• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Black Isle" is crowd-funding their forums, money not being put towards games

Lancehead

http://blackisle.com/

FAQ

Will my contribution get me a copy of the Project V13 game if it is released?

No. This campaign isn't meant to fund the final PV13 video game.

So what DO I get?

"What's in it for me?" It's a fair question. Your contribution at $10 and up will get you access to news, special updates, and content from the new Black Isle Studios - PV13 forums. At $20 and over, you will achieve special insider status and you will be able to participate in a restricted area of the forum to interact directly with the BIS game designers - make suggestions, discuss our progress, ask us what we had for lunch...

You will receive a certificate of appreciation documenting your efforts to prevent the End of Time. You will also receive a special Black Isle Mayan Apocalypse Replacement (BIMAR) virtual backer badge for display in your forum profile and in game if we successfully launch. The certificate and BIMAR backer badge will be tied to your level of contribution and will demonstrate to others the level of your ongoing support. The top 20 contributors will each receive a unique BIMAR badge reflecting their outstanding commitment to saving the world.

We may hold other promotions in the future that offer forum or in-game badges as rewards, but this will be your ONLY chance to earn the BIMAR badge to show that you supported this project from the beginning. So act now!

When will the new Black Isle Studios forums open?

Assuming we get the support necessary to Save the World, we should have the forums up and running in about 30 days (approximately the end of January). Shortly before then, we will make a further announcement and send email notifications inviting contributors to register. NOTE THAT YOUR PAYMENT WILL BE CHARGED NOW, AT THE TIME YOU MAKE YOUR CONTRIBUTION, NOT AT THE TIME THE FORUM OPENS.

Sounds great, but what will you do with my money?

We have been working hard behind the scenes to resume operations as Black Isle Studios. Since we are no longer constrained by licensing issues, we have the opportunity to build a new IP from the ground up and there is a lot more latitude to unleash our creativity, try some new ideas and even incorporate your suggestions. Our goal at this stage is threefold: 1) prove to management that you want Black Isle Studios resurrected - and all the history and tradition of excellence that goes with it; 2) to continue to staff up BIS and complete our PV13 game design; and 3) to develop a tech demo/ proof of concept for our design that will open the doors to additional funding.

They're using Invested as the crowdfunding platform: http://invested.in/U10274/black-isle-studios

ddjvacv.jpg

Sounds like Fallout with a horde mode or tower defense.

For more info on what Project V13 used to be: http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Project_V13

Update #1
Update #2

Update #2 said:
Why you shouldn’t donate.

Something you should think about before donating or telling your friends to donate. You might be the cause of a small number of people sitting in their cramped, dark f****** shelter depressed because they’re not sitting in their cramped, dark f****** for real because the world didn’t really end.

Got that? Some people won’t be happy you’re helping.

So, if you have no compassion for those apocaleptics who want it all to come down around our ears (but not theirs), then you probably shouldn’t put in a contribution. But if those people, sitting in their ivory dungeons, annoy the hell out of you with their barrels of water, stacks of freeze dried, and smug attitudes, then maybe you should just empty the bank account on this project. Just to spite them.

Create some apoplectic apocaleptics. (Yeah, try saying it out loud.)

Update #3
Update #4
---
Seriously, fuck these guys for ruining a great name.

Is this that fallout mmo from a while back?

I think that was the rotting corpse of Interplay that handled Fallout MMO, this is another rotting corpse.

EDIT: Wait, it seems they are not even selling anything! No backing gives you any sort of game product!

This is definitely a thing. I don't believe it can be described any other way.

"You don't know who Black Isle is (well was)?"

I think the point is that because all of the major known creative forces behind Black Isle are no longer there, this is ???????

2Crisis

Will my contribution get me a copy of the Project V13 game if it is released?

No. This campaign isn't meant to fund the final PV13 video game.

welp. This is a fundraiser for an interest check? No thanks.

vazel

Banned
I thought all the top talent from Black Isle moved to Obsidian. Let's start calling this BINO(Black Isle in Name Only).

Gintamen

For 20dollar I even get a BIS founders badge and access to a hidden forum. Those are some great rewards they are offering.

duckroll

Yes... they seem to be doing... a.... thing. I think that's the only way anyone familiar with the background of Interplay can really react to this. Lolz.

marrec

Banned
YES! Finally the resurrection of Black Isle enters into the second phase!

I was worried that my snarky jokes about being really excited to see what Black Isle is working on were going to get too old.

Thanks Interplay dude, you've given me AT LEAST 4 months of additional jokes.

Patryn

So they're asking for money and guaranteeing nothing from a group of people using the name of beloved studio that they have little to no connection with.... and they think this is a good idea?

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Using the Black Isle name doesn't really gain them that much because the only people to which that name means anything will likely know that they aren't the real Black Isle.

Perkel

Banned
I am dying here:

Our goal at this stage is threefold: prove to management that you want Black Isle Studios resurrected - and all the history and tradition of excellence that goes with it; continue to staff up and complete our PV13 game design; and develop a tech demo / proof of concept for our design that will open the doors to additional funding

Can some mod change title of thread ? We know that this is scam and people should be aware.

I love the concept. Ever since playing the original Fallout games, a strategy/sim game along these lines has been one of my 'fantasy' games. I think the setting lends itself perfectly for this type of game.
Not sure what to think of this "Black Isle" though, haven't paid a lot of attention to it.

Lancehead

People who might, for who knows what reason, want to back this project should note that the money will be immediately taken since there's no funding goal.

And they're already got their hands on $1641.

iUfIgBchxdu6n.png

epmode

Contributions will add time to the Mayan clock - pushing back the Mayan Apocalypse - and advance the PV13 countdown. When the PV13 goal is reached, we'll be able to finish our replacement magic (aka, extraordinarily complicated physics) and completely thwart the Mayan Apocalypse.

Because we are fighting off the Apocalypse, the contributions will be accepted immediately, not after 30 days. (But you can come back later to increase your participation to receive the higher level rewards if you so choose.)

That's the best part.

What a crazy site.

I am dying here:

Can some mod change title of thread ? We know that this is scam and people should be aware.

It's not a scam, no. This game has indeed been in development for many years, and is a real game. Well, it's a "scam" if you think that giving money to Herve Caen is him scamming you, which is a debatable point I will admit, but the game IS real. If Interplay hadn't lost that lawsuit to Bethesda, I think we'd have seen more of FOOL (aka PV13) by now, but losing the Fallout name can't have helped...

Anyway, as much as I dislike Herve Caen for what he did to Interplay, I am interested to see if PV13 is actually any good. Actually making this game has been his goal for so long now, and it has some pretty nice concept art from before they lost the lawsuit, too... I hope it actually releases eventually, I really do.

That's the best part.

What a crazy site.
They definitely have a sense of humor, at least...

I am reminded of Josh Sawyer's thoughts on the matter the first time that news about a resurrected Black Isle surfaced.
Basically what they've done here is put the new Black Isle Studio's name on Project Vault 13, aka would-have-been-Fallout-Online, a game that Herve Caen/Interplay have been working on for years, albeit with very little funding or staff. And has been pointed out, a few actual Fallout people HAVE worked on the game. That doesn't mean that if it ever releases it'll actually be any good, but who knows in its current state.

Yeah this is just disgusting.

I dont like how the rights to these loved 90's games and companies have found there way into the hands of random people just so clearly whoring the brand for whatever money they can get.

Feel the same about Baldur's gate EE.

Even if the update is ok I just think the rights to that should be in better hands.

Black Isle and BG where both Interplay right? Which became Atari? Which then went bust and is now owned by.....?

Kind of explains what's happened I guess.

Grayman

hahaha.

Interplay tries to keep rights to Fallout MMO
Rights are sued away
Interplay uses name of old studio to try and get crowd funding to revive said mmo

epmode

With all the console ports...?
Sorry, the Black Isle days were as good as it's going to get...

I'd rather have the excellent console ports we're getting now versus the trash (or no port at all) of previous generations. But I was really talking about the independent game surge and Kickstarter. Even big budget games are getting in on the old styles, what with stuff like XCOM, Deus Ex and Dishonored. Even if they're not quite on par with their predecessors, they're absolutely going in the right direction.

Yeah this is just disgusting.

I dont like how the rights to these loved 90's games and companies have found there way into the hands of random people just so clearly whoring the brand for whatever money they can get.

Feel the same about Baldur's gate EE.

Even if the update is ok I just think the rights to that should be in better hands.

Black Isle and BG where both Interplay right? Which became Atari? Which then went bust and is now owned by.....?

Kind of explains what's happened I guess.

Black Isle was Interplay's RPG division. Bioware developed BG, Interplay/Black Isle published (though Black Isle began developing Project Jefferson, which was believed to be BG3). Interplay still exists, but might as well not, considering their state. They never became any part of Atari.

Top Bottom