• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best recent shonen action manga

Status
Not open for further replies.
Over the past couple of years, I've been getting back into shonen action stuff, revisiting some old favorites and checking out things I'd never read. I watched all of DBZ Kai, read and watched some One Piece, got back into Hokuto no Ken, and I'm reading Naruto for the first time (enjoying it a lot, even post time-skip). I feel like a lot of other folks on GAF are going through their own manga kick these days, given the number of threads I see about shonen arcs, recommendations, passionate debates over overpowered jutsus, etc. It might just be a coincidence, but it seems like people are excited about manga in a way that I haven't noticed for several years.

However, a lot of the old guard of action manga is gone or soon to end. One Piece is in its twilight years, Naruto, Toriko, and Bleach are over. There are still a few spin-offs around like Boruto and Dragon Ball Super, but those are done by other people and the creators are just there in a "story planning" capacity. When I look at the newer stuff that's serialized in Shonen Jump now (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weekly_Shōnen_Jump#Features), there are a lot of romance, comedy, and sports manga, and quite a bit less of the action/fighting stories that I associate with Jump.

So, what's the next chapter in this story? What are the next big titles in shonen action? What's got you excited and pumped up right now? What characters will be emblazoned on oversized Hawaiian-style shirts in a few years? What series should get a fighting game by Arc System Works? What upcoming fight scenes are you daydreaming about?

Two really good recent shonen action things I've read/watched...

MY HERO ACADEMIA

The story isn't unique by any means, but the presentation is very charming. The art is clean and sharp and really, really good. The character designs just have this sense of openness and freshness that I love. The powers are simple but very creative and they get used in really imaginative ways. I can't wait to see where this story goes!

onepunch.jpg

ONE PUNCH MAN

The mixture of crazy action, over the top humor, great character designs, and a taste for the absurd make this one an instant classic. I've only seen the anime, but I'm looking forward to digging into the manga. The big fight scene against Boros was out of this world, so much style and flair. It's remarkable that the story continually found ways to make things tense and exciting and cool, even though Saitama is so damn powerful.

Interesting how both of these series are inspired by American-style superheroes (though One Punch Man has a tokusatsu influence as well), instead of the usual manga themes like ninjas, samurai, martial arts, shinigami, Japanese folk lore, etc. Maybe it's the international popularity of the Marvel films?

These are the only two titles I can think of that fit the description of New Shonen Action Hotness. Do you all have something different to add? What are you loving right now?

kirblar

Seems like there's been a swing toward FMA/Attack on Titan -style stuff - lots of action, but very much a story w/ a beginning and end instead of open-ended adventuring. Might be due to the importance of Anime adaptations in the modern market.

I don't know why there needs to be a next big thing.

Much like video game, I see hype as 100% negative and detrimental to either the product itself or it's ability to be discussed.

I mean, I love My Hero Academia but I don't see how something getting popular will make it better.

However, a lot of the old guard of action manga is gone or soon to end. One Piece is in its twilight years, Naruto, Toriko, and Bleach are over.
Do you mean twilight years as in ending OP? I'd wager OP is active for a bit over a decade. I suspect the series will last around 30 years or so.

I'm finishing Haikyuu season 2 at the moment and will likely jump into season 3 afterwards. Lovely series, very fun, and I enjoy the games.

Pretty into Promised Neverland. Not sure why people aren't really talking about it. It's still pretty new though so I dunno.

I've been enjoying it too, but is it really considered a "shonen Action manga"? The pace has been pretty slow so far, with not a ton of action at all. Feels more like a psychological thriller of sorts.

Kyuur

It isn't shonen but neither is OPM so whatever:

Tokyo Ghoul (& :re)
VFegkGt.jpg

Right up there with the two 'big' ones in the OP. Reactions here on GAF are pretty mixed but I think its fantastic (and sales seem to reflect that).

Seven Deadly Sins is pretty popular too, but I'm not a big fan.

I like Fire Brigade of Flames (which is by the author of Soul Eater) and Black Clover (which is about a boy without magic in a world where everyone else has it)

I hope they get anime adaptations one day

Permanently A

My Hero Academia feels committee designed. I mean I read it, but absolutely nothing about it stands out to me besides the incredibly consistent quality of art.

VFegkGt.jpg

Right up there with the two 'big' ones in the OP. Reactions here on GAF are pretty mixed but I think its fantastic (and sales seem to reflect that).

I love Tokyo Ghoul a lot, but boy is it hard to follow.

StMeph

One Punch Man kind of gets bogged down by cast bloat. There are some great characters, but also awful ones, and it starts to take off and spend too much time on less interesting interactions.

One Punch Man kind of gets bogged down by cast bloat. There are some great characters, but also awful ones, and it starts to take off and spend too much time on less interesting interactions.
I'll catch heat but I feel the same about hunterxhunter and one piece.

But that's just me. I'm also itching for some new shounen.

RangerBAD

Tokyo Ghoul is the biggest offender I can think of.

Hmm, I thought Oda said that OP was 70% done or so? I might have misunderstood.
His original was to make it 5 years. 4 years ago, he said it was like 65% I think lol.. I would bet large sums of money that the story lasts at least 25 years old, but my best guess is roughly 30 years. Just the arcs alone that need to be done are
Big Mom, Kaido, Wano, island with Giants, the war, reaching One Piece, possibly another with BB if it's not a confrontation at One Piece, revolutionaries arc. That's 6-8 years right there, and that's assuming that there's absolutely 0 detours in the story or any other islands/arcs which I sincerely doubt.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
If you liked One Punch Man I'd venture reading Mob Psycho 100 though be aware there is nor nedrawn version like One Punch Man. That said I like MP100 even more than One Punch Man at this point. Its got a better cast of characters, even better humor and has some incredible fights through out. The anime actually improves on the manga.

Galang

Banned
His original was to make it 5 years. 4 years ago, he said it was like 65% I think lol.. I would bet large sums of money that the story lasts at least 25 years old, but my best guess is roughly 30 years. Just the arcs alone that need to be done are
Big Mom, Kaido, Wano, island with Giants, the war, reaching One Piece, possibly another with BB if it's not a confrontation at One Piece, revolutionaries arc. That's 6-8 years right there, and that's assuming that there's absolutely 0 detours in the story or any other islands/arcs which I sincerely doubt.

Ack. There's so much stuff to go. Honestly sounds like there's a good 15 years of content left. I have faith in Oda compared to other writers at least... we'll see the ending eventually.

Everyone keeps making this mistake, but One-Punch Man is a seinen. The website the manga updates on is for Young Jump, a seinen manga magazine.

Mendrox

Strg+f "nanatsu" hmm

Nanatsu no Taizai obivously. It is still the new Hit in Japan and the quality is good. Topseller every year

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Fire Punch! lol

It has some action, but it's mostly random what the fuck moments. I consider this year as recent.

Is Fire Punch considered Shounen?

With all the crazy shits, cannibalism, decapitation, rape, etc etc, a Shounen?

Strg+f "nanatsu" hmm

Nanatsu no Taizai obivously. It is still the new Hit in Japan and the quality is good. Topseller every year

Meh, the lead guy is such a sexual assaulter and the fact that the lead lady outright said "You can grope me anytime you want!" (Japan, ladies and gentlemen, lol) soured me on the series, to be honest. At least whenever those two characters appear.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Get your hot-blooded sumo wrestling in Hinomaru Zumou. Too good. Over 100 chapters right now.
Hinomaru Zumou has some of the best action current WSJ has to offer. No other manga running brings the same type of high. Currently in the middle of 50+ chapters hyped clash of two relative top top tiers. The great thing about the manga is the side characters aren't worthles and go through their own fully realised character arcs.

Betty

Banned

VFegkGt.jpg

First season of the Anime was trash, lousy main character with some of the worst attempts at censoring I've ever seen.

How does a show like HxH have more gruesome, explicit gore than a show about cannibals?

keuja

VFegkGt.jpg

Yep, my favorites "new" manga with One punch man. Very well written manga and the art is top notch too.

Permanently A

First season of the Anime was trash, lousy main character with some of the worst attempts at censoring I've ever seen.

How does a show like HxH have more gruesome, explicit gore than a show about cannibals?

Tokyo Ghoul's anime is hot garbage.

The manga is a thing of beauty.

Spoiler for torture and gore and a spoiler for the series.

img000010.png

Betty

Banned
Tokyo Ghoul's anime is hot garbage.

The manga is a thing of beauty.

Spoiler for torture and gore and a spoiler for the series.

Couldn't even tell what was happening in that scene until a character said it.

That entire episode was literally torture though, just a mess.

Mendrox

Is Fire Punch considered Shounen?

With all the crazy shits, cannibalism, decapitation, rape, etc etc, a Shounen?

Meh, the lead guy is such a sexual assaulter and the fact that the lead lady outright said "You can grope me anytime you want!" (Japan, ladies and gentlemen, lol) soured me on the series, to be honest. At least whenever those two characters appear.

Nya that is typicall shounen from back then sadly but other shounen are way worse. Everything else is very good though and I love the Lore and characters

Qvoth

I loved original Tokyo ghoul
With Tokyo ghoul re I have no idea who and what anyone's talking about
It's definitely not shonen though

I think just because OPM isn't on a shonen magazine it should be classified as not shonen, it's very tame imo

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I loved original Tokyo ghoul
With Tokyo ghoul re I have no idea who and what anyone's talking about
It's definitely not shonen though

I think just because OPM isn't on a shonen magazine it should be classified as not shonen, it's very tame imo
Shounen isn't a genre it's a demographic. That's why the magazine it's published on (which tarfets a certain demographic) determines what demographic the manga is supposed to be targeting.

Just because a kid's book has mature themes and events doesn't stop it from targeting kids primarily. Same with supposedly adult stories with plotting and events not dissimilar to a children's story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom