• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock Infinite PC Performance Thread

The stu. stu tut stuttering is annoying the hell out of me. I force vsync on and triple buffering through Nvidia Inspector and no dice. I'm flabbergasted. It seems almost all of my games have this jitter. I'm going to turn down some more features.

The stu. stu tut stuttering is annoying the hell out of me. I force vsync on and triple buffering through Nvidia Inspector and no dice. I'm flabbergasted. It seems almost all of my games have this jitter. I'm going to turn down some more features.

you try D3DOverriderinstead of NI?

-PXG-

This may sound dumb, but this happens to me sometimes.

Updating your drivers will disable SLI. Just remember to turn it back on.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
How does this run on an E8500 and GTX285?

More like Bioshock 1 or 2? The first run great most of the time, the second not so much, for no reason.

Just curious if it's even worth trying before I build the new PC which should be any day now, maybe even tomorrow.
Well, it actually runs pretty good with good enough settings at 720p. Usually over 30 fps outside the loading hitches. The intro and other calm parts were often 75 fps locked but they're not exactly the most taxing. I suppose performance is closer to Bioshock 2, a little more stable, and a lot more justified with how the game looks I guess. Either way it's playable while looking nice, perhaps it can be improved by reducing settings further. I'd paste a benchmark but I don't understand how to import it in Open Office...

Edit: maybe this will do... Dunno how it got that high max fps when it was vsynced through the nvidia control panel.

imAPavBzcPVkQ.jpg

The min fps was mostly those hitches.

For settings it's at 720p resolution and then:
Aa off
Texture detail High
Texture filtering High
Dynamic shadows High
Postprocessing Normal
Light shafts On
Ao Off
Object lod High
Lock framerate Off

Not bad for this PC I'd say. Of course it wasn't going to run smooth like DmC! And I have room for reductions.

Edit: reducing all the High settings above to Medium gives about 10 extra average fps in each instance where they didn't stay near the vsync limit previously, it still looks pretty damn good too. It definitely seems to be a decently optimized game, so far.

The readme for SweetFX mentions hitting the wrench and checking "Enable compatibility with modified Direct3D runtime libraries" for compatibility with D3D, but hitting the wrench gives me no such option. . .

pleunv

Also affected by the stutter, even though it's averaging ~50FPS on High. Sort of the same behaviour I have in Most Wanted (even post-patch). Were there any solutions for that? 460GTX.

BraXzy

dmr87

I'm running it maxed out at 1440p on 2x GTX 670s, the random stutter has to be that I'm running out of memory since I'm only on 2GB, 1080p has no problems. I'm at about 50-70% on each GPU.

The trick I use to eliminate input lag and still having V-sync on is capping the framerate just below 60.

XEngine.ini

bSmoothFrameRate=TRUE
MaxSmoothedFrameRate=59
Lock framerate ingame

And disable these when you are going in and out the game to fiddle, annoying intros. Just put a dot before the line to disable.

XEngine.ini

'StartupMovies=2KLogoSweep720p2997
'StartupMovies=IrrationalLogoTest
'StartupMovies=UE3AnimatedLogo_ProRes
'StartupMovies=AMDLogo720p

Using a geforce 400 or 500 series GPU? Did you see green squares on screen during the crash? If so, just use msi afterburner and increase the core voltage on your gpu.

Nah, 600. It looked like a regular crash. Froze and then Bioshock stopped working.

Hasn't happened again after playing for another half hour so I'm hoping it was a one off type of thing.

knitoe

I have to wait for my retail copy to arrive, but anyone running Titan(s)? 1440p? What's your fps? Ram usage? Wondering if people's stuttering are cause by hitting the ram limit, like in Skyrim with mods.

Perhaps it is too early to be asking this question and I apologize if it has been asked before. Would I get a noticeably better experience with this game on an Alienware X51 than on a 360?

ruxtpin

Banned
I'm building a new PC...

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770k Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo)
RAM: Corsaire Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB)
GPU: ASUS GTX680 w/ 4GB
Storage: 256GB SSD + 1TB Standard HD

Case and MoBo aside... Would I be able to run the game on it's highest settings with the above hardware?

neoism

anyone playing on an non SP1 machine.... wonder if that would matter or not... so scard to pull the trigger. and it not work.... :/

tborsje

Ahhhhhhhh the stuttering! This game must eat VRAM for breakfast...

Running at 1080p with all settings a mix of high and ultra, vsynced via D3Doverrider. Very smooth at rendering outside areas, but as soon as the engine has to render a new scene there's a solid 2-5 seconds of extreme stuttering.

GTX570 (.22 drivers) & C2Q@3.4GHz

Biggzy

I'm building a new PC...

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770k Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo)
RAM: Corsaire Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB)
GPU: ASUS GTX680 w/ 4GB
Storage: 256GB SSD + 1TB Standard HD

Case and MoBo aside... Would I be able to run the game on it's highest settings with the above hardware?

Are you serious? Of course you will be able to max out the game lol.

ruxtpin

Banned
Are you serious? Of course you will be able to max out the game lol.

Hey! The last PC I built was when I graduated high-school in 2002. After that turned into a dinosaur after a couple of year I transitioned to consoles. Figured it was finally time to jump back into the PC pool.

neoism

Hey! The last PC I built was when I graduated high-school in 2002. After that turned into a dinosaur after a couple of year I transitioned to consoles. Figured it was finally time to jump back into the PC pool.

lol yeah your system is insane the 16gb of ram is overkill though....

DLing now... :/ damn I really want to play this... crosses all toes and fingers... my system wont be a bitch.. :/

Zeliard

shawn said 1999 mode... earlier.. not sure if there's a command or tweak though..

You've still got the health and salt bars in 1999 mode, but they're very small (especially if you downsample). It's a very far cry from Far Cry 3 hehehehehehehe

But yes.

Salsa

game unlocked early in latin america, out of fucking nowhere

jVMnWB0ld7f2i.jpg

this lighthouse has a face

anyway:

OC'ed 680, i5 2500k @ 4.5ghz, everything on Ultra + downsampling = constant 60 so far.

Eyothrie

sorry for the quick off topic question.. I've been on Steam for a while now, but this is the first game I preordered. Is the midnight unlocking EST time? I'm REEEEEEALY hoping my game unlocks at 11pm CST where I am.

Spazznid

This game looks far better than anything I was prepared for. In motion, it is simply breathtaking and in big, sky-line battles, it's orgasmic. The level of quality across the entire game is top notch. The only thing I could have fixed so far is the hit to performance in certain areas.

So far, this has been a near perfect game for me.

Top Bottom