• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda: Prey 2 Is Still In Dev, Delayed Past 2012 [Up: Removed from line-up]

Saty

Development of Prey 2 has not been cancelled but the game will not be released in 2012 as planned. The delay is due to the fact that game development has not progressed satisfactorily this past year, and the game does not currently meet our quality standards. Prey 2 has shown great promise and we regret disappointing our fans. We have made a substantial investment in game development to deliver the experience fans want. We are determined only to release the AAA game that fans rightfully expect, and are unwilling to compromise our quality standards to meet a release schedule.
http://www.vg247.com/2012/04/19/prey-2-not-canned-confirms-bethesda-but-wont-make-2012/

V_Ben

Banned
http://www.vg247.com/2012/04/19/prey-2-not-canned-confirms-bethesda-but-wont-make-2012/

Development of Prey 2 has not been cancelled but the game will not be released in 2012 as planned. The delay is due to the fact that game development has not progressed satisfactorily this past year, and the game does not currently meet our quality standards. Prey 2 has shown great promise and we regret disappointing our fans. We have made a substantial investment in game development to deliver the experience fans want. We are determined only to release the AAA game that fans rightfully expect, and are unwilling to compromise our quality standards to meet a release schedule.

So, that's that. No wonder those talks were cancelled then.

cilonen

Woohoo. But, er, if it isn't currently meeting BetaShed's quality standards it must be in awful shape. Does it physically hurt the player or something?

So it took them a year to realise things weren't going well? Respect for them for them delaying it, but shouldn't these problems be fixed sooner? I hope someone got fired.
Not up to Beth's quality standards? Don't even want to imagine the mess that this game must be.
Most of the preview coverage I read was overwhelmingly positive. Can't understand what went wrong.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
"Couldn't work out how to make a functioning game beyond the amazing scripted demo shown last year. Cracking whips currently."

I think that's a fair translation.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
As mentioned in the other thread, I bet we (the internet) had a hand in this. Seems like it may have been on the verge of cancellation, but Bethesda saw the outcry.

Whichever reason, I am happy. :)

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
OH MY GOD YES!!!!!!!! DELAY IT BUT DON'T CANCEL IT!

CSX

Possible early 2013 then? It will be competing with Crysis 3. Early 2013 already looking good then :)

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Oh yes Bethesda, purveyor of games that run like shit, and suer of fansites, I can't wait to continue supporting you and your products!

Saty

This begs the question why didn't they clarify the game's situation right-away after the rumor surfaced. Maybe it was on the brink of canning.

Bethesda and not meeting quality standards in one sentence...

sorry but I LOL'd.

First get your own act together before you bitch about your acquisite studios...

Happy for Human Head that they can still work on their project though.

875uhp1kim.gif

Derrick01

Banned
"Couldn't work out how to make a functioning game beyond the amazing scripted demo shown last year. Cracking whips currently."

I think that's a fair translation.

I don't recall it being scripted. I mean unless doing a mission/quest is called scripted. The area the demo was in was completely open and the guy could have taken any way he wanted.

Tucah

you speak so well
Good news that it's not cancelled, bad news that we haven't heard anything because it's a mess at the moment.

Alrus

Great! No more people complaining about this in the Dishonored threads at last :D

And this game is obviously stuck in development hell... Maybe they got a bit too ambitious :/

Kifimbo

This begs the question why didn't they clarify the game's situation right-away after the rumor surfaced. Maybe it was on the brink of canning.

Speculation: probably because the rumor surfaced when Bethesda took the game away from Human Head. Someone concluded it was cancelled. Instead, Bethesda studied the situation and deciced to finish the game instead of cancelling it, and probably needed some time to find a new studio.

Not up to Beth's quality standards? Don't even want to imagine the mess that this game must be.

It doesn't crash to desktop without even so much as an error message every 10 to 15 minutes like Skyrim did for the first whole month, therefore not up to Bethesda's "quality standards".

There was probably a big fall out over it at Zenimax; I bet Human Head was preying that the game wasn't going to be sent to oblivion.

Top Bottom