• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Wrestling Game?

Kagey K

Banned
I have a hard time with this.

Best Arcade Wrestling game:

Wrestlefest. (Arcade)
Quite Hinestly the gameplay, the grappling and the music all went together. It made sense and was fun.

Best Simulation:

WWF Day of Reckoning (GameCube)

For some reason this game encapsulated everything about the era it came out in.

Best Ongoing:

Smackdown 2 (PSX)

Sure the gameplay wasn’t as tight, but you could pick a character and go on forever if you wanted, from Hell in a Cell to Special referee, you were always in charge of the moves your character made and what stables they chose to participate in.

i think my sister and I were somewhere around 2050 when we stopped playing.

Last edited:

Soodanim

My choice is between the first 5 Smackdown games, 2 PS1 WCW games and 2 N64 WCW games.

I spent far too many hours on Shut Your Mouth and Here Comes The Pain, with the only downside I remember being HCTP reduced the amount of CAW (create a wrestler) parts you had to choose from. Still the superior game, though.

Honourable mention for WCW/NWO Revenge. Super fun. I'm under the impression that WWF No Mercy was the same engine and the superior game, but I never played it.

I stopped buying wrestling games after I played the first Smackdown vs Raw and didn't like it. Every game since has looked like a downgrade and a move towards simulation rather than fun, and I'm not interested in that. I want the Tony Hawk approach, not Skate.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
My choice is between the first 5 Smackdown games, 2 PS1 WCW games and 2 N64 WCW games.

I spent far too many hours on Shut Your Mouth and Here Comes The Pain, with the only downside I remember being HCTP reduced the amount of CAW (create a wrestler) parts you had to choose from. Still the superior game, though.

Honourable mention for WCW/NWO Revenge. Super fun. I'm under the impression that WWF No Mercy was the same engine and the superior game, but I never played it.
Oh fuck I forgot about the WCW games on N64, both of those were so good. It’s too bad they didn’t offer much in the way of stories.

Pure gameplay WCW/NWO Revenge is up there with Day of Reckoning.

Max_Po

Banned
Best?

1. Smackdown Here Comes the Pain
2. Smackdown Shut your Mouth, however the gameplay is much much shallow.
3. Smackdown 2007 is good.
4. If you are not in WWF/WWE hand down best Wrestling game ... Def Jam Fight for NY

if you want to go blind, try N64 games.

My favorite wrestling games are:
- WCW/NWO Revenge
- WWF No Mercy
- Smackdown Here Comes The Pain

I actually didn't own N64, but we played hours upon hours AKI wrestling games at my friends house. Such great memories..

I had Smackdown games from the PS1's Smackdown 2 all the way to Smackdown VS Raw 2006.

Hydroxy

My favourite wrestling game is Smackdown! Here comes the pain, followed by SVR 2008 and then 2010. I haven't played 2006 but I've heard that one is great as well.
Also i recently played Fire Pro Wrestling, its a pretty good game too although you need to buy DLCs to get the most out of it. Also has steam workshop support.

Kagey K

Banned
I was talking with my son as I’m watching old WWE/WCW with him and we really need a golden era game.

Kagey K

Banned
My favourite wrestling game is Smackdown! Here comes the pain, followed by SVR 2008 and then 2010. I haven't played 2006 but I've heard that one is great as well.
Also i recently played Fire Pro Wrestling, its a pretty good game too although you need to buy DLCs to get the most out of it. Also has steam workshop support.
Here comes the pain always seemed like 2 steps forward and one step back. I wanted it to be better then it was.

obin_gam

220px-WWE_Day_of_Reckoning_2_Coverart.png

will forever be my favourite!

The relatively unheard of WWF Royal Rumble on the Dreamcast. A more arcade and approachable approach to wrestling games more akin to WWF Wrestlemania than Smackdown etc. Loved that as a kid.

kunonabi

Wrestlemania 2000 for accessibility. Feel free to swap any AKI title here.

Giant Gram for the actual grappling engine. No game does reversals better.

Fire Pro Wrestling/King of Colosseum for simming matches.

The Fartist

Gold Member
I don't know if it was the best but WWF Smackdown! back in 2000 was the fucking shit, it got me into wrestling for a couple of years during the whole Stone Cold, HHH, Rock era. So dope. If you squinted at the TV, (in my 14 year old mind) you'd swear you were watching a live broadcast. It was like the Gran Turismo, graphically speaking, of wrestling games. It looked both amazing and like shit at the same time. Great memories.

Old Retro

WWF Warzone was fueled by the attitude era and NWO that were happening at the time. There's been dozens of wrestling games but that goes in my top 3 of all time along with the Technos games of the late 80s and even NES Pro Wrestling.

Caffeine

for me the n64 games due to just fun factor and character creation, after that wwe all stars game on pure arcade fun.

Last edited:
The N64 wrestling games WCW-NWO Revenge and No Mercy were my favorite wwrestling games by a large margin. Still simple enough to pick up and play with friends that didn't play video games , but complex enough to enjoy for a long time.

Special mention to WrestleMania on the NES. It really wasn't good, but I was a kid at the time and Hulk Hogan was just the best.

Last edited:
Top Bottom