• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Big Baller Brand Introduces its first signature shoe: The ZO2 Prime, starts at $495

Dude Abides

Banned
If Lavar wasn't an idiot he'd have Lonzo, the one who actually matters for the brand's success, do all these shows and Lavar would step back, but I guess he's too much of a media attention whore for that.

Madness

That's not the point. You don't threaten people, accidentally or otherwise. If that's what you mean, then fucking say that.

He's a fucking idiot and his brand is shit.

Where is the fucking 'threat'. You'll get what's coming to you? Really? Anyone can tell he meant that all her comments on his parenting skills, brand, will come back to bit her in the ass, especially if Lonzo goes top 2 and actually goes to the Lakers which he is now predicted to. The fact you think he threatened her is exactly the point. Big black guy says 'you'll get what's coming to you' while he is ignoring whst you are saying, not paying attention means he is about to assault her right? If Lavar said what goes around comes around she'd probably say the same thing.

If Lavar wasn't an idiot he'd have Lonzo, the one who actually matters for the brand's success, do all these shows and Lavar would step back, but I guess he's too much of a media attention whore for that.

Don't know where you guys are getting that the guy is an idiot. He was the top story on ESPN during the NBA playoffs when he announced Lonzo's new shoes and price, we are talking about him now, he is perhaps the most famous dad in sports right now, interviews on all major sports. Whether he is mocked or laughed at is irrelevant. In less than 2 years, he and his family now have millions of followers on social media, he has orchestrated a very careful natrative of his family amd UCLA.

I used to think otherwise too, but when Nike executives call you the worst thing to happen to basketball in the last 100 years even more than a Donald Sterling who was a racist piece of shit owner who got his team taken, when people bring you up almost daily on shows, every major publication was talking about his interview with Colin Cowherd and Kristine Leahy. It is interesting to see people of colour view Lavar one way, while white people view him another in this situation.

Lonzo is almost certainly going to the Lakers. Lavar will be front and center draft day. Opening day NBA, the first match between Lonzo and Lebron or Lonzo and Curry, there will be Lavar dominating the headlines. That is media presence you cannot buy.

Dude Abides

Banned
Where is the fucking 'threat'. You'll get what's coming to you? Really? Anyone can tell he meant that all her comments on his parenting skills, brand, will come back to bit her in the ass, especially if Lonzo goes top 2 and actually goes to the Lakers which he is now predicted to. The fact you think he threatened her is exactly the point. Big black guy says 'you'll get what's coming to you' while he is ignoring whst you are saying, not paying attention means he is about to assault her right? If Lavar said what goes around comes around she'd probably say the same thing.

Don't know where you guys are getting that the guy is an idiot. He was the top story on ESPN during the NBA playoffs when he announced Lonzo's new shoes and price, we are talking about him now, he is perhaps the most famous dad in sports right now, interviews on all major sports. Whether he is mocked or laughed at is irrelevant. In less than 2 years, he and his family now have millions of followers on social media, he has orchestrated a very careful natrative of his family amd UCLA.

I used to think otherwise too, but when Nike executives call you the worst thing to happen to basketball in the last 100 years even more than a Donald Sterling who was a racist piece of shit owner who got his team taken, when people bring you up almost daily on shows, every major publication was talking about his interview with Colin Cowherd and Kristine Leahy. It is interesting to see people of colour view Lavar one way, while white people view him another in this situation.

Lonzo is almost certainly going to the Lakers. Lavar will be front and center draft day. Opening day NBA, the first match between Lonzo and Lebron or Lonzo and Curry, there will be Lavar dominating the headlines. That is media presence you cannot buy.

You realize it's going to be Lonzo, not Lavar, who is actually going to be playing, right? His success and visibility is what matters, not Lavar and his struggle brand. "Media presence you can't buy" for Lavar's dumb media feuds doesn't help Lonzo any.

Fame isn't a currency you can just cash in any day to a big payday. Infamy and controversy can make you unemployable, especially in sports and marketing. Or have we already forgotten what happened to Colin Kaepernick?

Carefully crafted narrative? Everyone who's tuning into this guy has heard stories about how he was an ass to the coach at Chino Hills, he was a racist ass to his son's teammates at UCLA, he's an ass to NBA vets (both active and retired), he's an ass to interviewers. LeBron James and Kevin Durant have "carefully crafted" public personas. The Kardashians have carefully crafted public personas. Lavar isn't the first person to raise multiple athletically talented stars, but he is the most outspoken dickhead.

Lonzo will almost certainly go to the Lakers. He'll have a target on his back on day one, as every other player in the league will want to give his father a nice big piece of humble pie. The Lakers will almost certainly be a bottom 10 team again, so we'll see how well he does selling off-brand threads to a disinterested fanbase in the most image-conscious city in America, while his dad feuds with Laker legends Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant, and Shaquille O'Neal. Good luck with that.

I've not seen one person of color defend what Lavar Ball has said about Lebron James' son, defend the pricing of his sneakers, defend him snubbing tens of millions of dollars of guaranteed money to make thousands off his own stuff. All this, and we're spending more time talking about him than his son. That's not how you build a brand. He's not the talent here. Lonzo is the product. The product is already poised to make millions, congratulations, now try your best not to screw it up.

Edit: And none of this will mean anything if Lonzo washes out of the league in 3 years.

Durant lost his smile when the OKC fans didn't cheer him this year.

He also apologized for/softened those comments a few days later.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well

So, how does his current media presence benefit him, his brand, or his son?

Simply being talked about isn't worth 2 pennies.

If Lonzo ends up being a super star, on the floor, no one is going to acknowledge Lavar's current media presence as having contributed in any way.

If BBB blows up on the back of Lonzo's game, that too will be off of Lonzo's back, not Lavar's poor interview skills.

For some reason, the video highlights of his AAU team's 50 point loss to the Compton Magic came up in my YouTube recommendations yesterday when I was laying in bed, so I watched it.

Man, high school ball is ugly.

I noticed kids on the other team were jawing at and shoving LaMelo at every opportunity. He got slapped in the face during the first play of the game. Stuff like that happens in any match, but the highlights made me wonder if they were targeting him specifically because of his notoriety. You've already had current NBA players menacingly say they can't wait to go up against Lonzo next year.

I noticed kids on the other team were jawing at and shoving LaMelo at every opportunity. He got slapped in the face during the first play of the game. Stuff like that happens in any match, but the highlights made me wonder if they were targeting him specifically because of his notoriety. You've already had current NBA players menacingly say they can't wait to go up against Lonzo next year.

What did you expect? All 3 brothers got huge targets painted on their backs, of course the other team would rough him up.

Lakers vs Cavs next season will be insane after all the trash Lavar talked about Lebron ,Kyrie and their families.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Not a big fan of Lavar, but Leahy crossed the line with personal attacks on Lavar and parenting.

She tried to hot take and crossed the line.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Look.. I'm not endorsing this behavior in any way, buuuuut... that was mild as fuck compared to some of my old coaches. With one, we could be up 10 and he'd still curse us out. To this day I still consider him a good coach all things considered.

Again though, I'm not going to endorse that behavior. There's better ways to inspire and teach.

Dude Abides

Banned
Yeah that's daily typical coaching when the team's playing shitty. I got a lot worse.

No kid should want to play on any team with one of Lavar's kids with Lavar as coach though, unless they like standing around watching his kid jack 3s.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Don't know where you guys are getting that the guy is an idiot. interesting to see people of colour view Lavar one way, while white people view him another in this situation.

This argument is stupid as fuck.

Isis has a higher media presence. So does Donald Trump and so did DeLorean.

I'll make you a deal. Meet you in this thread in two years and I'll give you a hundred bucks if this idiot is a billionaire and I'll wear a "racist" hat for a day.

You honestly think all people of color think he's smart? Or all white people think he's dumb? Get a grip.

Risible

Just watched the highlights versus Compton and daaaamn. Also, Compton was like "We need one white guy for the team, lets go find the whitest guy we can."

Also, Compton was like "We need one white guy for the team, lets go find the whitest guy we can."

This was in the back of my mind whenever the white kid showed up for the whole video.

Then at the end, when he was on a fastbreak with an open layup and dedcided to pause, wait, and kick it back to the trailing guy who had a defender on him for a contested layup, it was obvious that he knew his role.

FZZ

Banned
Yeah that's daily typical coaching when the team's playing shitty. I got a lot worse.

No kid should want to play on any team with one of Lavar's kids with Lavar as coach though, unless they like standing around watching his kid jack 3s.

Nah he was yelling at LaMelo for not passing and going for dumb shots

dude is actually pretty objective, seen highlights for other games their AAU team has played as well and anytime LaMelo does hero ball shit he doesn't approve

Madness

This argument is stupid as fuck.

Isis has a higher media presence. So does Donald Trump and so did DeLorean.

I'll make you a deal. Meet you in this thread in two years and I'll give you a hundred bucks if this idiot is a billionaire and I'll wear a "racist" hat for a day.

You honestly think all people of color think he's smart? Or all white people think he's dumb? Get a grip.

What is this anger for Frank? I never said he would be a billionaire, or anything. I am calling out the sheer vitriol this man gets. Nike calls him the worst thing to happen to basketball in 100 years? Why? Because he didn't want to sign with them and instead start his own business out of his garage? You think he is worse than a Donald Sterling?

Also, I meant he isn't an idiot. He knows what he does. That is his shtick and persona. It is why a no name college athlete living in Chino Hills, CA is on more sports programs than actual athletes. He has become more famous than Tiger's dad, Serena and Venus' dad. His son is going to be selected the Lakers as a 2nd overall draft pick. He will be interviewed the day his son plays against Steph and Lebron. He has guaranteed his other 2 sons will probably play for UCLA as well.

And yes, I am seeing people call him dangerous, a threat, all from the Kristine Leahy incident. And so far, I have seen men and women of colour respond one way, and white men and women respond the other to the incident. That was my point. 2 years from now, he will probably stillbe struggling with his business, and his kid is one ankle or knee injury from the end of his career. We have seen more talented players than Lonzo be a bust. I hated Lavar too, but I also think a lot of his hate is unwarranted. At the end of the day, he is a helicopter parent no different than thousands of other kids. More kids coild actually have used a father like him.

They are setting this kid up to fail horribly by allowing his dad and all this media on him.

But hey at least hell make millions

What will determine whether he fails or not will be his basketball ability, not how much the hot take machine talks about his dad. Don't buy into that kind of bullshit narrative.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
What is this anger for Frank? I never said he would be a billionaire, or anything. I am calling out the sheer vitriol this man gets. Nike calls him the worst thing to happen to basketball in 100 years? Why? Because he didn't want to sign with them and instead start his own business out of his garage? You think he is worse than a Donald Sterling?

Also, I meant he isn't an idiot. He knows what he does. That is his shtick and persona. It is why a no name college athlete living in Chino Hills, CA is on more sports programs than actual athletes. He has become more famous than Tiger's dad, Serena and Venus' dad. His son is going to be selected the Lakers as a 2nd overall draft pick. He will be interviewed the day his son plays against Steph and Lebron. He has guaranteed his other 2 sons will probably play for UCLA as well.

And yes, I am seeing people call him dangerous, a threat, all from the Kristine Leahy incident. And so far, I have seen men and women of colour respond one way, and white men and women respond the other to the incident. That was my point. 2 years from now, he will probably stillbe struggling with his business, and his kid is one ankle or knee injury from the end of his career. We have seen more talented players than Lonzo be a bust. I hated Lavar too, but I also think a lot of his hate is unwarranted. At the end of the day, he is a helicopter parent no different than thousands of other kids. More kids coild actually have used a father like him.

I just think he's dumb and hurting his son's reputation. More people are talking about his dad and stupid shoes than his (their) skills. He's a stage mom, effectively, and soaking up the limelight.

But you're right. In the grand scheme of things, I shouldn't let it grind my gears, but I hate seeing kids get ruined or slighted by their parents' behaviors.

Big Blue

I just think he's dumb and hurting his son's reputation. More people are talking about his dad and stupid shoes than his (their) skills. He's a stage mom, effectively, and soaking up the limelight.

But you're right. In the grand scheme of things, I shouldn't let it grind my gears, but I hate seeing kids get ruined or slighted by their parents' behaviors.

Also fame and or notoriety does not equal sales. Think about the countless failed celebrity fashion lines.

Top Bottom