• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Big Twitch streamer: "Lurking in the chat is the same as pirating movies."

mechphree

I will never understand people who waste their precious free time watching other people play games. Looking at combo tutorials in fighting games is one thing. Looking at other people play through entire games seems like the opposite of what I like the most about gaming: having the player decide what to do. It is primarily what sets it apart from other more passive forms of entertainment (movies, TV, etc).

To each their own. Me personally, I like watching some Hearthstone streams to see what types of strategies other people use during their battles. I also like watching some fighting game streams because they are entertaining as fuck to watch even if I don't know what the hell shenanigans or half frame kicks are.

I don't ever watch it for the personality and if the the personality is too obnoxious or loud or annoying I'll just watch some one else.

I disagree. There's numerous upon numerous people streaming, anyone jackhole with a PS4 can do it. It's not hard to stream and play games, and anyone on gaf probably has the credentials to just stream. It's the making a living on it that's difficult, and the golden goose that everyone chases.

You are really peddling this argument even though it's pretty clear WE'RE ALL TALKING ABOUT MAKING MONEY FROM STREAMING?

I don't get it.

Kasumin

I will never understand people who waste their precious free time watching other people play games. Looking at combo tutorials in fighting games is one thing. Looking at other people play through entire games seems like the opposite of what I like the most about gaming: having the player decide what to do. It is primarily what sets it apart from other more passive forms of entertainment (movies, TV, etc).

There's a lot of games I'm not very good at but am still interested in seeing.

For the most part, though, I enjoy watching speedrunners because they know a ton about games. I've learned quite a bit about games I've been playing and replaying since I was a kid just by watching them develop speed run routes and/or abuse glitches.

Renekton

In that case you will never understand why people watch NBA, NFL or BPL.

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

He should be happy there are enough people in the world who find what he does worth paying for.
If everyone was like me he would be job junting first thing in the morning.

That's why I stick to longplays.

By the way, is there some good "silent" (non person-focused) streamers, who just... stream games and nothing more? Well, at least without awful overlays/chat interactivity/etc.
At the very least, that's what I do when I stream on occasion from my PS4. I never use a mic or camera or anything. I just play the game so people can see what it's like. And that's the kind of steam I prefer to watch. But I only ever watch to get informed on games I'm on the fence about, never as entertainment in itself, so anything more than a streamer answering the occasional question is too bothersome for me.

he has to remember he started with NOTHING, no subs no donations, so he should be THANKING these folks for coming to view his stream

Zemm

I"m new to the whole streaming thing and mostly just browse on PS4, but the streams that try to be too "professional" are the ones I find the most annoying. The entire time all you hear is:
"CornyDog445 thanks for the follow man"
*fist bump or some other weird hand motion*
"What's up QuailManX99?"
"AnalQueen77 thanks for the follow man"
*fist bump or some other weird hand motion*

It's caused me to purposely seek out streams that have like 5 or 6 viewers because they are usually people actually just streaming and talking about the game and not trying to start up some "NASTY RON NATION" subscription service or whatever other bullshit you see from people trying to make a living out of this.

Fixed it for manvsgame. A streamer that went from top tier to shit tier so fast doing stuff like this, last time I saw his stream it was so fucking painful, pausing the game for every sub/donation, took him about an hour to do what should have taken 10 minutes max.

MANvsGAME's stream is completely unwatchable now due to all that shit. It's nothing but sub and donation pop-ups and him using that annoying ass voice modifier to scream in it every time someone does something.

I tried watching Boogie2988 stream some game one night and it was nothing but constant donations with a pop-up that took 25% of the screen. Turned it off after 5 minutes.

I've been tempted to get into streaming, but a combination of competition and all the BS behind the scenes (And even in-front of the scenes, lol) is really making me wary.

SmugFox

This is probably a dumb question, but is there any way of tracking just how much money some of these top streamers make a day? I'm guessing the answer is just tallying the amount by watching their stream.

Kibbles

The real problem with this streamer's statement is that it's specifically that he's saying "people who lurk without subbing" instead of directing it at people who watch the stream with adblock on (which, if you have a sub button, you're a Twitch partner, meaning you get paid ad revenue.) is absolutely ridiculous. Directing it at everyone who doesn't sub?

Come on.
I wouldn't mind dedicated ad breaks but since they come up randomly during intense gameplay-I use it, whoops.

Effect

MANvsGAME's stream is completely unwatchable now due to all that shit. It's nothing but sub and donation pop-ups and him using that annoying ass voice modifier to scream in it every time someone does something.

I tried watching Boogie2988 stream some game one night and it was nothing but constant donations with a pop-up that took 25% of the screen. Turned it off after 5 minutes.
One has to wonder why people are even donating. It can't be because of what is being played or the interaction since so much time its taken up by this stuff.

I can't stand going to channels in general that have large number of watchers and subscriptions are the primary goal. It then also gets to the point where the streamer might only ever acknowledges those that have subbed and even then I see a lot of those same subscribers just outright ignored in favor of the people that are sending in donations! of $20, $30, $100, etc dollars.

A lot of the time it's really no different then the sex webcam sites. From the streamer trying to get as much money out the watchers as they can to those watching being so easily parted from their money. I won't say they're being taken advantage of as no one is tricking them into giving their money away. The same practices are put into play I think.

I wouldn't mind dedicated ad breaks but since they come up randomly during intense gameplay-I use it, whoops.

They don't come up randomly. The streamer always dictates when ads come on. Simply don't watch the streamers who do bullshit like that. Don't punish everyone by keeping adblocker on the whole site. I have adblock disabled for Twitch and I hardly even notice.

This is probably a dumb question, but is there any way of tracking just how much money some of these top streamers make a day? I'm guessing the answer is just tallying the amount by watching their stream.

One day about a year ago, Siglemic was doing a Super Mario 64 24-hour stream. He made over $3,000 in donations in that 24-hour period.

Lmao..some of these streamers act like they're famous celebs.

yeah.. should i be able to name a streamer at this point? is it that popular, should i know at least one? because i swear i'll never know one by name. zero interest until the end of time lol.

i lie, i do sometimes enjoy watching streams on my PS4. some dude who was apparently ranked #1 in the world with chopper kills in BF4... my god he was amazing, flying into buildings and dodging shit from every direction, always getting a 20+ kill streak :O just legit amazing skills.

http://www.twitch.tv/summit1g/v/3890361?t=6015s (link might not work yet - it's 1 hour and 40 minutes in)

Is this where we are at now? I'm completly fine with people donating a bunch of money. Why not? I'm also not the one to judge. What frustrates me is how this started to affect almost every stream. Even the smaller channels with 10 viewers have their "sub goal" displayed. Oh and annoying pop ups, sounds and all that. Don't get me wrong. People being able to live from streaming is a very cool thing and I'm not taking their time for granted. I subbed/donated here and there to support both some smaller channels and twich in the past, but finding those channels is getting more and more rare by the day - at least for me.

My worst experience happened with DA:I. Some people unlocked it early and I wanted to get some PC impressions. After switching through countless channels I find some guy who entered a house, walked up to the quest npc and started to thank people from his chat. Then he looked back at the game, but he already forgot what he was trying to do in there. So he left the building. Just to look at the chat. Then he opened his map and thanked some more people ... you can guess where this is going.

Well if its any consolation my channel is nothing like that :)

I stream whenever I'm on, sometimes im super chatty other times I am just there to play games and have other people along for the ride.

I have all the "requirements" awebsite and an elgato/ pc streaming but I only get at most 10 ish viewers. Tis a shame when people who have found that secret sauce complain, as it makes us streamers not doing it for monetary purposes fall further on the spectrum of potential viewers.

Thats my two cents.

I don't begin to understand any of this. Isn't the person who is streaming this content really the person who is most akin to a pirate? Or, what am I missing? You kids and your Twitch.

Kyne

Summit (the streamer in the OP) makes over 40k a month.

A while back there was some ridiculous contest of who could donate the most within the time limit. He made $25,000 in an hour.

Summit (the streamer in the OP) makes over 40k a month.

A while back there was some ridiculous contest of who could donate the most within the time limit. He made $25,000 in an hour.

you see this offends me, there shouldn't be contests like that unless he streams himself handing the actual amount or wiring the amount directly to a charity.

Mashing

As someone who has a real job, if I want to watch twitch streams without paying any thing, then that is my prerogative. I only donate for worth causes (charity). If they don't like it they can lock their channel or go get actual jobs where you don't have to rely on donations to survive.

What I think will eventually happen though is that all the annoying sub and donation pop-ups are going to drive their audience away. And good thing, that shit doesn't belong anywhere.

Kyne

you see this offends me, there shouldn't be contests like that unless he streams himself handing the actual amount or wiring the amount directly to a charity.

he's sort of douchey, but here's the thing.. it's not like he set up the contest.

these people WANT to give him money. That 'contest' was crowd driven. He didn't even ask for it.

he's making over half a million dollars a year without even trying. Other celebrities have said worse things to their fans. I doubt he cares what people say about him.

he's sort of douchey, but here's the thing.. it's not like he set up the contest.

these people WANT to give him money. That 'contest' was crowd driven. He didn't even ask for it.

he's making over half a million dollars a year without even trying. Other celebrities have said worse things to their fans. I doubt he cares what people say about him.

it kind of seems the guys who are super douchey get the most donations, it's fascinating to me how people donate massive amounts, I get it if its 2-5 dollars and you think the dude is cool but it's constant.

It ranges from people who want to show youtube links (this one is funny because alot of the time they say that waste time but in reality the donations or the extreme sub celebration stuff waste the most time)

also ranges from people wanting to give tips, people suggesting games to play..its pretty crazy but its whatever people can do what they want with their money.

I know that its the same when I watch angry joe's stream ( I do sub to him though)

Crazy times!

Tango101

Neo Member
Man so much misinformation going on in this thread. I've been watching Summit (the streamer in question) for over a year now. At first I didn't get the whole twitch thing either, but over time it's grown on me. The whole "LOL why would you waste time watching someone playing games" can be legitimate, but as someone who grew up with an older brother gaming, you start to realize that there is a social aspect of gaming that can be entertaining even if you dont have a controller/mouse in hand. From hearing team chatter in competitive e-sports to watching a group of friends role-play in h1z1, there can be entertainment from just kicking back and watching your favorite stream.

Now onto Summit. No he doesn't have daily goals, no he doesn't ask for donations, no he doesn't have any donation contests for top donator of the day. He rarely does any of that shit. He simply just streams 8 (usually more) hours a day, 6 days a week. He has TONS of subs now, however he's been streaming since the early days where there was no support to begin with. Yes he's making bank now, but it took years of grinding to get him there. He's providing entertainment and people are simply reward him with whatever amount of money they want to provide.

Smash88

Banned
They are becoming the equivalent of a "cam girl" website. Just wait till they start a "private" option. I wonder how much we have to donate to get one of these people to put a shoe on their head

Who says it hasn't already happened. In the past year or so there have been an increasing amount of "cam girls/guys" (moreso girls) who just come and stream "a game" and the rest is their face.

AzLn4BM.png

I'm just saddened that twitch refuses to do anything about it as it brings in the money, and until shit hits the fan they won't do anything about it.

These are littered all over the site. And yes the bottom right is what she is "playing".

EDIT: Looks like Twitch suspended her stream, but for what reasons I don't know. I've seen Kaceytron with a similar setup and she still streams. I guess the game screen was too small?

Who says it hasn't already happened. In the past year or so there have been an increasing amount of "cam girls/guys" (moreso girls) who just come and stream "a game" and the rest is their face.

AzLn4BM.png

I'm just saddened that twitch refuses to do anything about it as it brings in the money, and until shit hits the fan they won't do anything about it.

These are littered all over the site. And yes the bottom right is what she is "playing".
thata disgusting

Why do people watch these streams why dont they just play the damn game. And you know what its ridiculous how some of these streamers are more money than the people who make these games.

kmg90

I thought twitch added some guidelines that frown upon "cam shot" streams?

I understand they were at best guidelines and not actual changes or additions to the rules and terms of Twitch but at some point they are going to have address the issue as it gets worse.

Smash88

Banned
I thought twitch added some guidelines that frown upon "cam shot" streams?

I understand they were at best guidelines and not actual changes or additions to the rules and terms of Twitch but at some point they are going to have address the issue as it gets worse.

It wasn't so much cam shot, as it was to wear a shirt, and no mid-riff.

Stiler

I can barely stand watching twitch these days.

It sucks but so many of the people I enjoy from youtube (IE Boogie/Angry Joe,j etc) I would love to watch their streams but it just gets soooooooooo annoying whent hey have people donating and they have all the bells and whistles going off with on-screen graphics/sounds and they shout-out the people for donating.

I understand wanting to thank people for helping you and donating, but as a viewer that is really really annoying.

It's like when you're watching a tv show and atheay have the rolling ads at the bottom or pop ups, but now with sound and everything and it keeps constantly coming up.

It just makes it so hard to actually watch/enjoy them playing the game.

I can barely stand watching twitch these days.

It sucks but so many of the people I enjoy from youtube (IE Boogie/Angry Joe,j etc) I would love to watch their streams but it just gets soooooooooo annoying whent hey have people donating and they have all the bells and whistles going off with on-screen graphics/sounds and they shout-out the people for donating.

I understand wanting to thank people for helping you and donating, but as a viewer that is really really annoying.

It's like when you're watching a tv show and atheay have the rolling ads at the bottom or pop ups, but now with sound and everything and it keeps constantly coming up.

It just makes it so hard to actually watch/enjoy them playing the game.

You choose your streamers wisely, I often ignore the first few rows and chose someone with around 50 viewers as they aren't as much bells and whistles.

A good guy to watch for casual streams who interacts with the audience is elitetvgamer

Click here, chances are he is streaming

He plays with his followers often and is only doing this part time.

ironcreed

Banned
LOL is about all I can muster for this one. He should feel fortunate to just be getting enough views to where he is getting paid to sit on his ass and play video games.

Nekofrog

Banned
Twitch is a social experience for some. If you prefer watching a streamer with minimal audience interaction, they're out there.

It's a lot like back when TV was still king. Don't like what's on? Change the channel.

Before Twitch was even Twitch and was still just Justin.TV's gaming directory, there was this one guy who would talk shit and insult everyone who talked in his chat. It was really fascinating.

Edit: I just searched and he's still around 4 years later AND live right now. I wonder if he's mellowed out at all. http://www.twitch.tv/tekker

Twitch is cool, but some channels might as well be a hangout for thirsty dudes. I hope that doesn't overshadow the really cool aspects of the site. Never once felt the desire to part with my money save for charity drives though. Some people just want to be liked I guess, even if it's for a moments acknowledgement online.

Top Bottom