• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bit old Sonic Advance Java port by Gameloft, looks perfect for 3DS eShop

Just bumped into this, it was apparently made in 2011 by Gameloft for Java, and low and behold, it's native 400x240 (seemingly mainly for the vertical aspect ratio though in most shots, had to really look for these):

iFAue9EyNWXlN.png

iWlinyVbwrHq4.png

ibnmnMAx3986yv.png

ibkW2OwdVTnPJY.png

idXNW74stQuJF.png

ibpKinkBv4A3EE.png

So since we'll be waiting god knows how long for GBA VC support, how about making these kind of games for the eShop as a work around? With native res-support all ready done to boot?

Anyone actually play this? Does it even run well? Any other GBA ports in this format?

And no Sega, you don't need 3D, games can be put out without it (Fractured Soul doesn't support 3D interestingly).

Money on the table guys, and this was supposed to be one of the best ones by Dimps, I think only Rush is in the same tier.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
I just want GBA games period. The Ambassador titles are great and all, but it's been almost two years since then. Where are Astro Boy: Omega Factor, Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, Hamtaro: Ham-Ham Heartbreak, Banjo-Kazooie: Grunty's Revenge, and all the other great GBA titles?

Nintendo can't seem to work out native resolutions. It's disappointing that playing GB/GBA/DSiWare titles on the 3DS is blurry in regular mode.

And please, SEGA, dump Sonic Labyrinth and give us the Sonic Advance trilogy and Sonic Battle.

I just want GBA games period. The Ambassador titles are great and all, but it's been almost two years since then. Where are Astro Boy: Omega Factor, Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, Hamtaro: Ham-Ham Heartbreak, Banjo-Kazooie: Grunty's Revenge, and all the other great GBA titles?

Nintendo can't seem to work out native resolutions. It's disappointing that playing GB/GBA/DSiWare titles on the 3DS is blurry in regular mode.

And please, SEGA, dump Sonic Labyrinth and give us the Sonic Advance trilogy and Sonic Battle.

I want Sonic Battle so badly, that was likely my most played GBA game not Pokemon.

Foffy

Banned
I'd rather have the GBA release of Sonic Advance. :p

Nintendo is surely sitting on that for no good reason...it's been what, nearly two years since they showed GBA support was possible on 3DS?

Takao

Banned

These are licensed properties so it would be a bit difficult.

Sonic Advance was actually a really nice, portable 2D Sonic game
made all the better when you compare it to how bad Sonic 4 turned out
. Maybe Taxman or somebody with his retro engine could do a port of it for mobile/portable devices?

cyborg009

Banned
Sonic Advance was actually a really nice, portable 2D Sonic game
made all the better when you compare it to how bad Sonic 4 turned out
. Maybe Taxman or somebody with his retro engine could do a port of it for mobile/portable devices?

I actually prefer Sonic advance 3 but the advance series has terrible level designs...

I actually prefer Sonic advance 3 but the advance series has terrible level designs...
I wouldn't go as far as saying terrible (though I remember hating the 2nd game, it literally feels like an early alpha of Rush without the boost system to make it work), but they're a bit generic at times, yeah. I feel the first game handles it best by virtue of having to accommodate four fairly different movesets and being built with the same engine S3&K had, so it had to still have some emphasis on regular platforming and momentum control instead of nonstop HOLD DOWN RIGHT AND JUMP OCCASIONAL Advance 2 had going for it.

I don't remember Advance 3 being that bad outside of the pointless team-mechanic. Music was ace in that one too.

The only issue I have is how awkward the ring counter and the single dot where the numbers are. You noticed the giant ring is missing some pixels to make it feel complete, and the dot where the last three numbers are is missing a pixel compared to the colon, this is only really noticeable when zoomed in enough, just a nitpick I'd hope would be fixed if ever ported.

Also, you notice the giant ring and the life icon are redone compared to the original version.

What's odd for the numbers is that they appear to be a bit stretched vertically compared to the original for no reason:

iIMLkVGeq9Zjt.png

iWlinyVbwrHq4.png

ijVMiL6mLAobX.png

I have OCD, can't help it. :(

Edit: There, fixed the two issues.

CDX

I'd honestly just prefer the original Sonic Advance for the GBA. It seems those GBA games might show up on the Wii U VC.

If GBA games never come they should at least try to release this

NrTRBG9.jpg

*sigh* I had such great hopes for the 3DS VC. I thought I'd finally being able to play all the classic gems from all the non-Nintendo handhelds, all on my 3DS

bon

I want them to put the widescreen Sonic CD port on the eShop. That would be cool to have portable.

To be honest with you, the genesis games >> SA series. The SA series is still pretty good though.
I doubt anybody would realistically argue against this. I like them for the most part, but the advance games are still highly derivative of what came beforehand.

Nimajneb

I like the more zoomed out camera in these shots, it looks like you could actually tell where you're going. I've always had a problem with that in Sonic games.

qq more

I like the more zoomed out camera in these shots, it looks like you could actually tell where you're going. I've always had a problem with that in Sonic games.

Advance 1 suffered greatly from that half of the times. I really want this port if it's actually any good.

Rlan

Oddly enough, Sega did port Sonic Advance to Android mobile devices -- but only in Japan. It's not even one of these versions, but instead almost exactly the same as the GBA, just 3X the resolution.

Gameloft also did the dumbphone version of Sonic Unleashed:

1.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YujaGIbRu-0

Which is more like a hack of a Sonic Rush game.

M3d10n

Found it on Nokia store for $3, but I think I'll pass. Gaming on this Java phone is terrible, save for Bejeweled.

Top Bottom