• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best screen portrayal of Bane

In honor of of the Baneiversary a few days ago, I feel we should look back upon the character's . . . rich history outside of comics.

Batman: TAS

191.jpg

tumblr_m861wqA1sk1qm4w2go7_1280.jpg

tumblr_m9wdauFLko1qec5kdo4_400.gif

Bane appears in a couple of Batman TAS episodes, and gets jobbed pretty hard in all of them. Some say that this was done specifically to show that this Batman could not be broken like that scrub in the comics, but meh.

Batman and Robin

Bane is one of Poison Ivy's mooks in this movie. I don't remember much about this, but I assume it's stupid.

The Batman

I like The Batman's redesigns more than most, but even Red Hulk Bane is pushing it for me (though I like his weird BDSM-themed unpowered design). That said, it's probably the my favorite onscreen treatment of the character. He's smart and strong, the voice is spot-on, and he absolutely beats the shit out of Batman.

The Brave and the Bold

Bane gets a brief appearance in The Brave and the Bold. His appearance contains about 60 DC in-jokes, see if you can find them all!

Arkham games

Bane appears in the Arkham games, and he's actually pretty cool in them. He even reforms in one of them, if I recall.

The Dark Knight Rises

He's a big guy.

I'm sure there are a couple I missed, but I haven't seen them so they don't exist.

So, what's your favorite?

While I wasn't big on the character design for Bane in The Batman, I felt it captured the character somewhat well. BTAS they didn't make him enough of a threat, Batman & Robin is just no, and TDKRises wasn't terrible but him being a lackey kinda ruined it for me.

Yeah, the games are the only ones that don't take a shit on the character, honestly. Maybe Brave and the Bold is OK, haven't seen it.

WatTsu

I was sort of lukewarm on the movie in general but I enjoyed the casting of Doug Benson doing his terrible/wonderful Tom Hardy impersonation in the Lego Batman movie.

While I wasn't big on the character design for Bane in The Batman, I felt it captured the character somewhat well. BTAS they didn't make him enough of a threat, Batman & Robin is just no, and TDKRises wasn't terrible but him being a lackey kinda ruined it for me.

The Batman is basically a 1:1 adaptation of the Bane parts of Nightfall (up to and including Alfred leaving and coming back), so it's probably the most true-to-the-comics version, if nothing else.

Ithil

I feel like none of them have ever done it perfect. Arkham Origins was probably the closest, as a blending of multiple versions.

TDKR was the only time when he wasn't a complete 90s joke. He was even awful in the Animated Series. And (almost) every character was great in that.

Arkham Origins is best Bane
Yeah. Best non-comic depiction. I kind of like the Dark Knight Rises one, but the movie has too many flaws for him to quite pull through.

What I especially like about the Origins one is how they go out of the way to "explain" why he's just a dumb monster meathead in the other games.

AO Bane is one of the few Batman characters where the TAS version isn't the version I think of first when I think of a Batman character.

They really did a good job with him in that game.

I don't like TDKR Bane because there's no venom and he isn't a luchador, and those feel important to his character for me.

Arkanius

The Dark Knight Rises Bane
It's the only one that made Bane a legit villain. A giant heap of muscles never interested me.

Neith

Banned
The Dark Knight Rises Bane
It's the only one that made Bane a legit villain. A giant heap of muscles never interested me.

He was awesome in the film too, until the last third of that film went batshit insane. They should have kept Bane mysterious and powerful and in the shadows. He was freaky as all hell until he came out and started randomly talking to people.

batman & robin

Ahha. It has been so long. Is this real lol?

Top Bottom