• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda boss says he's put 150 hours into Starfield and "hasn't even come close" to seeing everything

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
5q6U4HH.jpg

Wrong BGS boss.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Well there goes my hype for the game. That is ridiculous. How much time do you think I have lol

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I'm sure I'm not alone in saying this.....but bragging about how massive a game is these days just isn't a selling point anymore. Ubisoft cops shit for this all the time. Probably in the minority, but gaming is a 'pass the time' hobby, not an all day career for a lot of us and there's no way you can commit to playing this all the time before another big title comes along and takes that attention away. Why not split this up into seasons or DLC? Re-ignite the hype each time. We already know Bethesda has no qualms about reselling the same game over and over again :)
This game leaves it up to you. Entire solar systems can be ignored if you want. But its there. Thats just to have a game set in space at scale. Just focus on the few things you want to do then.

If it wasnt that big it wouldnt be set in space at the correct scale.

Its like Korok seeds. Dont get them all.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Incredible mindset some people have where they are told that the main quest is around 40 hours but there is 100's of hours of "side content", and their response is "iT takes too LoNg", "I LoSt mY hYpE". Like my guys, side content is optional.

Stuart360

Incredible mindset some people have where they are told that the main quest is around 40 hours but there is 100's of hours of "side content", and their response is "iT takes too LoNg", "I LoSt mY hYpE". Like my guys, side content is optional.
Just certain people trying too hard.
Anyone who has played Skyrim, Oblivion, Fallout 3 etc will know BGS games are easily 100+ hours if you do most of the content.

M.W.

Honestly, there's too many games coming out to spend that much time on one. I'll probably get around 20 hours in before I move on.

Last edited:

ajanke

This is one game where i'm going to beeline through the main quest first and then do a second playthrough for side stuff (the 'forever game' part). Otherwise you might never finish the story.
I have never done this. I wonder if I should. It sounds appealing but that's such a different way to play for me lol. I get worried I wont go back for the second playthrough or something and I will miss out.

sainraja

I don't believe this game is randomly generating content for each player or anything like that.

We are all getting the same game.
Hmm, I thought if it is procedurally generated, the chances of us going through the same exact elements/layout would be slim at a given time—I am sure there will be some overlap. I know we're getting the same game with areas that are handcrafted and procedurally generated. OR maybe my understanding of procedurally generated is completely wrong.

xX4thmanXx

Neo Member
This game leaves it up to you. Entire solar systems can be ignored if you want. But its there. Thats just to have a game set in space at scale. Just focus on the few things you want to do then.

If it wasnt that big it wouldnt be set in space at the correct scale.

Its like Korok seeds. Dont get them all.
Lol, good point. Although I do sometimes feel the pressure to do as much as possible in case I miss out on something good.
Also, excellent point on the Korok seeds, I gave up after a while, even when I saw them sitting there only metres away :)

xX4thmanXx

Neo Member
It's what their actual fans want.
I get it. I'm actually looking forward to playing this too but just the thought of it being so massive in scale is the draw it used to be. How about a tight 60 hours with compelling quests and missions, instead of over a 100 hours with fetch quests?

naguanatak

Hmm, I thought if it is procedurally generated, the chances of us going through the same exact elements/layout would be slim at a given time—I am sure there will be some overlap. I know we're getting the same game with areas that are handcrafted and procedurally generated. OR maybe my understanding of procedurally generated is completely wrong.
There is a difference between procedurally and randomly generated.
2+2 always equals 4, that's a procedure. If one of the numbers is randomly generated, it might equal 3 or 10 or 23.859.
What they have done is procedurally generate the planets, so the general landscape should be the same for everyone (as in No Man's Sky, for example. 18 quintillion planets, but since 2+2=4, they are the same for everyone), but then added handcrafted scenarios/locations onto these that are randomly generated for each player.
That's the way I understand the system. Please correct me if anyone knows more

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
There is a difference between procedurally and randomly generated.
2+2 always equals 4, that's a procedure. If one of the numbers is randomly generated, it might equal 3 or 10 or 23.859.
What they have done is procedurally generate the planets, so the general landscape should be the same for everyone (as in No Man's Sky, for example. 18 quintillion planets, but since 2+2=4, they are the same for everyone), but then added handcrafted scenarios/locations onto these that are randomly generated for each player.
That's the way I understand the system. Please correct me if anyone knows more

Yes, you're pretty much spot on.

It's a combination of some things being different for each player like placement of some locations and even quests, though that seems to be for side quests or radiant quests, the hand-crafted story/narrative content will be in the same places for all players from what I can find.

As explained in the direct by Starfield's lead technical producer, Jean-Francois Levesque, the game's system "builds the planet as the player approaches it." The game seemingly specks the planet with different types of "hand-crafted content," and it does so randomly and dynamically, so while you may find a questline in one planet, a friend of yours may find it in another.

When it comes to what type of content the planets will have, the direct mentioned different resources for players to gather, outposts, plants, and creatures, both peaceful and hostile. As previously mentioned, the procedural generation will also include questlines, meaning some side quests will be in different places in the world map per save file.

There will, of course, be some static planets that presumably don't change as they're particularly relevant to the story, or they've simply been purposefully hand-crafted in their entirety. A few of these were mentioned in the direct, such as Alpha Centauri, the hub of Starfield's central civilized faction (the UC), Mars, which houses the UC's largest mining facility, and Volii, home of Neon, the pleasure city, among many others.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Phil Spencer needs to fire him if he has this much time on his hands as the head of a major studio with its first big post-acquisition release days before…

TonyK

I want it and I will play it day one, but it's really difficult for me to enjoy a game after the initial 50 hours. I prefer to play more shorter games than one for 150 hours.

Ar¢tos

Won't it "get old"? Maybe less content but more curated and polished would provide a better experience.
People seem to have less time to play and shorter attention spans nowadays.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I'm fine with this. Its heaven. Oblivion, fallout....all games I've sunk 180 hours into and not even noticed.

Im Grabbed by all the threads of exploration and insane side quests that happen...random town of cannibals anyone?

I just go and explore and before I know it I've spent a full day playing a game.

Bethesda games aren't like these new triple As that pad the shit out of their games with bloated cutscenes and shite that would fit better in a movie. Pointless side quests to hit 60 hours of gameplay. From experience these games arw something else...so grab the fleshlight....!

Lol

8 days!

Let's gooooo

Last edited:

mrmustard

Banned
Damn, i wanted to wait with the WOW Classic Hardcore servers until i'm done with Starfield. Guess WOW comes next year then.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
This is a bad thing

Not for a Bethesda game. We know exactly what we are getting and want it.

If you don't, and haven't enjoyed the others there's plenty of 20 hour game franchises that have now been stretched to 40 to 60 hours over there for you....

Enjoy the padding.

Last edited:

Pallas

Gold Member
This doesn't excite me but the opposite... damn...

If this is one of those 150+ hour games then I will find myself retiring early from it and never go back.

The most I put into a game was Persona at around 108 hours. I could never find myself playing games like that a second time.

is this supposed to be a “good” thing

Murdering Spacecrabs in random Spacecave #937 for 100+ hours. That's going to be the reality of this game.

Bethsoft games are an inch deep and a mile wide. People shit on Ubisoft for making the same open world game over and over but Todd and Co. just take 5 times longer to do the same thing and it's hyped to fuck for some reason.
Tell me you have never played a Bethesda RPG without actually saying it.

Pejo

Main story is whatever. I'm buying into the sandbox they're creating for the glorious mods that will arise. I expect to see a Shrek MC proof-of-concept mod within 24 hours of release.

ZoukGalaxy

F354KIkWAAAq8lW.jpg

Asked about the length of the game on today's official Xbox Gamescom stream, Hines says, "There's not an amount of time that I'm comfortable enough [to say] 'now you've played it enough Starfield to get what this game is'. I'm at 150-160 hours on my current playthrough, and I haven't even come close."
150+ hours only for the character creation screen to make a Todd is indeed a lot.
How about playing the game though ? 🤔

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
it’s always this huge time sink until they start putting out articles like “speedrunner XYZ has finished Starfield in under two minutes”.

Top Bottom