• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Anyone have any good tips on how to Manual? I've been riding my hardtail 29er around a lot more lately and am trying to get some basic techniques down. I can get the front wheel off the ground but not very high. I keep feeling like I'm going to tip over.

There are a ton of videos out there on it, but in short... practice. Also, always cover your back brake.

Unrelated, I hit a 2 minute power record today out of no-where... really, really have no damn idea what's going on with my body at the moment.

I took two full weeks off, and my training volume is next to nothing compared to when I was training for leadville. I've gone from 700-1000 TSS a week, to 300-400!

Ironically, that's off the back of two fairly hard days on the bike, so if anything, I'm more worn out than I have been.

senahorse

New bike get, my first road bike :D

Crappy pic, will get a better one outside when I can ride it (crappy weather here at the moment)

IMG_0634.HEIC.jpg

It's a Specialized Roubaix Expert 2017, 2018 models are filtering out now but I got a deal I was happy with on this. New Kask Mojito helmet as well, can't wait to ride it.

Fucksake. My pedal wont go in and if I try to force it, it's ripping apart the metal inside the crank arm.

No idea what I can do about that now. Have my event on Saturday and I sure as shit can't afford to just throw on another XT / XTR crank.

Yeah, I've tried that and it goes in fine, but not far enough to take care of the completely fucked entry. I need a pedal with a strangely long thread. :(

Mascot

Find a friendly engineering workshop with a suitable tap & die set, or buy an appropriate tap and some cutting paste. Tapping threads in blind holes is easy, repairing existing threads is even easier. Do you know the thread size?

Failing that, use a bolt with the correct thread size (or your pedal) but use cutting paste and a gradual forward/backward rotational insertion. YouTube is probably awash with videos on how to do this. A bolt won't work anywhere nearly as good as a proper thread tap though.

F0427941-01.jpg

HTupolev

Jam a sturdy rod of some kind into the hole, drip some J-B Weld in there, then ride on it using a boot that has a decent-sized channel in the sole between the heel region and front of the foot for pseudo-"retention" to keep from slipping. Splash some tri-flow on the rod if there's too much friction between it and the shoe.

Obviously.

Long term, yeah, there are options... problem is, that doesn't help me right now.

I'm tempted to just take it up and see if someone more mechanically sound can work out a way of getting it fitted. So goddamn frustrating.

Mascot

Long term, yeah, there are options... problem is, that doesn't help me right now.

I'm tempted to just take it up and see if someone more mechanically sound can work out a way of getting it fitted. So goddamn frustrating.

A tap would solve it in under a minute if you can get your hands on one. I've got a set but not the correct size.

Failing that, just brute force the pedal on with a long spanner and a mallet.

I'm waiting to see if the guy that runs the event might have something. He has a ridiculously well stocked workshop so there's a chance.

I don't really want to force it as at that point I'm guaranteed to need a new crank and they're £220 a pop. Not worth it for this event.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Hey guys, I have to questions:

• Is it normal for my performance to drop significantly on wet terrain with road tires?
  • As of lately, I'm feeling pain at my coccyx area when I sit on a regular chair (not my bike), specially when I get up. The pain is mild and very tolerable so far. Should I get worried?

Ty for any feedback!

It's in! \o/

Seems the key must have been getting rid of the metal from where it had got screwed up initially. Now I just need to prep everything else...

Cheers for the advice.

Mascot

It's in! \o/

Seems the key must have been getting rid of the metal from where it had got screwed up initially. Now I just need to prep everything else...

Cheers for the advice.

Lol, I'd assumed you'd already cleared the burrs. I should have mentioned that first.
Good job, glad it's fixed, good luck tomorrow.

Hey guys, I have to questions:

• Is it normal for my performance to drop significantly on wet terrain with road tires?
  • As of lately, I'm feeling pain at my coccyx area when I sit on a regular chair (not my bike), specially when I get up. The pain is mild and very tolerable so far. Should I get worried?

Ty for any feedback!

1. You're probably slower because you're more tense and timid due to unfavorable conditions
2. Go see a doctor

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
1. You're probably slower because you're more tense and timid due to unfavorable conditions
2. Go see a doctor
I would like to, but is hard to do that without an national ID here in Sweden. I will be back in a couple of weeks. I think I should stop ridding my bike until then, but I'm actually more comfortable while riding it than sitting on my ass now :S

New bike get, my first road bike :D

Crappy pic, will get a better one outside when I can ride it (crappy weather here at the moment)

IMG_0634.HEIC.jpg

It's a Specialized Roubaix Expert 2017, 2018 models are filtering out now but I got a deal I was happy with on this. New Kask Mojito helmet as well, can't wait to ride it.

I did a double take because I thought " who is taking pics of my bike."
You will enjoy how smooth the bars feel. No need for gloves to insulate from road buzz. Very happy with mine.

It was actually kinda a crash out of no-where, on flat ground.

Just riding along. Muddy puddle (that was actually a ditch), front wheel gone...
Like, all of it, instantly.

frontieruk

It was actually kinda a crash out of no-where, on flat ground.

Just riding along. Muddy puddle (that was actually a ditch), front wheel gone...
Like, all of it, instantly.

Ouch, that’s why I avoid puddles on roads can never tell if it’s a pot hole :(

Congrats in completing the challenge though time to rest up and heal.

xzoowy

Just bought an indoor trainer (Tacx Neo) and started my training plan on TrainerRoad.

Here is my current pain cave setup in the basement, next to paint containers, solvents and other shit ... but that Mickey Mouse beach towel though.

WNCQz1y.jpg

So I'll post the text for those without Strava...

So that was eventful...

I started at a pace that I was very pleased with, given I'd not been out for a proper ride since Leadville. I wasn't putting myself in the red at all, just working at a heart rate I knew I could sustain.

First issue came quite early on when my front wheel was completely swallowed by a ditch masquerading as a puddle and I hit the ground hard. My front light shot backwards and damaged the screen on the Garmin (thankfully it still worked, I just couldn't see most of the screen). At the same time, my knee hit my left shifter and snapped off one of the paddles.

Wiping myself down I continued on, a little sore but no big issue. Was passing some quick riders and generally feeling good about things.

Heading towards Rhayader I was making good pace when my rear (tubeless) wheel flatted instantly. I had torn a hole in the sidewall which was far too big to fix using the rubber plugs. Thankfully a tube + tyre boot seemed to do the job and I got on with the riding. Annoyingly this had taken a while and I'd been passed by quite a few of the people who I'd passed earlier.

My mojo started to leave me a bit and I noticed it was getting harder to breathe properly. I figured I'd just tweaked a muscle in the crash and just got on with it, though with a much slower pace. It was starting to go dark when I realised that my light wasn't working properly after the crash, and I was having to run it at a much higher setting to actually see anything. This meant that most of the time I was working with virtually no light so I could ensure it lasted the night.

As I went past "The Arch" I noticed that my rear tyre was starting to deflate very slowly, which began a never ending cycle of riding for a short while, then stopping to top it up before it got catastrophically low. It turns out that the tube had pretty much gone completely, but was putting enough pressure on the tyre boot to make some sort of hybrid tubeless system. This made for a VERY long run to the finish.

To add to the misery, I lost the ability to change up smoothly on the rear cog... the only way I could get it to work was by changing gear, then pedalling backwards before pedalling forwards again. No idea why this worked, but it was effective (if annoying).

So yeah... turns out I'd broken my rib in the crash earlier in the day (now medicating with alcohol), which explains the struggle to breathe.

Still, can't complain; I got around in sub 24 hours, which was all I really wanted to do in the first place.

Edit - Oh god, I know where it all went wrong. I didn't lose any rear lights this time. I ALWAYS lose a rear light... maybe that's my penance for a damage / mechanical free ride?!?

https://www.strava.com/activities/1232152405

No, I'd very much notice that.

It's just the usual thing with ribs expanding and putting pressure on the rib cage. You start automatically breathing shallower to avoid the pain (one thing the doctors tell you that you have to do is take full breaths so as to reduce the chance of lung infections... it sucks).

...and yeah, I've had a few of these. :(

Edit - Sneaky stealth edit!

Mascot

Oof!

I went for a short 16-miler today in the ridiculous October warmth to test my gammy knee and came through unscathed. No flats, no damaged hardware, no broken ribs.

Thoroughly enjoyed it!

Yeah, risk of that is why I now wear a rib protector on downhill days. My lower ribs are extremely weak from previous breaks and I just can't risk puncturing a lung if one goes in a big way.

Oof!

I went for a short 16-miler today in the ridiculous October warmth to test my gammy knee and came through unscathed. No flats, no damaged hardware, no broken ribs.

Thoroughly enjoyed it!

Tomorrow might have been more entertaining though... :p

senahorse

I did a double take because I thought " who is taking pics of my bike."
You will enjoy how smooth the bars feel. No need for gloves to insulate from road buzz. Very happy with mine.

And of course since posting this it has rained every day, managed one short (~15km) ride. But today the clouds have cleared and the sky is blue and I have a day off work :D

We got a new set of wheels for my partner also, a ruby comp:

Picked up a new pair of shoes as well, I know it's a cardinal sin but I prefer SPDs, it helps that these look like road shoes apart from a few distinctive markers.

Incredibly stiff compared to my old Shimanos, you can really feel the difference in the pedal stroke. One thing I do hate about them, the Sidi innersoles are garbage, at least with my feet, so have some Superfeet coming in the mail.

Fonds

So I'll go right ahead and get your opinions on entry level carbon wheels.

I'm looking to get an upgrade for my Canyon Endurace CF, which came with aluminium Mavic Aksiums.

Those wheels are clearly one of the things I'd like to upgrade.

I've been looking at Fulcrum Quattro Racing Carbons

and Mavic Cosmic Pro Carbons.

Both are below the 1000 euro mark and have been well received.
The Fulcrums are a bit more allround, lower rim. The Mavics are a bit more aero.

Anyone have experience with these wheels or have other alternatives to consider?

Top Bottom