• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Björk turns 50 - Let's celebrate her music!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tenebrous

As a musician & avid music fan, I like trying to break artists down into their individual strengths. Some artists are good at singing, others are good at an instrument, and others can write a tune that rocks the world. I tend to break everything down into 4-5 categories: Lyrics, music-writing, originality, vocals/musicianship.

If someone is great at just one of these things, then you've a talent. If someone is wonderful at two of these things, then you have a potential great. If someone excels at three, then you might have a genius on your hands... Four? Well, that's Björk (
and Zappa
)

melon.gif

Not many artists can boast a body of work so original & seemingly timeless the way Björk can. No two albums are alike, yet you can tell who's behind them within seconds/minutes of playing a(n) <insert format of your choice here>. From the playfulness of Debut & Post, through to the trip-hop perfection of Homogenic & Vespertine, right up to the present day with 2015's album of the year, Vulnicura, VIA the crazy Medulla, Volta, & Biophilia albums... Seriously, it's been 11 years since I bought Medulla, and I still don't fully know what to make of it.

giphy.gif

Unfortunately I was a tad too young to be there for Debut through Homogenic, although I dread to think how many batteries have died for me over the years because of my inability to stop listening to Vespertine on an old CD player I had back in the day. Thankfully, I've had more than enough time to catch up over the past decade and a bit, with my album/bootleg collection being outdone by no-one 'cept Radiohead.

So I guess I should end the post with a recommendation. If you've NEVER listened to Björk before, then I suggest jumping in with either Debut, or the more evolved & refined trip-hop sounds of Homogenic. Honestly, whatever you go for, you can't really do wrong.

Here's some Bachelorette for you.

Jarnet87

Hyperballad is hands down my favorite track of hers.

Happy 50th to Bjork, heres to making music for another 50.

I must admit, Nanna Hilmarsdóttir from Of Monsters and Men is starting to give me a hell of a Björk vibe with her personal style. I hope they return to the scene soon and branch out from folk music.

Meowster

50 years old, been in the music industry for decades, and just released an album that is top two in her discography. She's incredible and one of the greatest artists alive.

I don't actively collect her music but everything I have heard when I come across her stuff I really love. That cat video the best!

Just started collecting her coloured vinyl reissue set, they're all so gorgeous! Born in '98, first album of hers I got was Volta (bought it because the cover looked cool). Here's to 50 more years, eh?

~Kinggi~

Banned
Was more a fan of just her as a personality rather than her music. I did like Dancer in the Dark and a few of her songs are legit greatness. Cant really hate on her.

3phemeral

Hyperballad, Bachelor, Human Behavior, Army of Me, All is Full of Love, Joga, Possibly Maybe, The Anchor Song, Play Dead, Come to Me... etc.

Joga, though.

9UlGbF

Mossybrew

Gold Member
I liked The Sugarcubes more than her solo stuff, so here's Regina.
Those eyebrows tho.

Word. I love her solo stuff too (though admittedly haven't listened to her much the last few years) but the 'cubes were where it all started. Got to see them live opening for U2 way back in the day.

First I ever heard her crazy ass vocals was Birthday

There's a song she has where it sounds like a club song and then partway through the song she seemingly walks out of the club and the music becomes more muted and has a slight echo to it as if you were listening to it outside of a room on a street. Anyone know what song that might be?

Her work on Dancer in the Dark is amazing. One of the few movies I can only watch once and not have the guts to see it again. Soundtrack was greatness.

dancer-in-the-dark.jpg

Hyperballad and Unravel are two of my favorites, but Volta came out during a transitional part of my life and it'll always have a special place in my life. She is forever her own genre.

Love you, Björk <3

Minyobi

I hate to rain on the parade a bit, but I haven't truly loved a Bjork album since Homogenic.
It got to the point where I was listening to that album multiple times a day as if other music didn't exist. There was something about that ambitious, experimental, yet catchy album that really took hold of me.

That said, when it comes to Bjork material made in the 2000s, It's Not Up To You, Where is the Line, Oceania, Innocence, Cosmogony and Lionsong are my jams.

Her work on Dancer in the Dark is amazing. One of the few movies I can only watch once and not have the guts to see it again. Soundtrack was greatness.

dancer-in-the-dark.jpg
My wife made me turn it off at the
money
scene.

Also, since everyone has already posted some of my favourite songs, I'll post Dull Flame of Desire as that's also one of my all-time favourites.

Also, @Minyobi, I have to agree to an extent but I still love the lady.

bjork

great fuckin GAF member

:nod:

Anyway, on-topic: I think I've heard everything from the 1977 release up through Medulla, but I haven't caught up since then. I should really do that. But of what I've heard, I like almost everything. She has a voice that I just enjoy hearing. If I had to pick one album that I like best, I think I'd go with Gling Glo, and I've always wished she did more jazzy styled stuff like that.

I also think she's a solid actress. Juniper Tree was maybe too strange for anyone to be "good" in it, but she seemed good in the clips of Glerbrot that I've seen, and Dancer in the Dark is #2 on my all-time movie list. She's great in it and if you haven't seen it and want to ruin your week with a movie that is wonderful and horrible simultaneously, give DitD a go.

Also I think she's purty.

Jake.

'hyperballad' is her best song by miles, but in terms of LPs:

vespertine > post > homogenic > debut > vulnicura > medulla > biophilia > volta.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom