• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black History Month 2016 |OT| - The last one before President Trump cancels it

Status
Not open for further replies.

catbrush

Until recently I've been fortunate enough to have never heard the American Civil War referred to as "The War of Northern Aggression". Quite disgusting... Textbooks should not be allowed to falsify history and claim that the Civil War was fought over "states rights". Even if the truth is uncomfortable, it's important that young people know our true history, as opposed to convenient make believe fairytale bullshit, or we're doomed to repeat our mistakes.

Over in Canada, or at least my school board, yeah. That's the case I find when I ask younger family members.

Joke is they don't even really learn it in a regular class, it's during their time in "Library" or something. Teacher will read them a book, they'll talk about it a little, move on. Month ends and so does Black History the way they deal with it. :| I remember one year it was a book about Rosa Park, otherwise I have zero recollection of what I was taught in primary, personally.
It's a shame. It should be taught all year.

Youtube is fine since Spotify sometimes doesn't have the music your looking for.
Ok got it. I'm not sure of any Carribbean songs that I know of that will fit thematically. I might need some help on that one.

LionPride

Banned
How many letters would he receive if he does a dab after throwing the game-winning TD?
Nah, He needs to help make sure the Panthers destroy Peyton, everyone Dabs and they do a team photo while Derek Anderson is leading in garbage time. So many letters and think pieces. So many.

ZZMitch

I really enjoyed Selma when I watched it a few months back! Glad it is in the watch list there.

This is also an excuse for me to rewatch Glory, another great movie.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Well, it's black history month. This means Bish can't ban me for another 29 days, right?

U3anZd1.gif

Thread title is poop.

akira28

just toss that jacket into the pile over by the corner.

a horse will be by to pick it up later. if anyone gets thirsty, raise their hands. if you feel hot the back porch is open for fresh air.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Watch The Pruitt-Igoe Myth and Spanish Lake documentaries.

If you don't think progressive legislation can fail, think again.

Pruitt Igoe is why we have the welfare queen.

Malyse

Bruh that title is depressing

Tell me I'm lying.

Quality OP fam.

And yep as long as Cam takes it home, this month will be a good one.

Playing some negro spirituals right now, in fact.
I like the title. I mean, it is topical but I like it.
giphy.gif

Should have put in Mississippi Burning.

Done

-----

8FhuU4N.jpg

Without a struggle, there can be no progress - Frederick Douglass

Frederick Douglass is today’s Google Doodle. Who was this man and why are we celebrating his life? Douglass is a true symbol for human rights and was known for his impressive oratory skills as well as his antislavery writings. He was an abolitionist and statesman who overcame slavery and later became a leader of the abolitionist movement. Read on for our 5 Fast Facts on him below.

1. His Autobiography ‘Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, an American Slave’ Was a Bestseller

Douglass published a couple autobiographies in his life. His 1845 autobiography, “Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, an American Slave,” became a bestselling book and “was influential in promoting the cause of abolition.” Other books he published include “My Bondage and My Freedom” and “Life and Times of Frederick Douglass.” His second autobiography was published just three years prior to his death and it covered events during the Civil War. After one of his autobiographies was published, Douglass engaged in a two-year speaking tour of Great Britain and Ireland in order to avoid recapture by one of his former owners, who Douglass had mentioned in his book.

Douglass was known for his quote “I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong” as he was an advocate for equality among all people. He delivered hundreds and hundreds of speeches and editorials against slavery and racism throughout his life, becoming a powerful voice of the people. According to History.com, he was the most important black American leader of the 19th century.

2. Douglass Was the First African-American Nominated for Vice President of the United States

Truly impressive was that Douglass was the first African-American nominated for Vice President of the United States. He was the running mate and Vice Presidential nominee of Victoria Woodhull. It was on the Equal Rights Party ticket and the nomination was made without his approval.

That same year, Douglass was presidential elector at large for the State of New York and he took the state’s vote to Washington D.C.

During the Civil War, Douglass was actually an adviser to President Abraham Lincoln.

3. He Escaped From Slavery

Douglass was born into slavery in Talbot County, Maryland, to his mother, Harriet Bailey. He was born Frederick Augustus Washington Bailey and later changed his last name to Douglass. Douglass’ exact birth date is unknown as he wrote in his first autobiography, “I have no accurate knowledge of my age, never having seen any authentic record containing it.” He later decided to celebrate the day on February 14th.

As a child, Douglass was separated from his mother and ended up with his grandmother, but at the age of seven, they were separated as well. Douglass was moved to the Wye House plantation and ultimately escaped slavery at age 20. He eventually became a world-renowned anti-slavery activist.

4. Underground Railroad Member Anna Murray-Douglass Was His Longtime Wife

Anna Murray-Douglass was married to her husband until her death and the couple had five children together – Rosetta Douglass, Lewis Henry Douglass, Frederick Douglass, Jr., Charles Remond Douglass, and Annie Douglass, who died at ten years old. Murray was a member of the Underground Railroad and was a huge supporter of her husband. She passed away in 1882 and in 1884, Douglass remarried to white feminist Helen Pitts.

Murray was Douglass’ wife of 44 years and she was born free unlike some of her other siblings. She was working as a laundress and housekeeper when she met Douglass, who was working as a caulker. Murray actually had encouraged Douglass to escape slavery and she gave him some money to help him. The two later married in September 1838. Murray was active with the Boston Female Anti-Slavery Society and supported her husband with his abolitionist newspaper, North Star. The North Star carried on for four years until it merged with Gerrit Smith’s Liberty Party Paper, ultimately becoming Frederick Douglass’ Paper. When asked why he created the North Star, Douglass was quoted saying, “I still see before me a life of toil and trials…, but, justice must be done, the truth must be told…I will not be silent.”

Frederick Douglass died of a massive heart attack or stroke on February 20, 1895.

5. Douglass Was an Early Supporter of the Women’s Rights Movement

Frederick Douglass was a licensed preacher in addition to his many other accomplishments. The United States’ Episcopal Church remembers Douglass annually on its liturgical calendar, every February 20. The Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity designated Douglass as an honorary member in 1921.

In addition to Douglass’ many honors, what was a very important fact about him was that he was an early supporter of the women’s rights movement. He was the only African American to attend the Seneca Falls Convention, which was the first women’s rights convention, in 1848.

http://heavy.com/news/2016/02/frede...elebrate-quotes-academy-iii-wife-anna-murray/

catbird

Neo Member
Another recommended viewing is Carolina Skeletons. Its about George Stinney, a 14 black boy executed for a crime he didn't commit.

oti

Banned
X-posting from the Black Culture thread, makes more sense here:

Hey guys, so after a terrible and insensitive joke I made in another thread (again, sorry) I found out February is Black History Month (I knew this month existed but not that it was in February). So what actually happens in February because of this? School projects? Theatre plays? I really have no idea, there's nothing comparable in Germany.

Seeing that Frederick Douglass banner on Google had me thinking about the time we read his Narrative in a class and it really pissed someone off how placating and restrained the tone was while discussing slavery.

Rur0ni

X-posting from the Black Culture thread, makes more sense here:

Hey guys, so after a terrible and insensitive joke I made in another thread (again, sorry) I found out February is Black History Month (I knew this month existed but not that it was in February). So what actually happens in February because of this? School projects? Theatre plays? I really have no idea, there's nothing comparable in Germany.
Basically black people complain about it being the shortest month, and white people ask why don't we have white history month.

That said, it's mostly about recognizing black contributions to a largely white American society, and equality considering the past (slavery, segregation).

akira28

Frederick Douglass is a genius to do what he did.

his wife deserves a lot of the credit, otherwise he would have been penniless and a pauper, aside from the fact that he might not have even escaped, had it not been for her.

behind every great man is an even greater woman.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anna_Murray-Douglass

Happy BHM fam. I'm tired of being told I'm not "black enough", so I'm going out of my way to celebrate extra hard this time around.

Here's some soca classics from the Caribbean, as requested.

who tells you this thing?

do you not know where the hidden negro features are in this game?

who tells you this thing?

do you not know where the hidden negro features are in this game?

This made me laugh out loud lmao.

And you know, people (high school bullies mostly). I'm pretty pale, even though I'm definitely not white-passing. It's bothered me a lot, especially during high school, and i'm still trying to get over it. I've gotten better though. Thanks.

Still thinking about doing a write-up on black-created webcomics (specifically black women but you know how it is). I only have enough for one a week, but I still wanna do it.

On February 1st, 1960 in Greensboro, North Carolina, four A&T freshmen students, Ezell Blair, Jr. (Jibreel Khazan), Franklin McCain, Joseph McNeil & David Richmond walked downtown and “sat - in” at the whites–only lunch counter at Woolworth’s. They refused to leave when denied service and stayed until the store closed.
http://www.library.ncat.edu/resources/archives/four.html

Here's also the Music Playlist. Took me a while to find stuff I think fits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom