• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BF1942 Fans you need to get....

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
The multiplayer demo for Joint Operations : Typhoon Rising

It's along the same lines as BF1942 but more...hard to explain.

HUGE maps, lots of people (servers can have 100) and nice eye candy.

It is DAMN hard though...but fun!

Yah, I downloaded the demo. Doesn't work for me though, I guess Radeon 8500 Graphics cards are not suitable for this game -- it crashes immedietely after loading the level up..

How are the vehicles? I'm mainly concerned with the helicopters... do they control well? And is the game more geared towards realism or is it an Arcade game like BF1942?

Also, how are the sniper rifles?

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
Vehicles : Jeeps, dune buggy, Boats, Trucks, and a Helicopter is all I have driven. There are multiple spots to sit in them like BF, and you can easily control them. I haven't figured out how to go 3rd person on them yet though...I don't drive well first person. The driving ones control fine, although they start and stop really fast which feels very unrealistic. The choper was a snap to fly...or at least get off the ground....so not a flight simulator style of flying. Seemed like anyone could master it after time. Already some great flyers.

Realism : Seems like the style is mixed. The maps and commands and communications feel very authentic in a lot of ways. Weapons look and sound ok, still need some tweaking there though. So I'd have to say it looks realistic but plays more arcadey...if you know what I mean. There seems to be a ton of extra stuff in there for the military geek...but I don't know any of that crap and I have no problem getting into the game. So it's like BF but with more style.

Snipers : I like it so far, tons of brush for you to hide in, and the snipers have camouflage that hides them pretty good. I have yet to see a sniper other than when they are running from point to point. I'll get a screenshop of myself hiding in the brush so you can see.

pestul

Very clunky physics.. no thanks. I must say however, sniping a chopper pilot in midflight and watching the occupants crash to their doom is mighty hilarious. :D

Slo

Mr Pockets said:
Depends, what did you hate about it?

I hated the fact that there were always about 100 people bunny hopping around the helipad waiting for one of two choppers to come and ferry ~8 passagers across the map. I hated missing chopper rides TIME after TIME because I was the 9th guy to the helipad. I hated that if you actually got a chopper ride to the oppostion base, you could pick off 15 bunny hoppers before they noticed they were being shot at. I hated that the interface barely worked, and I couldn't reset my spawn point. I hated the 2001 graphics and the 1999 physics.

Basically, there wasn't too much to like. So what's better now?

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
Slo said:
I hated the fact that there were always about 100 people bunny hopping around the helipad waiting for one of two choppers to come and ferry ~8 passagers across the map. I hated missing chopper rides TIME after TIME because I was the 9th guy to the helipad. I hated that if you actually got a chopper ride to the oppostion base, you could pick off 15 bunny hoppers before they noticed they were being shot at. I hated that the interface barely worked, and I couldn't reset my spawn point. I hated the 2001 graphics and the 1999 physics.

So you hated it because all you wanted to do was ride the choppers? And becaue a bunch of others seemed to want to as well?

How about using a boat, or a truck, or a jeep, or creeping through the woods on foot? Granted the maps are pretty big for foot travel all the way but only before you secure more spawn points. I hardly see anyone "camping" for choppers at all.

As for the interface not working, not sure what you mean. I have seen people having trouble getting key assignments to work, but if you clear the key then re-assign it it works fine.

As for the graphics, I don't care...they look fine to me for the type of game it is. Besides...if you need better graphics than the above pics to enjoy a game...that is your own issue :D.

Physics, well you win there...not quite right in that department. But hey, we're spoiled by too many physics games ;P

As for the spawn point thing...what part didn't work for you? Space bar is default, otherwise select a new one then hit space bar...maybe it didn't work in last demo???

Slo said:

Thumbs up to that. I was in the orignial beta and totally hated this game. As for the previous post complaining about Slo waiting for a heli, the only maps I ever played forced you to ride the helicopter. I tried walking once and walked for like 15 minutes and was in the middle of no where. You CAN'T walk in a lot of circumstances.

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
Slo said:

The Map in the new demo is all on one island, you don't need helicopters, you can get everywhere in a jeep/dune buggy, or you can run to most places.

The graphics are alot better in the new demo, but it keeps my FPS in the low teens to single digits. (shitty graphic card) :(

The only problem with the game is snipers. Usually at least half of the players in a server are sniping, and it becomes quite annoying trying to get out of your base with 4 guys hiding in trees/brush/vehicles/mountains sniping at you. When you get behind them, and knife em, it's very rewarding though. :)

Slo

Mr Pockets said:
So you hated it because all you wanted to do was ride the choppers? And becaue a bunch of others seemed to want to as well?

How about using a boat, or a truck, or a jeep, or creeping through the woods on foot? Granted the maps are pretty big for foot travel all the way but only before you secure more spawn points. I hardly see anyone "camping" for choppers at all.

As for the interface not working, not sure what you mean. I have seen people having trouble getting key assignments to work, but if you clear the key then re-assign it it works fine.

As for the graphics, I don't care...they look fine to me for the type of game it is. Besides...if you need better graphics than the above pics to enjoy a game...that is your own issue :D.

Physics, well you win there...not quite right in that department. But hey, we're spoiled by too many physics games ;P

As for the spawn point thing...what part didn't work for you? Space bar is default, otherwise select a new one then hit space bar...maybe it didn't work in last demo???

Maybe it was just a horrible map, but the bases were seperated by a rather large body of water and you had no choice but to be ferried across it by a chopper.

Top Bottom