map.

Waaghals

Half-Life Uplink.

Was a standalone level not found in the full game. It gave the player a taste of the full game by containing both aliens, soldiers and platforming segments.

It is all that was awesome about HL1 condensed into a 40-minute trial.

I know the demo for Heavy Rain sold a lot of copies. It was a brilliant showcase of what the game was about and how it played, while luring the player into its mystery at the same time.

Soul Sacrifice, just for sheer content.

Bust-a-Groove. There wasn't much to it, but I played it relentlessly, so much so that I was begging for the full game weeks before its release.

Morzak

Tony Hawk Pro Skater Demo played that demo so much.
Kerbal Space Program Demo, more fun then most 60$ dollar releases in demo form.....

Sojgat

Warhammer 40,000 Space Marine and Vanquish demos were both great, and sold me on those games.

Recently the Rayman: Legends demo was really good, Castle Rock was one of the three included stages.

Does BC2 demo/beta count? Played the hell out of that thing.

cacildo

Just cause 2 i know i know its an amazing demo its also one of the few demos in the world that ever sold me on a game

But you´re forgetting another one: Red Faction Guerrilla.

Because it held the promise of a game that was going to be even better than the demo, which was merely the beginning. Sadly, the full game outstayed its welcome by about 5 or 6 hours. It was a fantastic game, but going by the demo, it could have been even better I guess.

I would like to second Destruction Derby and add Duke Nukem and Quake shareware.

Top Bottom