• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

best type of RPG?

Best type of RPG?

• Total voters

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
OMG, I've missed your posts. You need to come around more often because you always make laugh. Just don't marry me off to any forum trolls anymore. :pie_sfwt:
I still lurk but I don't have a lot of time to post as much as I'd like on any forum these days, let alone engage in forum wars. I'm Switzerland. Hell, I barely even have time for Discord.

Last edited:

Humdinger

RPG fans do get passionate about their genre, sometimes, and about the definitions of the genre. I don't get into bashing other people's tastes ("weeb shit," etc), because I think there's too much negativity on gaming forums as is. Taste is a very subjective thing anyhow, so demeaning what other people enjoy doesn't make much sense to me.

JPRGs have never appealed to me, personally, because I don't enjoy the combat or the characters/dialog. The closest I came to enjoying one was Lost Odyssey, a long, long time ago. I've tried a few in the intervening years, but none have really clicked. I might give one another whirl sometime, though.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

And we're back with a series of role playing games that either didn't do very well, or didn't do as well as I think they should have. I'm sure most of you know me and the survival horror guy, but truth be told I spent most my time play JRPGs. So in the interest of letting you guys in on the rest of my little gaming hobby, let's take a look at some RPGs that may have flown under your radar.

Intro 00:00
Arc the Lad 01:23
Arc the lad 2 03:07
Arc the Lad 3 03:53
Arc the Lad Twilight of Spirits 06:21
Arc the Lad End of Darkness 08:16
Front Mission 10:09
Front Mission 3 15:17
Front Mission 4 17:55
Chocobo Dungeon 20:41
Record of Lodoss War 27:11
Treasure Hunter G 35:39
Eternal Poison 44:03
Legend of Legaia 52:52
Shadow Hearts 01:00:09
End 01:07:15

kuncol02

Banned
That's worst RPG categorization I ever seen. Literally. How the hell Diablo and Baldur's Gate are same genre? It's like saying that ARMA and GTA are same genre.
Where in that list fit Wizardy, Stonekeep, Ishar, Ultima, Might & Magic, Ultima Underwold, Betrayal at Krondor or Wasteland (both old and new ones)? What about Adom, Nethack and other roguelikes?
Also. How the fuck Age of Empires is RPG?

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Role playing games have hooked us gamers with fantastical worlds and a jaw-dropping sense of scale for decades now, and the genre has considerably evolved within that time period. What was once a market solely dominated by specific game developers has morphed into a global business, and this has led to new types of experiences.

And as time has passed, we find ourselves returning to certain RPGs that just stand out from the pack for some reason or another - and to that end, here are 17 of the best RPGs of all time.

Top Bottom