• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioware announces Anthem demo release date to February 1.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/09/01/bioware-announces-anthem-demo-release-date

During an Anthem panel at PAX West 2018, Bioware revealed a demo of Anthem will be playable on February 1 for the Xbox One, PS4, and PC.

The early play session is being considered a VIP demo and will be automatically available to EA Access and Origin Access subscribers at both the Basic and Premier tiers. Those who have pre-ordered Anthem by the demo date will also be able to participate.

Bioware also clarified that this is an honest-to-goodness demo -- not a technical test -- though the size or content of the demo was not revealed.

However the developer did mention there will be an undisclosed number of internal alphas and betas between now and February 1, though there are currently no announcements about timing or how to be granted access.

Related

Last edited:

Michele

you.
Wow, you sure post a lot of threads, and fastly at that.

Anyways, it's really nice of them to do a demo. Maybe some feedback?

A demo is good.

Current Bioware looks to be moving away from games with a narrative focus. This game has shown very little in the way they will be handling the in game narrative. To be honest CDPR looks to be doing more in the narrative based RPG space than modern Bioware.

The trend that Destiny has started can go jump off a bridge.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://www.ea.com/en-gb/games/anth...&utm_medium=social&cid=51063&ts=1537553550610

As we’re clearing our February social calendars for maximum uninterrupted Anthem™ play time, we wanted to make clear exactly how to take advantage of the different opportunities to play before launch.

There are three different ways that you can play Anthem before it launches on February 22, 2019: the VIP demo, Early Access with Origin Access Premier, and the Play First Trial on EA Access and Origin Access Basic.

VIP Demo

The VIP demo kicks off on February 1, 2019 and is open to players who’ve pre-ordered Anthem* as well as current EA Access and Origin Access subscribers**. Both Standard and Legion of Dawn pre-orders receive access to the demo. EA Access and Origin Access members need to have an active subscription at the time of the demo (February 1, 2019) to get access.

Early Access†

Early access begins on February 15, 2019 for Origin Access Premier members. This lets you play the full game a week before launch on PC. Members will have early unlimited access to EA’s full games on PC to play as much as they want five days before launch, as long as they are subscribed to Origin Access Premier. Origin Access Premier members also receive access to 140+ games in The Vault, our library of games that just keeps growing all the time.

Play First Trial

EA Access (for Xbox One) and Origin Access Basic (for PC) members will get to play 10 hours of Anthem as part of the Play First Trial starting on February 15, 2019**. Progress made in the game during the free trial will carry over to the full game if purchased with your 10% member discount or if you become Origin Access Premier member.

Here are also a couple of questions we’ve seen crop up that we’d like to answer directly.

Q: What if I pre-ordered the game but I’m not an EA Access or Origin Access member?
A: If you pre-ordered the Legion of Dawn Edition or the Standard edition, you’ll get access to the February 1 demo. If you pre-ordered but aren’t an EA Access or Origin Access member, you won’t get any Early Access benefits even though you’ll be able to play the full game when it comes out on February 22, 2019.

Q: What do I get as an Origin Access Basic member?
A: If you’re an Origin Access Basic member, you’ll get access to the February 1 demo and the Play First Trial for PC. You’ll get to play 10 hours of Anthem starting on February 15, but you’ll have to purchase the full game when it comes out on February 22, 2019 to play beyond those 10 hours. Upgrading to Origin Access Premier will give you the full game to play as much as you want with Early Access on February 15, 2019.

Pre-order now for VIP access to an Anthem demo.

Keep your eyes open for more as we’re ramping up to Anthem’s release. Make sure to not miss any of it by signing up for the Anthem newsletter for all the latest Anthem news, updates, behind-the-scenes content, offers, and more (including other EA news, products, events, and promotions) by email.

Follow Anthem on Twitter and Instagram.

Anthem launches February 22, 2019 for Xbox One, PlayStation® 4, and PC. Early Access begins on February 15 for Origin Access and EA Access members.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Good on 'em, because this thing really could go either way and I think putting a DEMO rather than a BETA out demonstrates that they're confident in their product. Encourages me to try it more than "we know it's going to be broken as shit but please bugtest it for free".

EDMIX

A demo is good.

Current Bioware looks to be moving away from games with a narrative focus. This game has shown very little in the way they will be handling the in game narrative. To be honest CDPR looks to be doing more in the narrative based RPG space than modern Bioware.

The trend that Destiny has started can go jump off a bridge.

"Current Bioware looks to be moving away from games with a narrative focus" ???

That is only this game, Dragon Age 4 is being worked on. I have no clue why folks hear of a game in a different genre, thus jump to this massive conclusion that said team isn't do "narrative focus" games any more.

That would be like saying Fallout 76 means no Elder Scrolls VI or Starfield or Rage 2 etc. So I've read no where of this team saying all their games going forward would be this......

nowhat

That is only this game, Dragon Age 4 is being worked on. I have no clue why folks hear of a game in a different genre, thus jump to this massive conclusion that said team isn't do "narrative focus" games any more.

That would be like saying Fallout 76 means no Elder Scrolls VI or Starfield or Rage 2 etc. So I've read no where of this team saying all their games going forward would be this......
The thing is, EA has had a terrible fiscal year so far. Anthem may rectify some of it, seeing as it's releasing right at the end of FY2018, but if it doesn't sell well... ME:A didn't bomb completely (sales-wise), but it was enough for BioWare Montreal to be closed/turned into an EA support studio. If Anthem sales fails to satisfy EA execs, will there be a BioWare Edmonton to make DA4?

The comparison to Bethesda doesn't quite work, I don't see Zenimax closing Bethesda Game Studios any time soon, despite poor sales of FO76.

EDMIX

The thing is, EA has had a terrible fiscal year so far. Anthem may rectify some of it, seeing as it's releasing right at the end of FY2018, but if it doesn't sell well... ME:A didn't bomb completely (sales-wise), but it was enough for BioWare Montreal to be closed/turned into an EA support studio. If Anthem sales fails to satisfy EA execs, will there be a BioWare Edmonton to make DA4?

The comparison to Bethesda doesn't quite work, I don't see Zenimax closing Bethesda Game Studios any time soon, despite poor sales of FO76.

" I don't see Zenimax closing Bethesda Game Studios any time soon, despite poor sales of FO76" Ok and I don't see EA closing down Bioware if a new IP doesn't sell well......

Especially since Dragon Age 4 is a completely different IP.

Mikey Jr.

Played a bit of the game.

It's ok...

Nothing great tbh. Certainly no destiny killer if that's its intention.

No PvP reduces the amount of desire I have for this game by a great deal.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
A demo you gotta pay/preorder for, lol. At least if it's not to their liking people will be able to cancel their preorders so that's something but no thanks EA, I won't subscribe or pre-purchase just for a demo.

Last edited:
A demo you gotta pay/preorder for, lol. At least if it's not to their liking people will be able to cancel their preorders so that's something but no thanks EA, I won't subscribe or pre-purchase just for a demo.

No you don't have to pre- order,the demo from feb 1 is for everyone,but there is a demo earlier in January that is for those who pre -order and that one is considered a VIP demo,ugh stupid name

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
No you don't have to pre- order,the demo from feb 1 is for everyone,but there is a demo earlier in January that is for those who pre -order and that one is considered a VIP demo,ugh stupid name
Oh okay that's ok then, I interpreted the OP differently as in, the early play session being the same Feb 1 demo discussed as it didn't mention another date there.

DonF

Cool. I hope they improved performance. The alpha run like shit on ps4 pro. I hope they include more missions too.

So, during the stream yesterday, they mentioned that K/BM had been fixed. Kind of expected, but nice to hear confirmation.

Think I'm gonna buy Access to get the VIP demo and then decide from there.

NickFire

I'm confused. Is the demo being released to everyone or just pre-orders / subscribers? Hoping for everyone because my interest has been rising.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I'm confused. Is the demo being released to everyone or just pre-orders / subscribers? Hoping for everyone because my interest has been rising.
VIP Demo from January 25–27 (Must pre-order or be an EA access subscriber)
Open Demo from February 1–3 (Everyone)

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

I wonder if they're going to frontload all the cool shit like vanilla Destiny 2 did to grab preorders, and then bank on actually giving the game actual substance/balance/endgame later with paid DLC/expansions.

Call me crazy, but I'm going to say yes. In fact, I think The Division 2 is also going to do it.

Mista

Banned
I wonder if they're going to frontload all the cool shit like vanilla Destiny 2 did to grab preorders, and then bank on actually giving the game actual substance/balance/endgame later with paid DLC/expansions.

Call me crazy, but I'm going to say yes. In fact, I think The Division 2 is also going to do it.
Paid DLC coming maybe after a year of release but good thing the game has no MTX apart from cosmetics. Also we’re talking about BioWare here so I have faith in this game more than Division 2

Filben

In the OP should be the notion of a free demo for the public and all players from February 1-3, because my Frist thought was: A demo for pre-orderers? Isn't the point of a demo not to convince me to buy the game?

MadYarpen

Cool, a good way to test my new PC.

So far nothing I have seen made me interested, but I will be happy to try it.

Top Bottom