• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best way to play Persona 1, 2 and 3?

Ladekabel

Persona 4: Golden is one of my favorite games of all time and Persona 5 is one of my favorite games released this year.

I always like to play a whole series and Persona is no exception even if it'll be a great time investment and might take years I think I'm able to do it before Persona 6 might come around.

My understanding is that Persona 1 and 2 are different kind of RPGs and don't have the Social Link stuff. While I liked the Social Links in Persona 4 and 5 I can live without them because all I want is a solid JRPG.

My available platforms are PS3, PS4 and a Vita.

Persona 3 might be my priority because of the dancing game releasing next year and (if I can bear to watch at my 3DS screen in the future) I'd like to play Persona Q. I have the FES version from PSN installed on my PS3. However Persona 5 showed that I dislike being glued for 80+ hours games on my console and prefer it on PC or handheld. I like eyecandy though which made me go with the FES version since it has the animated scenes. But I might go with P3P later if I ever come around to finishing ToCS I and II to clear up memory space because portability and new Vita memory cards cost still an arm and a leg.

Speaking of P3P on PSN there is a combo pack with Persona 2: Innocent Sin. I think there were two versions on PS1 and there is only one version on PSN. Would I miss anything by going with the PSP version?

Persona 1 might be the hardest for me. It didn't release in Europe and my only way to get it would be to buy a used PSP and import the US version. I want to experience the dope drug store theme though. Or is there a better way? Does it have a digital version in the US PSN?

Please help me out, PersonaGAF!

Gu4n

* Shin Megami Tensei: Persona (PSP) on Vita
* Persona 2 Innocent Sin (PSP) on Vita
* Persona 2 Eternal Punishment (PSone) through an American account on PS3
* Persona 3 FES (PS2) as a PS2 Classic on PS3

Do finish Trails of Cold Steel and its successor, too, though. :)

Do finish Trails of Cold Steel/II, though. :)

First post gets it, Kiseki recommendation included.

I played the psp version of 3 which is fine if you don't mind having no 3d map, I wouldn't have been able to handle not controlling the other party members.

Yep - though I will recommend that if you can, play the PSP Persona 1 with the original OST. There was a fan patch that made it possible, but I don't remember if it was a prepatched file, nor if it was 100% complete (the PSP OST is smaller than the original, so it wasn't easy to hack in additional songs).

Would it be possible to play through Persona 3 Portable and then play through "The Answer" in the PS2 Classic version of FES?

Do I need a save game file to just play "The Answer"?

How different is the female route over the male one? Recommendation for one or the other?

Ralemont

not me
Would it be possible to play through Persona 3 Portable and then play through "The Answer" in the PS2 Classic version of FES?

How different is the female route over the male one? Recommendation for one or the other?

The male route is the "canon" one but the female route has more flavorful dialogue & more interesting variations on the social links.

This, but go for the full set and get Persona 3 Portable on Vita instead. Being able to control your party is a godsend in certain situations, and FeMC adds replayability. (And is overall just a great addition.)

You can always watch the story of FES separately and enjoy it more for it.

Jamix012

You're going to get very devisive answers on this but.

Play through P3P, it's more streamlined which works for a game where the dungeon(s) is more of a slog. It allows you to control your party members and adds other minor additions (in particular to Persona Fusion) that help clean up the gameplay but all animated cutscenes are cut. Still worth it IMO.

The answer is...there. I played it. It's okay. Music is great, but yes you don't need a save file to just start The Answer.

P3P FeMC vs MC. Both are good. Provide the same base game but with different social links and interactions. Choose whichever you feel, I loved both.

Mariip

First answer kinda nails it but you really should give a chance to P3P, despite not having 3d cutscenes i feel like the map navigation is way faster, which is awesome considering that the city maps are bigger than p4's, FeMC has a nicer route since she actually can have the male party members as a social link(the original MC just won't hang out with the guys), making the game closer to a P4 experience since you get to be friends with your whole party :)

I wouldn't play the answer tho

Edit: forgot to mention but thanks for playing p2, most people forget these games exist because ot has no social links, but the parties on both games have the best characters in the franchise. Since you'll play 1 too, i'd recommend you do before playing P2 since there are some returning characters

RedBoot

As for the FES vs P3P debate, my stance has always been that FES is the best way to play Persona 3, while P3P is the best way to re-play Persona 3.

Carlisle

This is the first time I heard this, could you elaborate more?

When the PS2 Classic first came out, several users reported their saves vanishing. It was eventually found out to be a bug that deleted your game save, or maybe it just didn't save it properly. Either way, the end effect was rolling the dice every time you turned off the game.

I thought I read that at some point the bug was fixed in an update, but I can't recall well enough to be certain.

Shahed

Persona 3 is the awkward one. From a gameplay perspectives P3P is miles better, but the presentation and immersion of FES is superior.

The game could really use a definitive version in another enhanced port or remake

KennyL

I'd suggest play p3p, YouTube p3fes story scenes and the answer.

I was in similar situation after playing p4g. I started p3fes and p3p and decided to continue on with p3fes because p3p story scenes feel really cheap 2d slideshows. Big mistake. Not able to control your teammates turned the whole thing into 150 hrs of hellish dungeon crawl nightmare for me. Rng gets freaking brutal. I hateplayed the whole thing and ended up really really hating it. Really regretting not switching over to p3p female run.

Please don't skip PQ. I just finished the first dungeon and it's soooo goooodd!

When the PS2 Classic first came out, several users reported their saves vanishing. It was eventually found out to be a bug that deleted your game save, or maybe it just didn't save it properly. Either way, the end effect was rolling the dice every time you turned off the game.

I thought I read that at some point the bug was fixed in an update, but I can't recall well enough to be certain.

I see. Thanks.

It's scary that a lengthy RPG does that to you. Hope that everything is fixed by now.

Ladekabel

I'll start with ToCS once I get and played TiTS 2 since I heard it plays after them.

What is the differene between Innocent Sind and Eternal Punishment?

Taruranto

PS1 version of Innocent Sin has a better translation, opening and is a bit harder, but the PSP version has animation skip. Gu4n's list is pretty much perfect.

You'll need to check a faq for P1 or you will likely end up getting a bad ending.

cj_iwakura

IS PS1 has some bugs. More faithful, though. Harder final boss too. PSP is nerf city.

This, but go for the full set and get Persona 3 Portable on Vita instead. Being able to control your party is a godsend in certain situations, and FeMC adds replayability. (And is overall just a great addition.)

You can always watch the story of FES separately and enjoy it more for it.
Except FES is more challenging and thus rewarding. Why play anything you could watch instead?

Mediking

Wrap it up. We're done.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
* Persona 2 Eternal Punishment (PSone) through an American account on PS3 [Also playable on Vita]

Pretty much this, but added bold. Eternal Punishment(PSOne sequel to P2 IS) can be downloaded on Vita through PSN just fine.

Also, I personally played through P1/2 a few years back and wasn't a fan so beware. There is charm to the characters and goofy stories, but the combat and general gameplay has aged very poorly. It will be a major sticking point for any newcomer to overcome. A major sticking point. (I didn't even bother moving onto Eternal Punishment after finishing Innocent Sin I disliked it so much).

P3P is neat, but the gameplay adjustments and other new features couldn't overcome the feeling of lost immersion that the rendered environments and characters offered. I still prefer P3:FES despite the loss of party control and other changes.

kunonabi

US PSN version of Revelations: Persona(PSOne classic)
US PSN version of Persona 2: Eternal Punishment(PSOne classic)

There was a US PSP version of Persona 2: Innocent Sin but the game is awful so that's up to you.

Avoid the PSP remake of Persona 1

Persona 3 FES is a PS2 classic in the states.

I hate the fact that there's really no definitive way to play P3. I have Portable and want to play it, but I feel like I'll miss the environments/cutscenes that everyone apparently can't do without in FES.

kromeo

I hate the fact that there's really no definitive way to play P3. I have Portable and want to play it, but I feel like I'll miss the environments/cutscenes that everyone apparently can't do without in FES.

It doesn't bother a lot of people but not being able to actually run round areas outside of the dungeon was too big a loss for me

Play the PSP version of all 3 on your Vita. The PS1 version of Persona 2: Eternal Punishment is also available on Vita.

Nobody ever seems to agree on the matter but having played all versions of Persona 3, the PSP version was the first one I was able to finish. It is far superior in my opinion despite the stuff they had to cut. The female protagonist is a massive improvement to the entire story. The menus, the music, the social links, the character interactions, her hilarious internal monologues, all that stuff is much better.

Honestly, P1 is very hard to go back to. I would skip it but you do you. P2 is extremely outdated and frustrating mechanically but the story and characters are great. If you have the option, you should also play the SMT: Soul Hackers remake on the 3DS. Same vibe as P1 but a stronger game overall.

And I'm in Europe as well, you should create a US account and just download these games on PSN.

Top Bottom