• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best visual novels on Switch?

Sup Gaf.

I'm really getting into visual novels lately, lots of stressful shit happening in my life atm and I'm enjoying the chill of the genre.

Any good ones Gaf can recommend?

I absolutely love Root Letter so anything like that really would be wild.

Thanks Gaf!

Kisses xxxx

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
I have couple for Switch and recommend both:

Planetarian

Summary

Ceaseless rain...

Hit by a biological weapon thirty years ago, Sarcophagus City lingered as a vestige manned only by autonomous fighter drones.

An exhausted man headed inside a building seeking refuge. Long ago, many would have entered this planetarium, to gaze longingly into the stars, to soothe their sorrows, and to find a sense of peace.

In this place of healing, he met a lone girl; a run-down robotic guide who had waited thirty long years for a visitor to come. Her name was Yumemi. Her one wish was for someone to repair the broken projector.

Endless rain...

The man's fleeting days with Yumemi reminded him of days long gone. As he worked tirelessly to fix that which was broken he wondered, what would he wish for when he finally gazed into those artificial stars?

What fate lied before Yumemi?

Clannad

Story
After the death of his mother, Tomoya Okazaki—a guarded delinquent student at Hikarizaka High School—struggles to not only make sense of the abusive relationship he has with his alcoholic father, but also find meaning in his life. While on his way to class one morning, he meets a mystifying girl named Nagisa. She is a delinquent like him, but only because she is repeating her senior year, unlike the perpetually tardy Okazaki. From their brief encounter, Nagisa decides they should be friends, and enlists Tomoya's help to revive the school drama club. Not being busy in any way, he decides to join in. Along the way, the two make friends with many other students and try to find both solace and belonging in their endeavors.

Clannad is considered one of the best visual novels ever made. Personally, I find the art style to be weak, but the characters are well-written and it's just a really good story. Be aware that can take a while to get through (60 plus hours!).

Both are rated 97% (Overwhelmingly Positive) on Steam, where they've been out for awhile.

sensor

Steins;Gate Elite is a must. The original Steins;Gate is probably one of, if not the best visual novel of all time, and Elite is a remake of that that adds visuals from the White Fox anime adaptation, which can be a positive or negative depending on how you feel about Huke's artwork in the original VN. Personally I prefer the original, but Elite is a very good option for newcomers nonetheless. Genre is sci-fi thriller with heavy time travel elements.

Clannad is good if you're okay with somewhat saccharine highschool romcom stuff, and the polarizing art style. I personally enjoyed it on PC a lot, it's a real heart wrencher and worth persevering through its glacial pacing and daft comedy bits for the incredible true ending route.

VA-11 HALL-A is a really fun one as well, and a bit shorter than the previous two mentioned. It's a cyberpunk bartending simulator with a neat PC98 aesthetic and fantastic soundtrack. I played it on Vita and enjoyed it despite the buggy port, I would think that the Switch version would run a bit better but I couldn't say for sure.

Look into Yu-No and Planetarian as well if you enjoy these.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Sup Gaf.

I'm really getting into visual novels lately, lots of stressful shit happening in my life atm and I'm enjoying the chill of the genre.

Any good ones Gaf can recommend?

I absolutely love Root Letter so anything like that really would be wild.

Thanks Gaf!

Kisses xxxx

Any Genre in particular?

I have this

Death-Mark-Limited-Edition

If you are looking for Horror Japanese and Ghost Story like "The Ring" Movie... is a great visual novel.

I have couple for Switch and recommend both:

Planetarian

Clannad

Clannad is considered one of the best visual novels ever made. Personally, I find the art style to be weak, but the characters are well-written and it's just a really good story. Be aware that can take a while to get through (60 plus hours!).

Both are rated 97% (Overwhelmingly Positive) on Steam, where they've been out for awhile.

Is Clannard anything like Root Letter at all? Sounds great

Yes, I've got Steins Gate Elite on PS4 but I would personally much prefer it on Switch. I enjoy playing them in bed. Nice and chill before sleep times.

Death Mark is a title I've heard lots about and really must get around to playing, I enjoy horror but kinda looking for something a bit more relaxing in my VNs lol.

sensor

I preferred the Vita
Didn't do so bad for a dead system tbh

I'm also in this camp. The Vita became my go to VN system, and I still play new PS4 VNs on it using remote play. It also has some GOAT tier VNs like Muv Luv Alternative and Chaos;Child, and as far as I know the Vita is the only way to play these on a portable console.

Having said that, the Switch has a nice catalogue of VNs that's growing every day. I personally don't own a Switch, but I'm glad that the console's popularity is exposing more people to visual novels.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Having said that, the Switch has a nice catalogue of VNs that's growing every day. I personally don't own a Switch, but I'm glad that the console's popularity is exposing more people to visual novels.
It replaced the Vita so I'm expecting it go to get most of the upcoming VN's in the future. If people still make VN's in the future anyway.

RealGassy

Banned
AI: The Somnium Files plays like a VN, it is fully voicecast, is comfy and relaxing despite having somewhat grim setting.
I enjoyed it way more than I thought I would.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Vita has The House in Fate Morgana! Shit I've heard amazing things about it! Need to definitely get that, does it have a ps4 release?
I have it in ps4 versión in english that was for límited run games... I like it such much because the art... The gothic theme and the ost... Is a masterpiece. I wish could it port to Nintendo switch.

Also I recommend 428 shibuya scramble... Is in english and was a Wii game, psp and ps3... Also pc

M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
Is Clannard really as good as they say? I've thought about reading it in the past but I just can't get past the art style.

What’s a PS Vita?

ZzIMqNS.jpg
What movie is this from? I know I've seen it I just can't think of the name.

Sakura

Have you guys tried Root Letter? It really is quite excellent. What else do the devs, pqube make?
I own Root Letter, but could never get into it. Found it really boring for some reason.
Is Clannard really as good as they say? I've thought about reading it in the past but I just can't get past the art style.
Clannad is pretty good. The art style isn't that bad. Just look at the art in Higurashi or Umineko. That's bad art.

ExpandKong

Banned
The console that give me the game of my life... Gravity Rush 😍😍🥰🥰 Kat definitive scar my heart 😍^_^.... Sorry😅

You know what

that’s a solid waifu choice I ain’t even mad. You carry on.

What movie is this from? I know I've seen it I just can't think of the name.

The tv show Dallas. Specifically a Family Guy bit about the tv show Dallas.

On topic, didn’t some game just come out that’s kind of Danganronpa-ish? Something about a hidden village, and murders...it’s on PS4 also. I heard it was good but haven’t checked it out myself yet.

There’s also Corpse Party Blood Drive, which is sort of VN-ish with actiony elements. I haven’t finished it myself yet but the first game was pretty good.

anonychus

Neo Member
I've watched and played Clannad and frankly I would recommend just watching the anime. They do a great job of covering the interesting parts of the VN, just make sure you also watch After Story or you're missing out on what makes it so good.

Phoenix Wright Trilogy is on the Switch, that's pretty VN-esque and is a great port. Three games in one!

Heimdall_Xtreme

You know what

that’s a solid waifu choice I ain’t even mad. You carry on.

The tv show Dallas. Specifically a Family Guy bit about the tv show Dallas.

On topic, didn’t some game just come out that’s kind of Danganronpa-ish? Something about a hidden village, and murders...it’s on PS4 also. I heard it was good but haven’t checked it out myself yet.

There’s also Corpse Party Blood Drive, which is sort of VN-ish with actiony elements. I haven’t finished it myself yet but the first game was pretty good.

🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰 Awww

Last edited:
Top Bottom