• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda's Creation Club mod platform is live in Skyrim

Link.

As previously promised at its E3 conference earlier this year, Bethesda has brought its Creation Club mod peddling program over to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim after a short testing period late last month.

As with the Creation Club launched in Fallout 4 this past August, the Skyrim Creation Club is a microtransaction marketplace that offers players a selection of additional content like armor, items, and game modes created by both Bethesda and third-party mod makers.

While the program got its start in the wastelands of Fallout 4, the Creation Club’s jump to Skyrim is especially notable given the game’s troubled past with the implementation of 'paid mods.’ Both Bethesda and Valve partnered up way back in 2015 to try and transform Skyrim’s Steam Workshop into a marketplace where mod makers could affix a price tag on their wares and earn a chunk of change for their work.

The program itself imploded in a matter of days and kicked off a hefty discussion on the legal, practical, and even ethical questions paid mods posed.

So, with such a controversy in its past, the differences between Skyrim’s early paid mods program and the Creation Club should be of particular note to game developers and mod-makers alike.

The Creation Club isn’t so much of a paid mods platform as it is an in-game way for players to purchase currency and pick up DLC similar in size and function to the kind of community-made mods Skyrim has seen for half a decade. But, whether it comes from Bethesda or third parties, every piece of content on the store is curated and doesn’t replace the free mods already available on Steam and other websites.

The Fallout 4 Creation Club has already outlived Skyrim’s initial foray into paid custom content, so it’s likely that the game’s second attempt will have a much less catastrophic launch this time around. But, that isn’t to say that the Creation Club is perfect. Skyrim modder Nick Pearce published an insightful Gamasutra blog on the pros and cons of Bethesda’s Creation Club months back that is well worth a second read now that the platform has launched in Skyrim.

packy34

Bethesda is “generously” offering Survival Mode for free right now.

That’s right - a difficulty mode will be locked behind a paywall soon.

Please don’t support this.

lazygecko

Aside from the Survival Mode, I looked at the general quality and scope of the Zombie DLC, and frankly it feels insulting that they're charging money for this. It wouldn't even have been considered an average quality free mod. All they did was add a visual variant of the Draugr monster, ie no new animations or AI behavior or anything, with 1 single moan sound effect repeated for all its actions, and then placed some nondescript necromancers in a random location that drop summon spells for them.

What's worse, the storefront description deceptively markets the whole thing like it would be some new zombie horde mechanic/gameplay mode added into the game.

Hamoody

Skyrim's reviews on Steam dropped to mixed.

I seriously don't understand the point of Bethesda's Creation Club.

I would rather support the developer of the mods through a donate page then using the flawed system that is "Bethesda Creation Club". I'm seriously losing respect for Bethesda.

Audioboxer

Jeez that was quick. I thought it would be the next Elder Scrolls game that got it.

The next part of the plan for the months and years to come, get more hostile towards free mods and try and divert everything through the paid store to skim off the top.

Snoopycat

Banned
Bethesda are a disgusting company aren't they. Trying to turn mods into a paid service is a new low even for this industry. It's the sort of penny pinching greed that I'd have expected from Activision or EA.

It's paid mods no matter how you want to dress it up

Yes, it is. I don't think anyone will deny that.

The question is, do you think having the option of paying for a modder effort is bad, if he chooses to go though that path? Apart from 'I prefer to have free stuff lol'. Shouldn't you respect the modder decision of wanting to make be paid for his work?
At least, we still have the option of loading up free mods of modders that think they should be free.

Snefer

Its not paid mods. Its more like hiring contractors to make DLC (or actually, thats exactly what it is)

I hope the makers of mods finally get what they deserve

The creators of mods that are actually worth paying for are overwhelmingly against this kind of thing.

Tamriel Rebuilt? Against
Beyond Skyrim? Against
Skyblivion? Against
The creator of FROST/DUST for Fallout? Against
The creator of Horizon? Against
Fallout The Frontier? Against
Beyond Skyrim? Against
whKNW.png

In theory, would I pay for something of the caliber of any of these projects? Sure... But instead it's horse armor and a difficulty mode that should've been in the base game 6 years ago.

To anyone honestly expecting a project of comparable ambition, what motive is there to work on something like that under the Creation Club when they're paying pennies on the dollar with hardly any assistance? They're already developing entirely new assets, scripting everything and in many cases, doing the voice acting and motion capture. Why not go the extra mile and make a commercial product?

Make no mistake, this benefits Bethesda more than anyone else. Don't let them pull this shit or it will get worse. Soon they'll start locking out traditional modding under the guise of protecting users, so everything has to go through them so they can get their slice. There are zero pure intentions with any of this shit.

Steroyd

Yes, it is. I don't think anyone will deny that.

The question is, do you think having the option of paying for a modder effort is bad, if he chooses to go though that path? Apart from 'I prefer to have free stuff lol'. Shouldn't you respect the modder decision of wanting to make be paid for his work?
At least, we still have the option of loading up free mods of modders that think they should be free.

From what I understand the Modders aren't credited for whatever mod they made on the store because they belong to Bethesda, and the Modders themselves don't get royalties per sale sooo they already got paid the moment it hit the storefront.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
The creators of mods that are actually worth paying for are overwhelmingly against this kind of thing.

Tamriel Rebuilt? Against
Beyond Skyrim? Against
The creator of FROST/DUST for Fallout? Against
The creator of Horizon? Against
Fallout The Frontier? Against
Beyond Skyrim? Against
whKNW.png

In theory, would I pay for something of the caliber of any of these projects? Sure... But instead it's horse armor and a difficulty mode that should've been in the base game 6 years ago.

How strange i guess they don't like money?

shimon

No one should support this shit. It's not about the modders,it's about Bethesda getting even more money.

From what I understand the Modders aren't credited for whatever mod they made on the store because they belong to Bethesda, and the Modders themselves don't get royalties per sale sooo they already got paid the moment it hit the storefront.

Then it seems a bad deal, I thought they would get a %. And proper credits are a minimum!

It depends of how much they are paid upfront, of course. But this is Bethesda, so I suppose we can think they will pay as little as possible.

ramparter

Banned

Additional content requires payment. That is totally fine. Ill agree though its shitty since tgis is pretty much a mod that was offered for free.

My SO loves their games she eats them up and we play on ps4. So I get stuff on the creation club for her so she can have new content and It don't fuck up trophies. I don't have a problem with this it makes her happy and that makes me happy. I will continue to buy it as it's the only way to get new content for these games on ps4 and I hate the pc.

I wouldn't have any problems with them doing additional microtransactions for their games, as long at it's they themselves, or other professional developers, who do them.

And if they actually did something wortwhile with it. Because the available items in the Fallout 4 Creation Clubs are laughable, at best.

Additional content requires payment. That is totally fine. Ill agree though its shitty since tgis is pretty much a mod that was offered for free.

No, it doesn't. We're talking about a billion dollar company patching in survival mechanics for a game that takes place in an open world frozen wasteland within a first person role playing series that is largely successful because of how "immersive" it is. It should've been free and it should've been in the game from the start. I have no idea why it wasn't, especially after the success of Fallout New Vegas' survival mode.

It's funny how terribly Bethesda is botching a great opportunity to profit even more than they already do off the modding community, by hiring the individuals responsible for the script extenders for their games. Modders can make worthwhile content day one and users that want to mod their games aren't being told "wait six months until the script extender is out so modders can start making significant changes". I mean, every single game they have ever released has a script extender which is considered mandatory for many of the top mods... And despite Morrowind/Oblivion/Fallout 3/Fallout New Vegas/Skyrim/Fallout 4 needing them, they've implemented very little of that functionality natively over the years.

Why even bother with paid mods? It's a minefield for PR and whatever money they're making off it is truly insignificant compared to what they could be earning if modders could do what they need to do without waiting 3-6 months down the line for the unofficial script extenders, long after the initial hype window is over. Not to mention that something like the SKSE kills any possibility of something like Enderal coming to consoles.

Jacknapes

The only bonus i see is that the Creation Club doesn't disable trophies, so if i decided to mod Skyrim to play it again, at least that option is available.

I love Skyrim, more than Fallout 4 (i had to mod Fallout 4 with a large amount of stuff to make the settlement building bearable and less chorish. Then that freed me up to go an explore the Wasteland.

120v

i'd actually be willing to pay for something like new quests or whatever. i just can't believe they're trying to make a case for this thing with soul arrows or whatever the fuck

Daedardus

Some people just like doing things in their free time and want to serve the community. The recognition and small voluntary donations they get are far more important for them than locking their stuff behind a paywall just so they can earn more.

I downloaded the survival mode for free and looked at the other items in the club. Not seeing anything that would make me want to shell out money. If you are going to debut a new mod shop, shouldn't you actually put out something that will get people interested?

lazygecko

Would you like the logistics of distributing money across douzens of contributors to a major team project, and also managing the inevitable psychological fallout over which people deserve a bigger payoff than others which will ultimately poison the entire spirit behind what is really just a fan passion project people do in their spare time?

Seems pretty meh. I wouldn't mind trying the survival mode but I'm only seeing Skyrim sold digitally for the PS4 going for $60.

Of course they can sell small DLC in their store. You can still dload mods from Nexus and other sites (keep away from Steam, remember that they tried to do this already and will try again).

I don't see anything wrong with this. They offer an easier alternative, maybe even one that works seamlessly and without constant compability tweaking.

IF they make that the only way to get mods for their games, THEN it is a problem.

lazygecko

Cuningas de Häme;251127884 said:
I don't see anything wrong with this. They offer an easier alternative, maybe even one that works seamlessly and without constant compability tweaking.

Since there's no difference in how this content is created compared to regular modding, there's no escape from potential compatibility problems. If one piece of content decides to change some existing cell in the world to put new stuff in there, and another piece of content happens to change the same cell in some way, they're going to overlap and potentially cause conflicts.

The only way to mitgate this risk is if you assume a user is only relying on CC content, then Bethesda has their own stringent internal rules on CC-published content prohibiting them from conflicting with eachother in any way, and as the amount of added content stacks up over time, those rules are inevitably going to impede on creative ambitions.

Raptomex

So it's paid mods being masked as DLC? I'm all for mod creators being compensated in some way but I don't see this (the way Bethesda is doing it) leading to anything good. Mods made by the community for the community is one of the greatest benefits of this hobby and in Bethesda's case, many mods fix their otherwise broken games. But they also enhance the experience, increase replay value, and show off some truly amazing work created by fans. I'm very skeptical about this. Since I can still download mods elsewhere, that's what I'll be doing.

This is a very good point. It's a terrible mod to debut for this.

CloudWolf

There are lots of reasons for a mod creator to be against it.

1. Reportedly, it's a very small amount of money that Bethesda pays to the mod creators and there are no royalties
2. It creates a hostile environment of competition where mod creators will constantly try to one-up each other to get the most money instead of it just being fancreated content made for fun
3. It blocks people out of using your mods. Free = Lots of people will play your content. Paid = Lots of people will not buy your content.
4. A lot of mods depend on some other mod as a backbone to function, so who gets the money? The original creator of the assets this new mod is built on or the creator of the new mod? What if the creator of the original mod says 'no' or wants to monetize his own mod and you don't?
5. All the bigger mods use a Script Extender, this does not work with the Creation Club, making these mods impossible to play in newer versions of the game.

Linkark07

Banned
Cuningas de Häme;251127884 said:
IF they make that the only way to get mods for their games, THEN it is a problem.

Do you think they won't try this in the future if the Creation Club proves to be successful?

U-R

For a publisher an environment where free mods compete with your paid mods, free mods are just another form of piracy. One that, by the way, you have amazing tools to curb.

It's absolutely fine if modders want to go this route. But they're going to get called out on their bullshit when they recreate paid versions of free mods that already exist. "Survival Mode" is a mix of three free mods that have been available for years now, and among the most popular mods in Skyrim's history. So creating an identical version with a price tag adds absolutely nothing value of value to most players, and at best is clearly designed to nickel and dime PS4 players who don't have the option.

If this system was being used to produce new content, with modders using the funding and Bethesda's assistance to create "mini DLC" that genuinely provided something mods don't (for example, spears in Skyrim, with full animations - something modders are struggling to make a reality) then this would be awesome. But they're not doing that. They're rehashing existing free mods into paid mods, because... well I genuinely have no idea why.

Full disclosure: I'm a modder for Skyrim. I worked on Beyond Skyrim: Bruma, a huge landmass mod that was larger than official Bethesda DLC. I still think paid mods are a trash idea, but mostly because I don't like the idea of segregating the mod userbase into those can afford mods, and those who cannot.

Skade

There are lots of reasons for a mod creator to be against it.

1. Reportedly, it's a very small amount of money that Bethesda pays to the mod creators and there are no royalties
2. It creates a hostile environment of competition where mod creators will constantly try to one-up each other to get the most money instead of it just being fancreated content made for fun
3. It blocks people out of using your mods. Free = Lots of people will play your content. Paid = Lots of people will not buy your content.
4. A lot of mods depend on some other mod as a backbone to function, so who gets the money? The original creator of the assets this new mod is built on or the creator of the new mod? What if the creator of the original mod says 'no' or wants to monetize his own mod and you don't?
5. All the bigger mods use a Script Extender, this does not work with the Creation Club, making these mods impossible to play in newer versions of the game.

I would add that the previous paying mods attempt from Bethesda had new versions of successfull free mods wich would had lost all possible updates in free versions and that a bunch of them were also depending of other free mods to function. I even think one was using modified assets from a free mod.

Strangely, many mod authors hated that and vowed to never collaborate with Bethesda to monetize their work.

So yeah...

LordRaptor

The question is, do you think having the option of paying for a modder effort is bad, if he chooses to go though that path?

you're right, and I don't.

This is dangerously close to "no true scotsman" territory.
I find it unlikely that there will never be a paid mod worth paying for.

Top Bottom