• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best spy/thriller games ?

samoilaaa

I just watched Sicario and its one of the best fucking movies ive ever seen

The problem is that now i feel empty and i need some games to fill that void , games that have the same tone/story , great characters that keep your hooked to the screen

Any ideas ?

R6Rider

Gold Member
I can't really think of anything. Most games don't have that kind of pacing needed to be a full on thriller.

Robb

Gold Member
Not sure if it’s what you’re looking for but the Max Payne games spring to mind.

RagnarokIV

The Getaway

The_Getaway_PS2.jpg

Max Payne

images

Arachnid

Deus Ex and Splinter Cell

Hitman gives some solid spy-type espionage but I wouldn't really call it a thriller. EDIT: I guess it is a thriller actually. It just mixes in a ton of camp which kind of kills the serious tone (which is a strength IMO). The above take themselves more seriously.

Last edited:

theHFIC

If you have a friend to play it with, Operation: Tango (Steam link, also on PS4/PS5 and Xbox) was a good one. One of those games where two people work to accomplish an espionage goal but each person sees / does something different. Requires communication and some synchronized activity. It takes place in a more future / fantasy world but there is plenty of spy and espionage. But again... only play with someone you know, this is next to impossible to enjoy with strangers.

Vlodril

Alpha Protocol by far. It's a broken mess though gameplay wise. It is so good though that i managed to ignore that and finish it 7 times. Most of the runs i saw new things too. Really salty we didn't get a sequel.

damidu

KGB, extremely old point and click adventure, if you can handle, found by luck it was great

Last edited:

Virex

Banned
No One Lives Forever 1 and 2(If you have boxed copies). But neither are available on Steam, which is a tragedy. But I have 2 PCs that are made for playing my older boxed copies. Don't know why NOLF 1 and 2 aren't available on Steam. Great games, especially NOLF 2

fart town usa

Gold Member
Alpha Protocol is on my "to-check out" list as I overlooked it back when it released...saying that though where is the new Bond game?
It's such a cool game. Melee/Stealth kind of breaks the game in a good way but it's good fun all around. Nolan North plays a great role too in the supporting cast.

brian0057

Banned
Splinter Cell: Double Agent (both versions).
The original Assassin's Creed from 2007.
Sleeping Dogs.
Literally any Hitman game that isn't Absolution.

stn

Deus Ex (all of them), Splinter Cell (all of them), Bourne Conspiracy, and Alpha Protocol. Also, I loved 007: Blood Stone. There are some others but these are enough to get you started, OP.

Kupfer

If it's about presentation, involve ice-cold killers and be gritty, then Kane & Lynch Dead Men and Kane & Lynch 2 Dog Days might be something.
They are not necessarily polished spy thrillers, but they are gritty, dirty, cold and deliver a nice story.
Also quiete fun playing with a buddy in coop from start to finish.
The games are far from being AAA polished cinematic mainstream games like you're used to today. They feel different, rougher, but when it clicks you stick with it.
I really liked the atmosphere in both games, you don't play heroes, you don't save the world you don't feel good doing what you do.
No high tech, no frills, sometimes you're just naked with a rancid revolver.

HpT3WcA.jpg

erf2Z7D.jpg

The games used to be overlooked, partly for a reason, partly because they were too disturbing for some, but for me they are 2 good games of their time that I could call guilty pleasure.

On top of that, they cost nothing today.

Last edited:
This thread reminded me that devs just stopped making spy stuff for some stupid reason. I guess devs are too lazy these days to craft AI that can adapt to stealth mechanics. Ubisoft just copy pastes the AI from previous games. I suppose Hitman trilogy is the only modern spy stuff that does everything amazingly well. Stealth, immersive, variety, amazing locations. I need to replay it but I would like something new. Maybe their new James Bond game will be good, assuming that project aint dead.

Dazraell

Splinter Cell series, especially Splinter Cell Chaos Theory and Splinter Cell Conviction
Alpha Protocol
No One Lives Forever

If you don't mind cyberpunk setting, I would also recommend Deus Ex series. Apparently the upcoming Phantom Liberty expansion to Cyberpunk is also labeled as "spy thriller"

Tams

The Saboteur.

Sleeping Dogs (if you just stick to the main story line).

Both NOLF games are fantastic, as is XIII (no idea what happened to the remaster that was being worked on).

Last edited:
Top Bottom