• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bets on the next Hollywood Anime adaptation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrazyDude

I hope it's Attack on Titan or Fullmetal Alchemist so we can have a big fight about whitewashing franchises that obviously have taken their aesthetic from European culture. But I thrive on fuckery.

That's cause they are white in those Manga. Attack on Titan makes it clear that Mikasa is the only one left with Asian in her(half at that). FMA has Asian characters coming from Xing. At most Eric is half fictional Persian and the people of Amestris are suppose to German/British/French, with some black people here and there.

Ridley327

Vampire Hunter D starring Huge Jackedman

TBH, I don't think you would see too many complaints about that property being whitewashed since it's so heavily European influenced to begin with, with the vast majority of the characters being white. Not that they couldn't add a bit more color in there if they wanted to, but GITS, it ain't.

manakel

I would love a Sailor Moon adaptation. Sadly, I think Hollywood would destroy any chances of it actually being decent.

With 90s kids coming into full adulthood and having lots of spending money, I'm thinking we're not too far from a Gundam adaptation. What I'm really rooting for though is a Netflix version of:

That looks like:

And not like:

At best you would you would get a diverse cast including white, asian, afican, and latin Sailors. Actually that would be really kick ass.

collige

Banned
It's coming out next summer finally and has a pretty decent cast/crew. It's a shame Lacey Chabert never got to play the role -- she really had the look down perfectly. Rosa Salazar is sort of a weird casting and I'll always be a little annoyed by her due to her character on Parenthood.

http://www.hsx.com/security/view/ALITA

The casting I'm fine with, but I just have no faith in Rodriguez given his history.

A Battle Angle Alita movie is already hapening : http://www.slashfilm.com/michelle-rodriguez-alita-battle-angel/

I can't wait for the kerfuffle of a Hispanic actress taking a Asian actress's role~

rosasalazar_battleangel-1400x1000.jpg
There's actually no evidence whatsoever that she's Asian outside of her birth name being "Yoko". The story takes place in the US and she's not from Earth.

nillapuddin

FMA Brotherhood is probably one of the most wide reaching stories told in popular anime, there really is something for everyone Imo.

(adventure,family,action,love,secret evil villain,etc,etc)

Plus, riza and winry are bae

If done well (it won't) I think it could actually make a pretty good run at i

Kaiterra

Banned
If you see any giant robot anime turned into a film it's gonna be Voltron.

I was talking about a potential Gundam adaptation with some friends and we came to the conclusion that there'd probably be an impasse as any Hollywood studio that knows what they're doing would rightly want to adapt Wing but that Bandai/Sunrise would totally insist on a Universal Century project. Now I think if you did UC right that'd be a way better prospect but it's also a much more challenging undertaking without the same nostalgia appeal in the West.

Ridley327

I must say I am surprised that Hollywood hasn't tried their hand at Gundam. Considering how much material is out there and doing a good job of splitting the difference between Star Wars for cast diversity and story depth and Transformers for giant robots and crazy setpieces, a lot of the work is already taken care for maintaining the franchise for years even if they stuck to just the UC stories. You could easily get trilogies out of 0079 and Zeta, and in fact have already been done in such formats!

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
But I'd like to see how America would do with a show like Reborn! Or Berserk.

Depends on who would make it. I have a feeling a lot of people would just play up stuff like the rape, sex and titilattion along the lines of what the Game of Thrones show did compared to the books. The right creative team, a sizable budget and a decent pre production and production schedule it could probably blow Game of Thrones out of the water.

Kaiterra

Banned
I must say I am surprised that Hollywood hasn't tried their hand at Gundam. Considering how much material is out there and doing a good job of splitting the difference between Star Wars for cast diversity and story depth and Transformers for giant robots and crazy setpieces, a lot of the work is already taken care for maintaining the franchise for years even if they stuck to just the UC stories. You could easily get trilogies out of 0079 and Zeta, and in fact have already been done in such formats!

http://www.zimmerit.moe/when-gundam-came-to-hollywood/

There was actually a Hollywood Gundam adaptation in the works before the Zeta Gundam anime even existed, but it didn't happen for a variety of reasons, probably the biggest being just how big a project it would've been. Syd Mead even was called in to do mechanical design, so it's cool he later got to do Turn A after this didn't pan out.

Lol yeah I would have ZERO faith in a American adaption of Naruto. Too many cultural differences between the source material and Hollywood that would get lost. It would be like Dragonball Evolution.

If there was one IP that would translate well into Hollywood is Berserk, but of course they can easily fuck that up as easily as they can do it justice.

Carl2291

Considering the popularity of Dragon Ball Super, I wouldn't be surprised to see them attempt something with the Dragon Ball franchise again.

Other than that, it's gonna be Attack on Titan.

wamberz1

Lol yeah I would have ZERO faith in a American adaption of Naruto. Too many cultural differences between the source material and Hollywood that would get lost. It would be like Dragonball Evolution.

If there was one IP that would translate well into Hollywood is Berserk, but of course they can easily fuck that up as easily as they can do it justice.

Yeah of all the shounen to adapt, naruto would be at the bottom of the list, with bleach and dragon ball following behind. The style of those worlds just wouldn't work IRL, methinks.

Same goes for one piece, the style is just too wacky to work IRL.

Boku no Hero Academia might have a shot, especially given it's influence by western comics.

Ridley327

http://www.zimmerit.moe/when-gundam-came-to-hollywood/

There was actually a Hollywood Gundam adaptation in the works before the Zeta Gundam anime even existed, but it didn't happen for a variety of reasons, probably the biggest being just how big a project it would've been. Syd Mead even was called in to do mechanical design, so it's cool he later got to do Turn A after this didn't pan out.

Yeah, that would have been WAAAAAAAAAY past the SFX capabilities of the era. These days, it's rather feasible, even if it would still wind up pretty expensive because of how much of the story takes place in space.

Yeah of all the shounen to adapt, naruto would be at the bottom of the list, with bleach and dragon ball following behind. The style of those worlds just wouldn't work IRL, methinks.

Same goes for one piece, the style is just too wacky to work IRL.

Boku no Hero Academia might have a shot, especially given it's influence by western comics.

Come to think of it, One Piece would be 1000000X worse than Naruto. The designs are cartoony and bizarre to the next level.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Come to think of it, One Piece would be 1000000X worse than Naruto. The designs are cartoony and bizarre to the next level.

I'm trying to imagine just how ridiculous a live-action luffy would look with his stretchy arms.

Or heck, even a more mundane detail like Zoro's three-sword style would look stupid as hell. Can you imagine somebody actually trying to hold a fucking sword in their mouth?

Beyond already mentioned Monster and Cowboy Bebop, I would love to see something like Slayers getting an TV adaptation. I think the world is lacking in light-hearted fantasy series and that could be a cool series. The animated series is actually a good blueprint, with season-long arc and some one-off episodes in-between.

I also have dreams about Resolutionary Girl Utena as a mini-series helmed by Bryan Fuller. Just imagine the imagery! The wicked humor and thick symbolism! That could be something weird and glorious.

Yeah, that would have been WAAAAAAAAAY past the SFX capabilities of the era. These days, it's rather feasible, even if it would still wind up pretty expensive because of how much of the story takes place in space.

Would Space really be that hard when it's mostly green screen?

Meier

I feel like ive been waiting on MONSTER forever now.

GDT was working on a TV adaptation for this to be on HBO but it's been dormant for awhile now and there is no plan for it to happen there. Who knows though, things could change. It is a truly perfect candidate for a show so I hope it happens someday.

Meier

The casting I'm fine with, but I just have no faith in Rodriguez given his history.

Rodriguez is a bit hit or miss but I think he's made some really good stuff in the past and the actual content is a good fit for him. But as I said, there's a really impressive cast involved (three Oscar winners in Waltz, Ali and Connelly) and Cameron is still a producer so I'm sure he'll want to ensure it's not awful at least.

Ridley327

Would Space really be that hard when it's mostly green screen?

It's not a matter of it being hard these days, so much as it just would be a really expensive project. Back before widespread CG, a project like Gundam would have been prohibitively expensive because of the mobile suits needing to move and in large numbers. I don't want to take anything away from Return of the Jedi, but ILM was probably not disappointed that the fighters and capital ships in the space battle in the end didn't require much in the animation department.

I will turn into your typical fanboy if they ever seriously entertain doing a Bebop movie.

I WILL FUCKING FIGHT ALL OF HOLLYWOOD TO STOP THAT SHIT

It's not a matter of it being hard these days, so much as it just would be a really expensive project. Back before widespread CG, a project like Gundam would have been prohibitively expensive because of the mobile suits needing to move and in large numbers. I don't want to take anything away from Return of the Jedi, but ILM was probably not disappointed that the fighters and capital ships in the space battle in the end didn't require much in the animation department.
I mean I get that, I was just wondering why a space setting particular matters that much for this type of project nowadays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom