• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite: A Thematic Analysis

Neiteio

So in keeping with "Columbia as a monument to Booker/Comstock's sins." What does the Boxers' Rebellion signify? I don't recall it being mentioned that Booker took part in that.
Booker, as Booker, didn't partake in the Boxer Rebellion, but Booker as Comstock did, causing Columbia to kill scores of Asians, which inflamed the U.S. and became the catalyst for Columbia's secession from the Union.

You can see it as an example of Comstock Booker having no remorse for what he did at Wounded Knee, due to his religious awakening, and him taking his bloodbath to the next level.

brian!

"Comstock represents an America that has forgotten to regret the atrocities of its past. Booker represents an America who has clung to regret and allowed it to consume them. The fact that they inhabit two entirely different parallel universes is no mistake. They reflect the different schools of thought in American politics that are so separated in perspective that they appear to inhabit entirely different worlds."

I really like that, reminds me of Faulkner a little.

While I agree with the imagery of Daisy baptizing herself in Fitzroy's blood I don't really agree with the implication that she feels as if the atrocities she is reacting to justify her actions. We get little insight into Daisy imo: there are tapes where she is a maid, there are tapes where she is bitter, but there are never tapes where she is not in an oppressed position. The significance here for me is that her voice is truncated almost immediately after she appears; Daisy was never in the "winning" position that Comstock was in and was silenced before we could see what that would look like. The guy writes "Rather, Daisy is intended to be another example of how absolving yourself of guilt can come to a destructive outcome.", but I find that pretty problematic even if that is what her function becomes in the game.

Basically even as Daisy and the Vox function as a sacrifice to the game's "larger" themes, it's still a pretty violent way of portraying them.

Top Bottom