• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda will be removing anti-cheat technology in next Doom Eternal update for PC

thief183

To be honest in this case I was ok with it. Cheating is a discgrace in PC gaming and If the sistem worked it would have been awesome. I can understand the problematic around it but it could have good.

The thing they needed to do is a complete trasparency on disistallation, and maybe a choice to avois install it and don't play multiplayer.

Saber

Gold Member
They usually do this when they can't handle the problems on their own...which is almost aways.

It's a great thing though. The problem is why they even need to bring a harmfull anti-cheating device in the first place.

Last edited:

PhoenixTank

Cool. They're removing it now and returning pending the ability for campaign-only players to never have to install it.

MiguelItUp

It didn't bother me, however, since this update I can't matchmake in BattleMode. So I can't get my challenges done. :mad:

Woo-Fu

Banned
Denuvo really need to go out of business. Pure cancer.
If it was pure cancer it'd already be out of business. Publishers believe they are deriving value from it or they'd stop paying for it.

As far as anti-cheat goes Bethesda appears to have their heart in the right place on this one. They want to give their customers a cheater-free multiplayer experience( which is a good goal to have, IMHO ), and they've responded appropriately when the community overwhelmingly told them that denuvo anti-cheat wasn't the answer.

Last edited:

Woo-Fu

Banned
Please dont defend Denuvo ffs, you're a gamer. If you dont have a problem with it then fine but dont fucking defend it.
I was obviously talking from a gamers perspective. I dont give a shit if publishers like it or not.
I'm not defending Denuvo, I'm stating facts. I didn't say I didn't have a problem with it. You need to back the fuck up, cupcake.

You should give a shit that publishers like it since that is why it is getting put into games. If you want that to stop happening you should give publishers a reason to not like it. That's how a free market works.

Stop buying games from any publisher that uses or has used Denuvo in the past. If they put in Denuvo after the fact demand a refund AND TELL THEM WHY.

Last edited:
I read some stupid article a few years ago, it might have actually been a post about Denuvo existing because of shareholders. Something about giving the illusion of trying to protect the product short term from piracy. At first I laughed but honestly its as good a reason as any on why they (publishers) still push to use it even today after years of it being short term junk.

njean777

I get the point of anti-cheat software, but alls you have to do is: ASK THE USER IF THEY WANT TO INSTALL IT (while explaining what is being installed). If they don't, then they cannot play any multiplayer modes for the game in question. If the game is full MP then at least have the decency to tell them what is being installed.

Last edited:

Amey

5wYbyZd.jpg

Kataploom

Gold Member
To be honest in this case I was ok with it. Cheating is a discgrace in PC gaming and If the sistem worked it would have been awesome. I can understand the problematic around it but it could have good.

The thing they needed to do is a complete trasparency on disistallation, and maybe a choice to avois install it and don't play multiplayer.

Nah, they have to make it optional for those who want to play online at most... There's a lot of people who only play campaigns that don't want the seccurity, privacy and safety of their computers being compromised because of a game.

I know someone who had to reinstall Windows on their computer once again and again, loosing a whole day of work because of Valorant anti-cheat software, until they realized that it was solved by just not installing the game.

GHG

Why does there always have to be someone who will defend such obvious bullshittery?

Someone please explain this phenomenon to me.

xrnzaaas

I don't get it why they've introduced it in the first place. The multiplayer mode never picked up and it wasn't struggling with tons of cheaters like many big online titles. What they've achieved is they've only pissed off their customer base.

Rikkori

That's nice. I was regretting getting it at launch due to not enjoying it as much as 2016 but at least they were kind enough to include a DRM-free exe as well. This Denuvo post-launch shenanigans really irked me though, especially since let's face it the MP is awful & I hate having DRM forced on me when I'm never gonna leave SP anyway. They had earned enough good will with 2016 so I didn't mind getting it at launch but now after Eternal I'm definitely going to exercise more patience wrt future id games.

Valorant also has a kernel-level anti-cheat but there isn't as much uproar against Riot as there has been against Bethesda. I wonder why that is...?

Because Valorant is f2p and an online game. Doom Eternal is a singleplayer game first and multiplayer second. You don't need kernel level anti-cheat for singleplayer.

Why does there always have to be someone who will defend such obvious bullshittery?

I try to be as open to differing perspectives as much as possible. I fail often, but I really do try.

That being said, I honestly just can't ever get behind a game/company forcing this kinda thing on the users/players

Valorant also has a kernel-level anti-cheat but there isn't as much uproar against Riot as there has been against Bethesda. I wonder why that is...?

There was definitely backlash, and Valorant isn't open to everyone yet.

thief183

Opinions? I can't understand why you don't agree with me for example.

I imagine everyone is using google, Apple, or any other big thing, but that is not a big deal no?

iHaunter

Bethesda has 0 involvement in creating this game, their only involvement was fucking it up. How incompetent can they possibly be. Let id Software to carry your poor image into the a brighter light and stay out of their way. Bunch of baboons.

RScrewed

Please dont defend Denuvo ffs, you're a gamer. If you dont have a problem with it then fine but dont fucking defend it.
I was obviously talking from a gamers perspective. I dont give a shit if publishers like it or not.

You need reading lessons. He wasn't defending it based on its merits. He was asking a bigger picture question - why's it even popular to bundle it into software in the first place?

That's something I've wrestled with myself. I can't really figure it out.

Every single game, ever made, with anti-piracy or not - is available online. One way or another, if someone wants to pirate something, they'll be able to do so.

Keeping that in mind, what kind of out-of-touch business execs at these companies are being convinced that bundling software that will only eventually be defeated anyway is a good idea from a financial perspective? Do they really recoup ANY of the money they pay these anti-piracy companies from recovered sales? Either management is being fooled at pitch meetings from the likes of Denuvo, or the people responsible for making the decisions in purchasing Denuvo's services for their publishing companies have a financial stake in Denuvo making profits. Maybe there's a kickback or something? Who knows.

Honestly you can never be sure with management at companies anyway, they're all run by boomers and Karens so what would you expect...But...

All that are things the end user has no control of anyway. What we do have control over is what we buy. The customer base did pretty well to heed the suggestion "if you don't like, don't buy it" from EA/DiCE, we ought to really do the same for ever other release like this.

The Pre-Order culture that gamers have been talked into (forking over your money before even letting someone give you any information of the final product) is the most amazingly anti-consumer practice. And the average gamer thinks he/she is actually smarter than the regular population, lol.

As long as we're religiously buying games, we're really no better than other creatures of habits you might make fun of for (think of every other kind of behavior you look down upon).

Last edited:

GHG

Opinions? I can't understand why you don't agree with me for example.

I imagine everyone is using google, Apple, or any other big thing, but that is not a big deal no?

In this case I couldn't give a shit about "opinions" when said "opinion" is so clearly wrong and only results in hurting yourself as a consumer in favour of corporate cheerleading. It's tomfoolery.

It would come as no surprise to me if you were also supportive of crap like the Xbox One DRM plan, UWP on the windows store and the bullshit Epic games is pulling at the moment with their store.

You're a consumer, not a shareholder, act like one.

Last edited:

thief183

In this case I couldn't give a shit about "opinions" when said "opinion" is so clearly wrong and only results in hurting yourself as a consumer in favour of corporate cheerleading. It's tomfoolery.

It would come as no surprise to me if you were also supportive of crap like the Xbox One DRM plan, UWP on the windows store and the bullshit Epic games is pulling at the moment with their store.

You're a consumer, not a shareholder, act like one.

First of all you don't know if I'm or I'm not a shareholder :p (I'm not....I'd love... but I'm poor as fk)

I can totally say the same thing about your opinion, your opinion is so wrong that I don't even consider it valid.

Btw if you took your time reading my original post instead of act as a fanboy of... dunno something, you would have noticed that I wasn't defending it, I was saying that , given the ability to have a choice (accept it and play multiplayer, don't accept it and pley single only) , I'd love to have a system to stop cheaters.

As a consumer I'0m more concerned about being able to play and have with the product I buy instead of having to stop playing it for the cheaters.

About Xbox DRM, couldn't care less, about Epic store, I totally support it cause as a consumer I love my free game and the lower prices.

thief183

Nah, they have to make it optional for those who want to play online at most... There's a lot of people who only play campaigns that don't want the seccurity, privacy and safety of their computers being compromised because of a game.

I know someone who had to reinstall Windows on their computer once again and again, loosing a whole day of work because of Valorant anti-cheat software, until they realized that it was solved by just not installing the game.

Isn't that what I said?

Looks like noone reached this sentence in my post.

Top Bottom