• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Suspense Scene/Sequence in a Movie or TV Show!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speevy

Banned
KQiwjIL.jpg

That's probably the most suspenseful scene the Coens have ever done

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Can I just say the entirety of The Blair Witch Project or Paranormal Activity? God the pacing in those are so good. Yeah, it's all just one big lead up to one scare, but they are so consistent in their descent and subtlety that I can just gush over their simple yet elegant scripts all day!

Ravek

Banned
Can I just say the entirety of The Blair Witch Project or Paranormal Activity? God the pacing in those are so good. Yeah, it's all just one big lead up to one scare, but they are so consistent in their descent and subtlety that I can just gush over their simple yet elegant scripts all day!

Blair Witch Project is a great example. Should have thought of it myself.

lednerg

I don't know what the 'best' is, but you guys need to watch Captain Phillips from last year. Because holy fucking shit. I don't want to give away spoilers.

DiscoJer

There's an old WW1 movie by Howard Hughes called Hell's Angels.

Part of it is a dirigible raid over London. In a lot of ways, it's like a submarine scene in the air.

Really tense and suspenseful. I was surprised how caught up I was in it when I saw it on TCM a few months ago.

edit:

http://vimeo.com/10989337

maomaoIYP

The Talented Mr Ripley. Any scene where he's right on the edge of being discovered. I was shivering with anticipation and excitement in the cinema, and till this date it's the only movie ever to make me do so.

I'm sure I could think up better examples after awhile but the very first film/sequence that came to mind was The Strangers.

The whole sequence
that starts with the guy with the sack on his head banging on the door or window
was incredibly stressful to me.

Edit: Also the whole home invasion sequence in High/Haute Tension.

No Country for Old Men the thread. Jeez. I had to stop the movie on the first attempt to watch when Sugar was talking to his old associate before he killed. Only time I've had to do that.

The Scream movies are mostly remembered for all their jokey commentary, and it's kind of overshadowed that they have some fantastic suspense scenes.

The most famous one, of course, the first scene with Drew Barrymore (this one especially since it was before you knew what the killer's MO was so you weren't quite sure what was going to happen).

Part 2 also had the scene where the girls had to crawl over an unconscious killer in a crashed car, and there was also a chase scene with Courtney Cox that might be the best I've seen in this type of horror movie.

Dalek

I seriously can't believe no one hasn't mentioned this. I came into this thread expecting this to be every post.

nightvision1.gif

Also the ending of Blood Simple is fucking amazing.

nawwafh

Inglourious Basterds opening and tavern scene (as mentioned)
Inception.. the very last scene
Black Swan (last 30 mins)

De Palma has a great eye for suspense sequences. The train station chase in Carlito's Way with the escalators scene in particular.

I would counter the notion that Aliens does not have suspense because it is considered an action film. The whole build up of the search of the colony buildings is amazing with not an alien in sight or shot fired.

Both Alien and Aliens have amazing suspense scenes.

In Alien, the search of the derelict, Brett's investigation of the cargo hold (with Jonesy), Ripley trying to stop the self-destruct sequence after her path is cut off by the xeno, and the final "Lucky Star" confrontation.

In Aliens, the whole buildup to the first xeno encounter is still unmatched for how it builds up the sense of threat, and subverts the viewer's expectations of the badass military crew.

In Jurassic Park, the kitchen sequence with Lex/Tim and the velociraptors.

In Psycho, the detective's investigation of the Bates house/the final investigation and reveal.

The "sniper sequence" from Full Metal Jacket. That score while the group is going through the building looking for the sniper, and that cinematography, is something else.

The aforementioned hotel scene from No Country for Old Men, though really, the whole movie is edge-of-your-seat. The dog chase, Moss going back to get the money in the airduct while Chigurh cleans out the crew right next door with silenced shotgun...

My primary choices have already been mentioned in the thread with No Country for Old Men's coin toss and hotel scene, the basement in Zodiac, the Silence of the Lambs' basement, the opening to Inglourious Basterds, Rear Window's final ten minutes, Aliens' barricade sequence, True Detective's final and the tracking shot, The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly's showdown, and the 'self-destruct timer' in Alien, so I'm primarily going to just refer to television even if I feel some of these already mentioned are more suspenseful.

Breaking Bad - Season 3 Episode 6 - Sunset
The final sequence in this was a very significant time where there really seemed to be no escape. Given that it occured so early in the season it was somewhat dampened as you were aware of the seven remaining episodes, but even still the sequence was done very well.

Breaking Bad - Season 3 Episode 7 - One Minute.
One of the most suspenseful sequences they've done in the show in my opinion as all characters involved had reached what would be a satisfying conclusion to their arc. It used numerous elements with the previous episodes to great effect, and by occuring at the season's mid-point, rather than at the end of the season as most show would have done, it was quite a fantastic surprise.

Breaking Bad - Season 4 Episode 11 - Crawl Space.
The final sequence of the episode where everything appears to simultaneously collapse around the central characters efffectively built a huge amount of suspense as there is no easy escape. It's heightened with the dramatic irony present as the audience knows the escape route that had been planned simply cannot be afforded, and the revelation in the basement is something I found incredibly suspenseful and certainly one of my favourite scenes in the show.

Breaking Bad - Seasoon 5 Episode 5 - Dead Freight.
Perhaps more exciting than suspenseful, but as the good Samaritan appears it becomes quite tense.

Breaking Bad - Season 5 Episode 13 - To'hajiilee.
Nineteen minutes. Nineteen minutes occur from the the beginning of the phone call to the end of the episode. In this time the suspense increasingly ratchets up as the audience is aware of what's occuring, all available forces are summoned to the area, the attempts to manipulate become increasingly hypocritical and transparent, and the desperation grows throughout.

Breaking Bad Season 5 Episode 14 - Ozymandias.
The house scene. I don't feel much more needs to be said for anybody who has seen the show.

Fargo - Season 1 Episode 9 - A Fox, A Rabbit, and A Cabbage.
A few scenes in here, but the opening sequence, the diner, and the ending stand out in particular.

Hannibal - Season 2 Episode 2 - Sakizuke.
The opening...

Hannibal - Season 2 Episode 4 - Takiawase.
The ending sequence.

Hannibal - Season 2 Episode 13 - Mizumono.
While the entire episode is quite suspenseful as the opening builds up towards the scene we're all waiting for, and the fantastic score increases it tenfold with the ticking clock, and other rhythmic elements gradually being introduced, the entirety of the dinner is as suspenseful as it is horrifying.

The Wire - Season 2 Episode 11 - Bad Dreams.
The ending montage. The inevitability of the outcome really does very little to distract from how tense the final moment is.

The Wire - Season 5 Episode 9 - Late Editions.
The car drive. As a reminder, it's the 'How's my hair look' drive.

I'm sure there are more I'm not thinking of at the present time, particularly in "The Shield" and "The Sopranos", but those television episode scenes immediately stand out.

EDIT: Oh I didn't see it mentioned but Rosemary's Baby has quite a few tense scenes, the doctor's office and thereafter in particular. Hitchcock's films are also a masterclass in tension but it's hard for me to think of a single scene is as they generally rely upon the build-up prior. Gravity was mentioned and is also quite good, but again it's hard for me to pick a single scene, probably the low oxygen moment if I were to pick. Terminator (but again I can't really pick one scene in particular) and its sequel also should be mentioned (the latter for the psychiatric hospital and final car chase). EDIT: Oh and end of The Shining.

Breaking Bad - Season 4 Episode 11 - Crawl Space.
The final sequence of the episode where everything appears to simultaneously collapse around the central characters efffectively built a huge amount of suspense as there is no easy escape. It's heightened with the dramatic irony present as the audience knows the escape route that had been planned simply cannot be afforded, and the revelation in the basement is something I found incredibly suspenseful and certainly one of my favourite scenes in the show.

The entire show is worth watching for the buildup to this scene alone. I literally stood up from my couch in that scene cuz the tension was so intense.

danielcw

It is from "The Hunt For Red October" for those who do not know.

And it is not the most suspenseful scene from the movie.
A better example would be the The Crazy Ivan scene - the second one, while Ramius and his second in command (forgot his name) are musing about live in the USA

De Palma has a great eye for suspense sequences. The train station chase in Carlito's Way with the escalators scene in particular.

I would counter the notion that Aliens does not have suspense because it is considered an action film. The whole build up of the search of the colony buildings is amazing with not an alien in sight or shot fired.

Honestly, Aliens is a better suspense/thriller/horror movie than it is an action movie. "Scary" doesn't always have to mean quiet and creepy, it can be fast, loud and intense. Aliens is a scary movie.

Enco

I LOVE tense movies.

Easily my favorite to watch.

Great picks in this thread.

Bonus: Not a movie but Prison Break has the highest amount of tension I have seen

carlitos-way-movie-poster-1993-1020194480.jpg

Throughout the whole movie you are wondering when will things get fucked up, how and why?

4479968_std.jpg

That scene from Jaws.

dvd_misery.jpg

Misery, The whole movie.

600full-goodfellas-screenshot1.jpg

Last 10-20 minutes of Goodfellas.

I seriously can't believe no one hasn't mentioned this. I came into this thread expecting this to be every post.

nightvision1.gif

Also the ending of Blood Simple is fucking amazing.

That scene really bothered me. What person in their right mind would be stupid enough to stumble around blindly like that in that situation with no backup? It really destroyed her character to me.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
so few Hitchcock posts. I feel bad

Rear Window's final confrontation might be one of the most suspenseful scenes ever directed

3210445075_36466c21c4.jpg

rear27.jpg

rear-window-flash-bulb.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom