• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda designer comments on decision to have more than 100 solar systems "Making hundreds of them isnt that much of extra work"

cripterion

Thing is, they didn't succeed in making exploration meaningful, as a matter of fact the game was critically slammed on that front.
I fear that them not realizing their game formula doesn't work anymore, or dare I say is pretty much obsolete, will have consequences for their future title. If you can't smell your own farts...

Drizzlehell

Banned
At least there should have been colors variation for its land and sky box etc

God damn they went for straight up gray desolation everywhere you can almost smell the dust and loneliness.
Gee, it's almost as if most planets in the universe are barren rock with no atmosphere, and planets with actual life that are suited for human life are very rare.

Oh look, actual vegetation and animals in a game where "gray desolation is everywhere"

starfield-planets-jemison-1.jpg

All it takes is to actually look around. I know, I know - that sounds like a lot of work. Plus it's kinda at odds with the narrative that Starfield sucks, so shh! Don't tell anyone that I showed you this, okay?

StueyDuck

Alot of devs seem to get the allure of space wrong, unless it's something like Mass effect where aliens exist and space is already charted.

I don't buy into the who "space is boring" narrative, these games don't call themselves simulators so why can't they be interesting?

I think the perfect game to use as example of how space should be portrayed (although much larger in scope) is subnautica, we all know fish, we all know water, most stuff in the ocean much like space is pretty boring, but subnautica dangles the idea of the unknown and discovery brilliantly in front of the player, forcing you to go deeper and see things you weren't expecting.

I think survival plays a big element of space much like water does in subnautica, effort must be put into oxygen management, resource management and so on.

Then there's actual space itself (this I feel starfield does an OK job compared to rest of its parts) you should be encountering random derelicts, formations that seem alien in nature, ancient relics, but it should be done in such a way that you stumbled upon it.

Last edited:

SenkiDala

designer-da-bethesda-comenta-sobre-decisao-de-ter-mais-de-100-sistemas-solares-098611.jpg

Having recently appeared on the MinnMax podcast, former Bethesda designer Bruce Nesmith was asked about the decision for limited exploration. Although he initially suggested making just a few dozen, he says the studio used the logic that once you create a solar system, it's easy to replicate and create hundreds of them.

According to Bruce, the same was true for planets. Once Bethesda created the right formula on one planet, it was enough to apply the same process to hundreds of planets spread across all solar systems.

Bruce says development comes down to choices. Instead of giving players complete freedom in space, she preferred to choose to focus on other parts, such as creating ships.

The designer states that they could have given some ready-made ships for players to acquire throughout the game, but they preferred to bring a complex creation system. Bruce says she was very happy with the excellent reception the creator had in the community, as it was one of the aspects she worked on before leaving the studio.
For a company known to release unfinished games, counting on fans to finish the game for them, sure. But for a decent dev company it would be a TON of extra work.

Dazraell

I wonder when all the DLCs are done, whether the game would be looked back in better light.
I think they will address some of the complaints and include some of the variety that was lacking on planets from DLC, but they won't really change or rework the entire game to address some of the most common criticism Starfield has got

Buggy Loop

At least they shipped an actual game instead of selling virtual ships for 10 thousand dollars a pop for the past decade, lol.

And it brought absolutely nothing to the game industry

98 hours later (dragged myself to finish line), it’s a 6/10

In Todd’s head 25 years and that’s the scope of their vision…

It’s a game we won’t even remember in a few years, a fart in the wind.

Kadve

Yea very easy. Elite Dangerous has 400 billion after all (where roughly 160,000 is based on actual exo-planets) in a mostly 1-1 recreation of the Milky way...

Last edited:
I think they will address some of the complaints and include some of the variety that was lacking on planets from DLC, but they won't really change or rework the entire game to address some of the most common criticism Starfield has got
Are we assuming there will be DLC? Fallout 4 barely got anything.

In fact as you track Bethesda games we're in a downward spiral of content.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
Gee, it's almost as if most planets in the universe are barren rock with no atmosphere, and planets with actual life that are suited for human life are very rare.

Oh look, actual vegetation and animals in a game where "gray desolation is everywhere"

All it takes is to actually look around. I know, I know - that sounds like a lot of work. Plus it's kinda at odds with the narrative that Starfield sucks, so shh! Don't tell anyone that I showed you this, okay?
Stfu

The Cockatrice

Gold Member

What can you do on that planet that you cant do on the other 999? They're all the fucking same at their core. Scan some shit, go to the same fucking base of pirates with the exact same interiors, maybe go in a cave and that is it. Absolutely nothing ever happens on any planet, no super secret mistery, nothing fucked up, nothing mind blowing. A fucking SCI-FI game made for literal babies where NOTHING BAD ever happens. Worst world Bethesda ever made, hell Fallout 3 had less fucking loading screens than Starfield and a far superior world and that game came out 10+ years ago lmao. Play better games.

Well yea because it's content, not levels or, god forbid, level design.

I'll never be able to wrap my head around when and why "more = better" became the reigning design philosophy in mainstream games.

What can you do on that planet that you cant do on the other 999? They're all the fucking same at their core. Scan some shit, go to the same fucking base of pirates with the exact same interiors, maybe go in a cave and that is it. Absolutely nothing ever happens on any planet, no super secret mistery, nothing fucked up, nothing mind blowing. A fucking SCI-FI game made for literal babies where NOTHING BAD ever happens. Worst world Bethesda ever made, hell Fallout 3 had less fucking loading screens than Starfield and a far superior world and that game came out 10+ years ago lmao. Play better games.

I don't get comparisons with games that have a single giant 20x20 mile map. Sure, Bethesda has been there, done that. Perfected it.

Now what... Starfield....

Its not like it's a new ip with new design. Bethesda figuring out stuff. They will be there before long.

Still a must play title IMO due to space exploration. Desolation + music feels great in this game.

Lamest excuse on the planet. Multi-billion dollar company "figuring things out"???? What exactly are they figuring in Starfield? Nothing the game does is groundbreaking or unique. What the hell are you talking about? You like the game? Good for you but the game does nothing outstanding.

No excuse.

Why don't other devs come out of their comfort zone and make something new?

I mean, making a 1000 planets must be so easy, right? Or making something that doesn't follow previously established formula.

They have some pacing issue, needs to have some bite sized stories on planet surface that encourages exploration. I get that.

Instead they have focused on ship building/outpost building/ procedural stuff. Which is no doubt it's still a ton of work outside quests they have put in.

Overall, I feel game has ton of stuff, it's unfortunate, demand is of even more stuff to make it great. Like, take a huge game and make it ginormous.

Dunno what their plan is, I plan to keep returning to the gameworld to do menial stuff. Space is cool I enjoy it.

It’s a game we won’t even remember in a few years, a fart in the wind.
You may be right. People still bring up Morrowind as an example of immersive game design. Most people here have fond memories of Oblivion. Skyrim was a masterpiece that continued to sell for a decade. No one is going to look back fondly at Starfield, or wish that new games were more like Starfield.

Shubh_C63

"And make no mistake, every studio on the planet knows the choices they are making. They know what players will complain about.Studios know 90% of the bugs that games are released with, they're just backed up against the wall. The same goes for game functions."

But really. In 15 Years active/non-active development this was the best they could come up with knowingly.

if this was not in Space it would have been dead in the waters but it IS on space.

Shubh_C63

I think survival plays a big element of space much like water does in subnautica, effort must be put into oxygen management, resource management and so on.
The whole Helium gathering things makes me think it was much more survival in its first iteration.

I still believe ( if they are smart) to release a SURVIVAL MODE with their first vision. Like you would actually have to complete a Solar system's few missions that provides you with the tool to get to the next system.

sendit

The biggest issue I have with this game is fast travel. It basically takes you out of the experience. Loading screen after loading screen. Take note on how Spider Man 2 does it, that game set a new bar for how fast travel should work and transitioning a player seamlessly.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Take note on how Spider Man 2 does it, that game set a new bar for how fast travel should work and transitioning a player seamlessly.
My 5-year-old nephew has been playing (and loving) Spider-Man 2. After ~15 hours, I showed him the fast travel for the first time.

I swear he had the biggest smile with a face full of awe.

Obviously, he doesn't understand the technicalities nor has he played as many games before to realize what's so different about this, but he could feel how cool it was. The fast travel in Spider-Man 2 really is amazing.

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
Todd Himself said that it doesn't matter 10, 100 or 1000 - because it's all procedural.
IMO 5 interesting star systems with different planets and moons are more than enough.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I can't get over that they seem pleased with the game, aren't they exclusively judging the success of their game via shitposts on here and the review from Metro?

Microsoft paid 7 billion for this company.

Yes.

And this game is big reason why they paid so much. With this release, Bethesda is learning new tricks, making them valuable.

If you think an amateur open world game developer that made their first open world 4 years ago by copying someone, can make something like this, you are sorely mistaken.

Getting pacing and quest structure right in this gameworld, that's divided into multiple sections is something new.

Like it or not, they perfected their formula with Skyrim. This is them going above and beyond that.

The main reason all those planets exist is for outposts and mining resources to build and upgrade and craft ships, equipment, suits, and guns.

LRKD

I think the biggest problem is that having 1000 planets makes it 1000x times harder to naturally find meaningful content. In Skyrim you could just walk any direction out of Helgen and find fun meaningful content. In starfield, 99% of the stuff you'd run into is useless unless you are on one of the 4 (small) cities in the whole galaxy.

Then to make it even worse every planet, and moon seems to be ran through the same procedural generation where there is always an abandoned space station, or an active space station, or a landing party every 500 feet. Makes it feel like the whole galaxy has somehow been explored. They'll even be within visual distance of these alien temples and artifacts that you are "discovering" Yup first person to ever discover these temples despite the whole planet being covered in stations. I think it would've been far better if the planets were entirely desolate. No human life or activity on 90% of the planets so it felt like you were actually exploring space.

They also should've made colonized planets be like just a 'zone' Think like Taris in Kotor. Yeah you can't make an entire planet of sky scrapers, so give a lore reason why you are only allowed in a small area, maybe the planet is under quarantine, but they allow you in a small section for an important quest chain. Or maybe you just don't have clearance or something. Doesn't matter, but the fact that all the cities in the future are so small, and all the planets are so underdeveloped is hard to believe. The game feels so Un immersive, and far more linear than it should because of all these problems.

Top Bottom