• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda & Xbox To Meet Up With Laid-Off Deep Silver Volition Employees

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Soooo, Red Faction might live on or in some kind of spiritual way?
My son boots up the Guerrilla remaster all the time just to fuck around with the destruction and I gotta say, it’s still a decent looking game.

One can hope.
But the Red Faction IP and likely the engines have been moved to Plaion.
If the engine engineers get snatched up, then I could totally see a Red Faction spiritual successor being made.
Saints Row is dead though.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

That's honestly really cool of them. It really sucks to work for a place where you're happy, only to have it torn away from you. In some cases it can leave you feeling lost and helpless.

Fortunately in the game industry it's easier to get a new gig in place. But it's not often where studios will offer a helping hand exactly like this.

But whoever was responsible for their bad calls hopefully has learned something, or isn't out in that position again.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I am pretty sure that's rofif rofif dick. He likes to show it around it around you know...

On topic - meh, I don't think they'll be that good of an addition to MS. Their last game was a stinker.
qPLjpf0.jpg

DAHGAMING

Gold Member
Cant wait for Xbox to become more soy, realy looking forward to them having a say on the next Halo and making Master Chief camp and unvield that he has blue hair with a just stop oil style armour.

BosmerCulter

Neo Member
Some former leads of Volition and the first Saints Row are already working at UndeadLabs (as example, the founder of Volition Mike Kulas who left the company after Saints Row 3).

Last edited:

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Imagine meeting with the same people that got their studio closed down because they doubled down on bad design and talked smack to their potential customers?
I think Agents of Mayhem was a foreshadowing of what was to come.

None of those games are woke to me.

As much as silly folks like to strawman it... woke =/= better representation and diversity in games.

It means "representation and diversity at the expense of everything else". You only need to look at the quality and critical/user reviews of the games you list here and compare them with the latest Saints Row (lol) to make this point abundantly clear, that nothing was sacrificed on the alter of wokeness for these games, whereas Saints Row gave up its entire identity for shitty radical leftist dev self-insert caricatures and an overall low effort, shit game.

None of those games are woke to me.

As much as silly folks like to strawman it... woke =/= better representation and diversity in games.

It means "representation and diversity at the expense of everything else".
The only difference between these and saints row is saints row is a bad game...woke turned into "things i dont like" as opposed to an objective way to criticize art. Its why when things are good people tend to remove the woke label. Its a moving goal post.

Ozriel

M$FT
Some of the takes in this thread are really wild. These are people’s jobs on the line, and I’m not sure it’s completely fair to blame many shop floor devs for the direction of the last Saints Row that was most certainly decided by management.

The whole “you’re only as good as your last game” mantra is nonsense anyway. Imagine someone dismissing Insomniac Games after Fuse bombed heavily.

Could Microsoft perhaps consider acquiring the Descent and FreeSpace IPs as well?

When the GTVA forces finally reach Sol, after a harrowing expulsion from the Capella system at the hands of the relentless Shivans, they stumble upon a drastically altered timeline. Earth is now ensnared in a seemingly hopeless battle against the formidable Covenant. And in this dire hour, the beacon of hope turns out to be none other than the legendary Master Chief, guided by his unflinchingly loyal AI, Siri.

In this unexpected convergence of worlds, alliances will be tested and new bonds formed as they band together to face the cataclysmic threat posed by the Shivans, potentially giving birth to an alliance that could save their interconnected worlds from the brink of destruction.

2CHnTiP.gif

Yeah, yeah, I've got no life.

They can barely manage the IPs they already have. Why buy more? Really dislike how whenever these situations pop up, the first thing on everyone's mind is "Wonder if Microsoft can buy them?".

Way to go, Mascot Spencer™.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Didint they shut down for producing woke material that nobody wanted? Now all of a sudden you want them to take over the HALO franchise and others? :messenger_tears_of_joy:
They shut down because the game was bad. I don't know what people who cry woke at everything think was woke about it. Was it because some of the characters of a game set in a Southwestern city were not white or something?

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
They can barely manage the IPs they already have. Why buy more? Really dislike how whenever these situations pop up, the first thing on everyone's mind is "Wonder if Microsoft can buy them?".

Way to go, Mascot Spencer™.

isn’t it over two decades since the last games were made with those IPs? Isn’t it extremely unlikely you’re getting a game in those franchise anytime soon?

Even if you’re fundamentally opposed to Microsoft, it’s some weird reasoning to be prefer a flailing company dying out vs being bailed out.

The only difference between these and saints row is saints row is a bad game...woke turned into "things i dont like" as opposed to an objective way to criticize art. Its why when things are good people tend to remove the woke label. Its a moving goal post.

Ok, so you don't read posts and instead just project some other BS. Gotcha. I'll be sure to ignore disingenuous arguments like these.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
They shut down because the game was bad. I don't know what people who cry woke at everything think was woke about it. Was it because some of the characters of a game set in a Southwestern city were not white or something?
Considering the cast of previous Saints Row games would be considered "woke" today, im surprised people called Saints Row'22 woke as if the games werent cast diverse from the get go.
The game was just not well received and sold poorly.........ohh and Embracer was praying for some Arab money that didnt come through, so they literally cant afford to keep all their studios.

JimboJones

I mean there are probably plenty of really smart people out of a job from there that didn't necessarily have anything to do with the game concepts or decisions regarding those.

They had company-wide layoffs with the gaming division being one of them. They're always hiring more people as well.

Can't fire people if you don't hire them first.

df215b75ebbf175e374f996517d24b7d.gif

isn’t it over two decades since the last games were made with those IPs? Isn’t it extremely unlikely you’re getting a game in those franchise anytime soon?

Even if you’re fundamentally opposed to Microsoft, it’s some weird reasoning to be prefer a flailing company dying out vs being bailed out.

But as others have been saying, Volition was shut down because they released a mediocre product that sold poorly. The consequence of that was the studio's closure.

Considering the cast of previous Saints Row games would be considered "woke" today, im surprised people called Saints Row'22 woke as if the games werent cast diverse from the get go.
The game was just not well received and sold poorly.........ohh and Embracer was praying for some Arab money that didnt come through, so they literally cant afford to keep all their studios.

Only at the surface level by lazy bigots who can't give more than 20 minutes of attention span. The characters are actually written quite well in those old SR games, there's edgy (well, by today's standards) humor that wouldn't fly in a modern version of the game, and the writing is consistent and logical for the type of story it is.

The new Saints Row failed in all of those area. Like, you have legit businessmen talking about suing illegal street gangs, whose leaders...just 100% acknowledge the lawsuit and think a person with a legal business has any real stake in a company that doesn't even legally exist (because it's technically a gang)? The new SR plays stuff like that off completely unironically; at least have the common sense to realize how hilarious that concept is and make fun of it the way most people would.

YuLY

These are people’s jobs on the line
Fuck 'em. The world doesnt owe you anything, you make trash to push your activism, be ready for possible consequences. It seems there arent that many black female gamers that feel represented by your main character and wanna buy your game.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Can't wait to see Cortana and Master Chief lamenting saving the earth as humanity still suffers from the effect of student loans.
Earth is required to accept refugees and migrants from the covenant or else they would be called racist.

xrnzaaas

You're supposed to rescue Mimimi Games, Microsoft, not the woke devs from Volition.

Last edited:
Top Bottom