• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BF1 Beta Stats: <900k peak concurrent (2X+ SW:BF), platform splits, would be #3 Steam

Not liked is probably an understatement. I bought BF4, DA:I and Battlefront all on sale (some huge ones, if I might add) for my PS4 even though my PC could probably run the games multiple times better. I ain't installing Origin here again, not for a long time. I have all the Mass Effect collectors but I'm skipping Andromeda, one of the reasons being Origin.

What do you not like about Origin, actually, what do PC Gamers not like about Origin?

I've been primary PC Gaming for 5 years and haven't had any trouble with Origin in the 4 years I've been using it, I don't mind it really, it's alright.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Why doesn't EA partner with Sony instead of MS to sell millions of bundles?
Its a no brainer
DICE shooters on PlayStation sell well.

Shooters in general sell well on Xbox.

EA thinks: Despite being popular on Xbox, we can increase our popularity and get more of the shooter market this way.

Edit: Think of this as a reverse Call of Duty situation. COD retained a lot of its Xbox playerbase due to Xbox COD deal and Xbox being the AAA shooter platform (relative to its population) and grew very well on Playstation.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm not sure what people are expecting out of the PC player count.

Here's the top games on Steam with the Battlefield 1 beta added.

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

PEAK TODAY | GAME

1,070,644 Dota 2
573,348 Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
143,105 Battlefield 1
73,858 Team Fortress 2
54,133 Sid Meier's Civilization V
54,859 ARK: Survival Evolved
53,570 Garry's Mod
45,108 Fallout 4
50,997 Rust
56,515 Football Manager 2016
43,243 Rocket League

It's lower than Counter-Strike, almost double number 4. ¯\_(&#12484;)_/¯

JJD

Its a no brainer

They know it is going to sell very well on Playstation. Not only the PS4 is the market leader, but the BF community there has always been bigger.

Going with MS makes sense because hopefully they can improve the BF community there even more (it's already a very healthy community).

Not to mention that MS has probably outbid Sony.

RoKKeR

BF on PC is for people who don't want a competitive team based FPS with a high skill ceiling, a punishing and immersive historical FPS, or a team based military simulator.

it's for people that sort of want all of those, but with a hollywood budget and without the depth of mechanics to give them any definition or nuance. the sort of people who migrated to consoles and never came back.
Well if this isn't some elitist bullshit! "The sort of people..." give me a break, lol.

Its a no brainer
They are partnered with Call of Duty now. It switched at the start of the generation.

They know it is going to sell very well on Playstation. Not only the PS4 is the market leader, but the BF community there has always been bigger.

Going with MS makes sense because hopefully they can improve the BF community there even more (it's already a very healthy community).

Not to mention that MS has probably outbid Sony.

i guess that makes sense

I'm not sure what people are expecting out of the PC player count.

Here's the top games on Steam with the Battlefield 1 beta added.

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

PEAK TODAY | GAME

1,070,644 Dota 2
573,348 Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
143,105 Battlefield 1
73,858 Team Fortress 2
54,133 Sid Meier's Civilization V
54,859 ARK: Survival Evolved
53,570 Garry's Mod
45,108 Fallout 4
50,997 Rust
56,515 Football Manager 2016
43,243 Rocket League

It's lower than Counter-Strike, almost double number 4. ¯\_(&#12484;)_/¯

Wow, I forgot how serious PC Gamers are with Civilization V.

The numbers are definitely good, the Battlefield games have really strong communities on PC, it will be interesting to see how it goes at launch.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I don't think I'll buy this on PC. SW Battlefront is fucking dead and it seems BF1 will follow the same path. :(

Battlefront was a shit game. Buy Battlefield game on PC without hesitation if you can. Best community

JJD

i guess that makes sense

Like MS and some retailers did with Destiny and Battlefront, I'm sure Sony can bundle the game with consoles. It just won't be an official bundle with game art on the console box and other small things.

And the exclusivity window for DLC is going to be 1 month at most, unlike the bullshit 1 year exclusivity on the Sony/Activision Destiny deal.

MS should work on an option to migrate your BF account/stats. If a Scorpio version of BF1 is considerably better than the Neo version I would probably jump ship (the difference would have to be bigger than the current PS4/Xbone difference for me, having played BF4 on both the resolution difference didn't bother me that much).

Nzyme32

On PC it would be the third most successful game on Steam today as well by almost a 2x margin:

Again this becomes a poor comparison as it doesn't indicate success on Steam.

You are looking at a free beta for a game vs established games. There is both a curiosity for the game and the free ability to get involved. What this will look like with the paid version and how that changes over time will be different - an actual measure of "success" against the other titles and allowing equal comparison against the respective games and their launch concurrent numbers

?

BF sells very well.

Concurrent numbers for free products are higher than when they have a price attached. It's that simple.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
PC players gradually leaving the franchise I think.

Nah, just look at it keeping up with PS4. There's players on PC. But Origin (and certain design decisions, see: Hardflop) are what hinder the series on PC.

What this will look like with the paid version and how that changes over time will be different - an actual measure of "success" against the other titles and allowing equal comparison against the respective games and their launch concurrent numbers.

Like I told you in the previous thread: BF as a series on PC is successful. It keeps up with the post-Skyrim Steam player counts for the main-series pretty successfully years later. The whole "lol console blows the fuck outta PC Battlefield's base" is kinda dumb since both platforms retain players for previous entries for years. There's people playing modified BF2 servers, FFS. I'm not sure how you guys can look at that and go "lol no one cares about the series on PC!" because it isn't pulling in CS:GO numbers.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
BF on PC is for people who don't want a competitive team based FPS with a high skill ceiling, a punishing and immersive historical FPS, or a team based military simulator.

it's for people that sort of want all of those, but with a hollywood budget and without the depth of mechanics to give them any definition or nuance. the sort of people who migrated to consoles and never came back.

Wow! Way to try and derail the thread with such a knowledgeable and can-do attitude. Not sure if trolling or just deluded.

Anyway...

These are pretty good numbers. Although, of course, it being a free beta means everyone who can try it, will try it. Having said that, they can also uninstall or not play it after a day or two; the fact that they still do should bode very well for DICE and EA.

Battlefield sells a ton of copies, so much so that in actually beats CoD in some territories if I'm not mistaken.

Nzyme32

Like I told you in the previous thread: BF as a series on PC is successful. It keeps up with the post-Skyrim Steam player counts for the main-series pretty successfully years later. The whole "lol console blows the fuck outta PC Battlefield's base" is kinda dumb since both platforms retain players for previous entries for years. There's people playing modified BF2 servers, FFS. I'm not sure how you guys can look at that and go "lol no one cares about the series on PC!" because it isn't pulling in CS:GO numbers.

This isn't even remotely what I either insinuate or say. It's simply saying the numbers are going to be different, and this is not a measure of game's success right now. It's that simple. And no I don't think BF on PC keeps up with post-Skyrim player counts, and that is easily verifiable by looking at what Skyrim numbers were, and what they are today, rather than looking at a single data point for a free beta.

*sigh* Battlefield used to be a PC game back in the day... 7 classes or bust.
I don't live back in the day. Battlefield nowadays is a CoD clone with bigger maps and vehicles, it's less popular on PC than Xbox or Playstation for a reason (not just lolOrigin). It's 100% a console game.

PC being that low is a bit surprising to me, but I often forget how well the PS4 has sold, and I can't help but wonder if the constant upgrading -- especially with performance leaps as high as that seen with the new generation of GPUs -- is starting to slow adoption for some people who see the constant increase in performance too expensive to keep up with.

It amazes me that people still say this stuff in 2016.

CoD also used to be a PC game..

Those were the days!

Since when? Console has easily destroyed PC in terms of users for a while now.

Isn't almost every game nowadays?

The amount of PC gamers drastically dwarfs the amount of console gamers. Which is why there is a lot more choice and a lot more games on PC. It's also why heavily marketed but vapidly empty games like Battlefront die quickly and games that are supported with some depth of content and require some level of skill do not.

Battlefront retains console gamers because console gamers have a lot less to choose from.

Jharp

I know for BF4 and BFH PS4 dominated, and even PS3 did super well (at least with BF4), but man this doesn't give me any confidence for the health and future of a PC playerbase. BF4 is still going strong, but Hardline and Battlefront just fucking TANKED on PC. I'd much rather buy this on PC, but not if it loses it's playerbase in six months >_>

Gorillaz

Blizzard timed the Overwatch Ranked Season 2 to coincide with the open beta release, it definitely affected those PC figures.
I remember someone said they did the same shit to battleborn and its betas over the past year. I almost wouldn't be surprised if they didnt that lol. Probably will release sombra at its launch too lol.

sflufan

Banned
As a PC gamer, we know exactly what we're getting with BF1 so we participating in the demo isn't really all that necessary. I'm pretty sure PC will be the #2 platform as it was for BF4.

In contrast, I have no doubt that the PC version of Titanfall 2 won't merely die after a few weeks, but that it actually will be stillborn because of its exclusion from the tech test. Thanks for that, Respawn!

sflufan

Banned
I know for BF4 and BFH PS4 dominated, and even PS3 did super well (at least with BF4), but man this doesn't give me any confidence for the health and future of a PC playerbase. BF4 is still going strong, but Hardline and Battlefront just fucking TANKED on PC. I'd much rather buy this on PC, but not if it loses it's playerbase in six months >_>

The PC player base will be fine in 6 months. It will be fine in a year.

Don't use the garbage that was Hardline or Battlefront to assess a "mainline" Battlefield title.

Those games both sucked and deserved to tank.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Wow, surprised to see PC behind ps4 and xb1. Also surprised to see ps4 at almost double pc. I always thought BF was more of a PC franchise but I guess the times have changed and the PS4 user base is massive.

Machina

Banned
Well deserved. There is plenty yet to work on (bring back the real Conquest) and polishing to do but I'm in love already. I wanna play Deus Ex so bad but BF just won't take its claws out of me. It must be love.

Not liked is probably an understatement. I bought BF4, DA:I and Battlefront all on sale (some huge ones, if I might add) for my PS4 even though my PC could probably run the games multiple times better. I ain't installing Origin here again, not for a long time. I have all the Mass Effect collectors but I'm skipping Andromeda, one of the reasons being Origin.

Uhh, why? Never had an issue with Origin. I only use it to install a game\see a flash of it when a game launches. I get that it isn't Steam..

Blizzard timed the Overwatch Ranked Season 2 to coincide with the open beta release, it definitely affected those PC figures.

Or the other 1000 or so games with large healthy communities on PC. Wouldn't be shocked many PC gamers assume it's a paid early access as well or that the beta even started. There are just far too many options on PC.

Blam

uh, no it won't.

DICE made Battlefield games always have a big community, BF1 will be no exception.

Yeah I'm not sure about that. Beta got extremely stale quick. (I know it was one map) But frankly if the beta can't keep me enjoying it on one map the entire time then the games gonna be dead on PC for fucking sure.

Its a no brainer

Because Sony shutdown EA when they asked for EA Access, and they've already got Activision.

Pretty sure EA is with Microsoft.

Top Bottom