• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best way to store a switch?

Dream-Knife

Banned
So I know that an unpaired and stored Switch pro controller constantly drains the battery from experience, but I don't know about the switch.

My switch is likely done playing games and I want the most optimal way to store it without killing the device. My SP and fat DS are still going strong and I'd like to keep the switch that way. That being said, leaving it plugged in is dumb, and I want to remove the clutter. I haven't touched it since April, and I don't think there will be anything to make me pick it up again other than replaying some games in a few years.

What is the best way to store a switch long term so the battery doesn't blow up? Should I consider that next time I take it out the battery will need replaced?

kiphalfton

Throw it in some random box, then squirrel it away in an uninsulated storage shed that is leaking, has pests, and gets super hot/cold.

I've bought enough junk off craigslist/Facebook, that was clearly given no care when storing it, and it's been fine (besides having a layer of dust, tar, Cheeto dust, etc.) on it.

Drizzlehell

Banned
alpharad-nintendo.gif

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I understand that the chemistry is best around here, but why is it that storing it at 0% is no good again?
The science I can't help with, but in general terms, a rechargable battery left with no charge for too long won't charge again.

Tommi84

I understand that the chemistry is best around here, but why is it that storing it at 0% is no good again?
Because it will drop even below the 0% level and be screwed. For extended period of time, it's best to store the battery after charging it to 60-70%

Dream-Knife

Banned
Sell the device, keep the games and account and buy it again later when you feel the need.
I would if I could back up my save without paying a subscription. I refuse to subscribe to digital "services".

charge it to about 50-70% and turn it off... obviously.

every 6 months turn it on and bump the charge up to 50-70%. i'd probably play a game for a little while to get the juices flowing in the batteries.
Thank you. I'll try to do that.

If the battery depletes to zero I don't have to worry about a swollen battery right? Just might have to replace it? It might be several years before I actually play this thing again.

JimboJones

Could remove the battery completely but I dunno how easy that is or how easy it would be to buy a replacement in the future.
Might as well just sell it if it holds no sentimental value, let someone else worry about the battery, just buy another unit in the future or hope Switch 2 is backwards compatible.

Top Bottom