• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best roguelike on the DS - New official thread of you will buy Shiren DS

To my knowledge, Sugiyma has been involved in composing for every single Shiren title - I know for sure that he handled the music for the SFC title (and Torneko before it), and I'm fairly sure he's behind any possible new music in the DS version. He composed for at least one Chun Soft game before that (that JESUS Bio Monster sound novel thing on Famicom), and Chun Soft was always in really tight with Enix (dunno if that still stands). I'm quite sure he's doing Shiren 3 on Wii.

I rather wished the other one hadn't been locked, but I guess I was right when I guessed that setting hyperbole to MAX and ramping up my SWERWRDS stat would attract attention. Not that there really is that much hyperbole - I honestly believe that this is excellent, excellent game.

Volcynika said:
Will the final dungeon eat my soul?

There is a high probability of this, yes, so you may want to check your insurance policy.

LordGek

Volcynika said:
Will the final dungeon eat my soul?

Oooohh yeah!

Few ever defeat it, most will give up in disgust...but others will just futilely keep trying making barely perceptible improvements after 100's of attempts!

I have to give the game huge props that the post story dungeons really let you find your grove, as it were.

I, personally, like the idea of playing from scratch and seeing how far I can make it with just what I can scavenge and buy (or steal) from the occasional dungeon shops which is what Fay's Final Problem is all about.

But what about the guy who defeated the main dungeon with wondrously built up equipment and has his own ultimate power grouping of items? The game has at least three very thematically different dungeons that will let you keep going with your super sword, armor, and death beams (one of these dungeons is actually a very cool continuation of the main game's dungeon with even nastier boss monsters)!

And what more proof do you need than Dark Steve there? Clearly at some point he was a perfectly functional human...but now he just sits in the corner drooling as he plays this damned game, occasionally muttering stuff like, "C'mon, VOMIT ON ME! Pappa needz his rice balls!"

keanerie

Jimmy Stav said:
Wait, so if I were to make it to the last dungeon and die, I'd start back at level 1? Huh?

Yep, that's how these types of games work - now burn your Morrissey avatar and be a man.

Three Shiren DS threads in the last week? I think you guys have done your job to flame the hype. And oh what's this? With a recent influx of income, my wallet now overfloweth, and SHIREN DS is MINE.

dark steve said:
Think of it like Diablo....when was the last time you played a Diablo II act from start to finish without dying once?

When I played Hardcore, of course!

Teknoman

I think I may have edged Shiren over FFVII Crisis Core. I didnt know Crisis Core was 39.99, and I havent really liked any FF main series game spin off thus far...still trying to prioritize things though.

Jimmy Stav said:
Wait, so if I were to make it to the last dungeon and die, I'd start back at level 1? Huh?

The dungeon structure isn't the same as in other RPGs. There's one main "story" dungeon, and every few floors of it, you'll reach a new area or enter a rest spot like a town. If you die in it, you get sent back to the start (unless you have a herb of revival).

The extra/secret dungeons are optional/separate from the main dungeon, and I'm quite sure that the true final dungeon can be accessed from the very start of the main dungeon (the first area in the game). But it's optional to beating the game - it's basically the game's "supreme challenge".

keanerie said:

Oh, right, duh. I forgot hardcore, because honestly, I'm not really that hardcore enough to see my precious, carefully sculpted characters die horrible, humiliating deaths.

Granted, the only way I ever play Diablo 2 any more is summon-based necromancer - inefficient as they are against bosses and harder difficulties, I absolutely love having all those lovely skeletal idiots surround me and do the work for me. Now that is fantasy roleplaying.

LordGek

dark steve said:
The dungeon structure isn't the same as in other RPGs. There's one main "story" dungeon, and every few floors of it, you'll reach a new area or enter a rest spot like a town. If you die in it, you get sent back to the start (unless you have a herb of revival).

The extra/secret dungeons are optional/separate from the main dungeon, and I'm quite sure that the true final dungeon can be accessed from the very start of the main dungeon (the first area in the game). But it's optional to beating the game - it's basically the game's "supreme challenge".

You also, if too lazy to go through a few levels of the main dungeon to get to a specific spin off dungeon's starting point there is a guy in the first town that can give you a free ride to that point instantly. While handy for a couple of the dungeons you can easily start as a first level character, it makes no sense in some of the later dungeons that its assumed you're already 10th to 20th level as you start (or at least that is how tough the monsters are).

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
With randomly generated dungeons? WILL NOT PLAY

Fuck random dungeons, they screwed Lufia 3 (a game with an interesting and well written story, good combat system and forest of 100 floors (yes, floors))

randomly generated dungeons are absolute crap!

Those lazy developers at Chunsoft should make something original, not the same garbage over and over

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Actually, to be completely fair, what utterly ruined Lufia GBC's exploration wasn't randomized dungeons, but a horrible and beyond simplistic randomization algorithm.

Saitou

Banned
I'm buying this game twice.

The US version, to play.
The JPN version, to chuck the US box out the fucking window.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
manueldelalas said:

Fuck random dungeons, they screwed Lufia 3 (a game with an interesting and well written story, good combat system and forest of 100 floors (yes, floors))

Those lazy developers at Chunsoft should make something original, not the same garbage over and over

*diablo raises his monstrous head, his nostrils pulsating, sensing the wretched, tasty smell of the wriggling soul, his burning eyes slowly fixating the body - the fleshy vessel*

keanerie

manueldelalas said:

Diablo II
Persona 3
Every roguelike

It doesn't work in the wrong context, but it's perfect in plenty others.

Where's Dragona to threaten bannation to all those opposed to this game?

Mejilan

Saitou said:
I'm buying this game twice.

The US version, to play.
The JPN version, to chuck the US box out the fucking window.

Or you could buy the US version to play, and download the boxart to the JP version to swap.

keanerie said:
Yep, that's how these types of games work - now burn your Morrissey avatar and be a man.

Three Shiren DS threads in the last week? I think you guys have done your job to flame the hype. And oh what's this? With a recent influx of income, my wallet now overfloweth, and SHIREN DS is MINE.

Hey now, let's not drag Moz into this.

zoku88

Whoa, Sugiyama did the music for this? My hype increased from 0 to some number that is greater than 0...

>.>

keanerie

GreenNight said:
If you guys like this game, try Nethack. Hardcore+++ and free.

Occasional Nethacker myself, have yet to ascend. Some day, it'll happen. From the GameSetWatch column linked in the OP, sounds like this is pretty comparable to Nethack as far as roguelikes go - seems like it's a tad more forgiving though.

Mejilan

GreenNight said:
If you guys like this game, try Nethack. Hardcore+++ and free.

I prefer Angband, Zangband, TOME, ADOM, hell, just about anything over Nethack!

womp

This actually looks pretty cool, and I'm huge for dungeon crawlers.

Once I finish up Dungeon Explorer I'll check this out.

Mejilan

More like very fast paced turn based. Basically, nothing really happens until you take an action, but once you do (move, use item, change equipment, attack, etc.), then EVERY other baddy takes a turn too. So it plays out very strategically, but quickly. That's the short of it, anyway.

beef3483 said:
Is this an action RPG? If so, then my interest is piqued.

It's turn-based, but in a unique way - every action you take (moving, attacking, consuming an item) except for changing the direction you face consumes a turn, and enemies will make their moves in that same turn (some enemies can move twice a turn, but they are comparatively rare). So there is an "attack" button, and you can try to actively avoid enemies, but it's not exactly real-time, you know?

Think of it more like a chess game in which you are moving pieces...only you and your enemy take a single action each turn, and you get to choose your move first.

Man, I wish I wasn't so tired. If anyone thinks they can write up a really convincing summary of the gameplay, I'm perfectly open to a mod adding it to the opening (and would welcome the help). I'm just too bushed to do it right now.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
All that matters is this: Is it more fun than Izuna?

That game bored the hell out of me and now I don't touch similar games (was my first 'roguelike')

soultron

Banned
I just want a cartoon done with that amazing art. Fuck the game.

I lied. I'm getting it. Izuna's been finished for a long time, so it's time for a new rogue-like!

I just ordered it this morning. I can't wait :D

I was lucky enough to be introduced to the Roguelike genre through Shiren, and it's still the best I've played.

Mejilan said:
Actually, to be completely fair, what utterly ruined Lufia GBC's exploration wasn't randomized dungeons, but a horrible and beyond simplistic randomization algorithm.

I totally agree. And I played through the entire thing anyway. Where the hell is my new Lufia game?

Speaking of Lufia, is the GBA game worth a purchase?

Teasel said:
remember kids,everytime you compare this game to pokemon mysterious dungeon,god kills a kitten (or an angel loses his wings... i don't really remember how it works,maybe a kitten loses his wings?)
as for the reason why this game is better than pokemon,i already explained myself here
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9970368&postcount=9

I wouldnt' say better.

Just different.

I'd say the difference between Pokemon Mystery Dungeon and this are the differences between Pokemon and Dragon Quest.

Both fun games that I love.

manueldelalas said:

Die please. <3

Lakupo

FoxSpirit said:
Can somebody but up a very high quality scan of the Japanese cover so I can swap this for the terrible US one?
I second this! Pleeease? Pretty please with a cherry on top?

I really got into Shiren last year, and recorded a video of an in-game demo. There's like six demos, but they're mostly boring walks through towns... that one is crazy enough to more than make up for it though. Disclaimer: the game is usually not that crazy. Thankfully.

Man, I've been eagerly anticipating this for a while, but my budget's now a little tighter after grabbing some rare RPGs at a video store clearance sale last week. :| But with cover art like that, it ain't going anywhere. *sob* Maybe I'll sell some crappy DS game to pay for it... anyone want Yoshi's Island DS? :3

Id.

Already paid in full! Just have to wait for it to come in and pick up and spend countless hours with it!

So when you say 'BEST RPG ON THE DS', what games might other disagreeing parties name?

I just bought my girlfriend a DS and I'm looking for some good games.

TheExodu5

Banned
What kind of combat is in this game? Turn based traditional? Hack and slash?

Fallout-NL said:
So when you say 'BEST RPG ON THE DS', what games might other disagreeing parties name?

Probably Pokemon D/P and Etrian Odyssey would be named. Also, a bunch of SNES RPG ports for the GBA. RPGs on the DS aren't that great otherwise.

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
Fallout-NL said:

Etrian Odyssey... good luck finding it though :lol

LordGek

TheExodu5 said:
What kind of combat is in this game? Turn based traditional? Hack and slash?

You take a step/action, the monsters all take a step/action. No separate battle mode, its all on the same screen. While facing an adjacent baddy you hit the "A" button and you're swinging your held weapon. This, of course, counts as an action, so then all of the monsters can move, attack, or use their special abilities.

FoxSpirit said:
Can somebody but up a very high quality scan of the Japanese cover so I can swap this for the terrible US one?

Thirding this. In fact, does anyone have a high-res of the actual artwork used for the boxart or any other artwork other than the four desktops on the JP Sega/Chunsoft Shiren DS page?

LordGek

callous said:
Jesus Christ what went wrong with that cover. It's like they're trying to attract Sudeki fans.

It just screams "Late-80's-Kick-Ass-Double-Dragon-Edgy" to me (not in a good way)!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Fallout-NL said:
So when you say 'BEST RPG ON THE DS', what games might other disagreeing parties name? I just bought my girlfriend a DS and I'm looking for some good games.

RPGs on the DS--

Japanese Only: Dragon Quest IV R, Final Fantasy IV R, Tales of Innocence, Tales of the Tempest, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon 2, Final Fantasy Tactics A2, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates, Super Robot Taisen W, Mega Man Star Force 2, SD Gundam G Generation Crossdrive, The World Ends With You, Mushi King 728712, Dragon Ball Z Harukanaru Densetsu, Naruto RPG 2, Mushi King 728713, Archaic Sealed Heat, SD Gundam G Generation DS, Egg Monster Hero, Rune Factory 2, Naruto RPG 3, Naruto RPG, Doraemon RPG, Doraemon RPG 2, Summon Night DS, Atelier Lise, Xenosaga I+II, Metal Saga, River King: Mystic Valley

In English, but not available in the US: Tingle RPG

Available in the US: Pokemon DP, Dragon Quest Monsters Joker, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, Final Fantasy III, Izuna: Legend of the Unemployed Ninja, Pokemon Ranger, Mega Man Star Force, Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings, Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time, Children of Mana, Digimon World DS, Shiren the Wanderer, Rune Factory: A Fantasy Harvest Moon, Etrian Odyssey, Mega Man Battle Network 5, Front Mission, Heroes of Mana, Luminous Arc, Magical Starsign, Puzzle Quest, Lunar: Dragon Song, Contact, Lunar Knights

I think that's it.

Top Bottom