• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Lawmakers Seek Restrictions on Menthol Cigarettes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaborn

The Congressional Black Caucus is calling for changes to a House tobacco-regulation bill, demanding that the legislation place restrictions on menthol cigarettes, the type heavily favored by African-American smokers.

The 43-member caucus is taking aim at a provision in the bill that would ban candy-, fruit- and spice-flavored cigarettes but that specifically exempts menthol. In recent weeks the exemption has become the focus of controversy because menthol brands are heavily used by black smokers, who develop a large share of smoking-related cancers and other health risks.

Donna M. Christensen, the Congressional delegate from the United States Virgin Islands who heads the black caucus’s health task force, said the caucus was working with Representative Henry A. Waxman, the California Democrat who is House bill’s sponsor, to address concerns about menthol.

“We are very aware and gravely concerned about the disproportionate incidence of lung cancer in the African-American community and, along with so many minority health experts, have long been concerned about the role menthol may play,” Ms. Christensen said in an e-mail response to a reporter’s query.

Ms. Christensen did not disclose the exact wording of any proposed changes to the legislation. But she said the group was working to strengthen the bill’s language on research and reporting about menthol and to give the Food and Drug Administration explicit authority to ban menthol.

On the other side of the debate, Lorillard, the cigarette company that would stand to lose the most from a ban on menthol, is mounting a counteroffensive. In e-mail messages sent on June 22 to smokers of its leading menthol brand, Newport, the company urged them to call their Congressional representatives.

“Urgent! Urgent!,” the message said. “Congress wants to make it illegal to smoke Newports and other menthol cigarettes. Call your member of Congress now and tell them to oppose any amendment to ban menthol cigarettes.”

A spokesman for Lorillard, Michael W. Robinson, said, “We think it’s important that consumers know what’s going in Washington and have an opportunity to make their voices heard.”

The legislation has passed crucial committees in both the House and the Senate, and supporters are hoping for floor votes this year. Mr. Waxman has predicted a House vote after members return from the July 4 recess.

With or without a menthol exemption, enactment of the bill is not a certainty.

Opponents of the proposal are hoping that opposition from the White House, as well as tobacco state senators, along with a series of delays in moving the bill to the House and Senate floors and an abbreviated election-year schedule, might mean the bill would not be adopted this year.

Menthol is a racially charged additive, in part because of the tobacco industry’s heavy marketing of mentholated cigarettes to African-Americans since the 1950s. The flavor helps to mask the harsh taste of cigarettes and may make it easier to start smoking,

Menthol brands account for 28 percent of the $70 billion American cigarette market. While only 25 percent of white smokers choose menthol cigarettes, an estimated 75 percent of African-American smokers do.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and other public health officials have raised concerns about the possibility that menthol cigarettes might increase tobacco addiction and possibly cancer rates among black smokers.

There is also evidence that some menthol brands, including Newport, contain among the highest level of nicotine of leading cigarettes. Some experts believe that higher nicotine levels increase the addictiveness of cigarettes.

Some lawmakers have said the decision to exempt menthol from the bill’s flavorings ban was intended to win support for the legislation from Philip Morris, the country’s dominant tobacco company, whose Marlboro Menthol is the second-leading menthol brand.

Some smoking opponents have said they consider the menthol exemption as a necessary compromise to get the legislation passed. They have said that the bill as currently drafted would give the F.D.A. the authority to limit or eliminate additives, including menthol, if proved to be harmful.

The American Medical Association, in its meeting in Chicago in June, voted to ask its board to consider the question of whether menthol should be banned. The decision effectively rebuffed members who had wanted the group to speak out this year against the bill’s menthol exemption. Leaders of the organization cited the possibility that removing the menthol exemption might disrupt the compromise that has engendered broad support for the bill on Capitol Hill.

Some supporters of the bill’s current language on menthol have argued that, because menthol is widely used by many smokers, the effects of banning it outright are hard to predict. Among possibilities they have suggested is that menthol smokers would turn to an illicit cigarette market to obtain menthol cigarettes.

In a letter to several lawmakers on June 11, a coalition of health groups, including the Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids, the American Heart Association and the American Lung Association, reiterated their support for the bill without changes to the menthol provisions.

“The impact of modifying or prohibiting such a large portion of the current cigarette market is unclear,” said the letter, sent to Mr. Waxman as well as John D. Dingell of Michigan and Frank Pallone Jr. of New Jersey, House Democrats who head the Committee on Energy and Commerce and its health subcommittee.

The Congressional Black Caucus took up the menthol issue in June after Dr. Louis W. Sullivan, an African-American who was the secretary of health under President George H. W. Bush, met with members of Congress and their staffs to voice concerns about the bill’s treatment of menthol.

Dr. Sullivan, president emeritus of Morehouse School of Medicine in Atlanta, was one of nearly a dozen former federal health officials who had signed a letter expressing concern about the bill’s treatment of menthol.

A black antismoking organization, the National African American Tobacco Prevention Network, withdrew its support for the bill in late May, citing the menthol exemption.

Story here

I don't smoke but how is this different from sentencing people who use crack more harshly than people who use regular powdered cocaine? (something typically criticized because blacks use crack disproportionately)

Tamanon

Banned
I don't know what your point is from the crack statement, it doesn't seem to apply. But it makes sense not to have a menthol exemption. This bill is aimed at banning cigarettes that use flavor-changes to make it more palatable to people who normally wouldn't smoke.

If you're going to have a bill banning spice/fruit/candy flavored, there's no reason not to lump menthol in there.

Gaborn

Tamanon said:
I don't know what your point is from the crack statement, it doesn't seem to apply. But it makes sense not to have a menthol exemption. This bill is aimed at banning cigarettes that use flavor-changes to make it more palatable to people who normally wouldn't smoke.

If you're going to have a bill banning spice/fruit/candy flavored, there's no reason not to lump menthol in there.

Read more carefully, the group is OPPOSING exempting menthol, and believing that it too should be facing more restriction/potentially banning (if you oppose a bill to ban those cigarretes because it doesn't ban menthol...). My point though is that you shouldn't target a particular product because one race disproportionately uses it and it's unfair to punish black smokers disproportionately.

Tamanon

Banned
But....they're targeting cigarettes that a certain group disproportionately uses in the bill itself, just an age bias. They're arguing that menthol has the same effect as candy flavor, just for a different group to muck up the proportions. In fact, all the bill says is that it gives the FDA the ability to restrict and ban menthol, that does not hurt black people.

Gaborn

Tamanon said:
But....they're targeting cigarettes that a certain group disproportionately uses in the bill itself, just an age bias. They're arguing that menthol has the same effect as candy flavor, just for a different group to muck up the proportions. In fact, all the bill says is that it gives the FDA the ability to restrict and ban menthol, that does not hurt black people.

Arguably it helps black people because of the health risks of smoking. Still though, I'm wary of anything that intends to restrict people's choices, and giving the FDA the power to ban cigarettes of any type (and what health related reason WOULDN'T they do so? They're not exactly "safe" so of course they would) is targeting the group that uses them. People in our society shouldn't be restricted in the poor choices they choose to make so long as they're only harming themselves.

Next - a ban on Mountain Dew because it makes you sterile! </on good authority from black co-worker>

Use better judgment folks! Smoking is bad for you, m'kay. :\

nyong

Banned
Yeah, no matter what decision is reached here it's not going to be good.

1. Menthol banned- blacks specifically targetted.
2. Menthol not banned- blacks specifically targetted.

ToxicAdam

I don't really have a problem with this. It's a necessary step in eliminating smoking from our society.

But, maybe the Black caucus should focus on why they aren't allowing poor, black people the opportunity to send their kids to private schools. Especially since a good portion of them send their own children to private schools.

nyong

Banned
Odysseus said:
just outlaw the sale of cigarettes entirely already

This is the reason a ban on menthol is a bad idea. It's going to be perceived as just this, only targetted only at blacks.

Not banning menthol is the only real answer here.

Jim Bowie

The Faceless Master said:
they make those!?

:lol :lol :lol

cgr_swisher_sweets_blunt_grape_5pks.jpg

Tamanon

Banned
nyong said:
This is the reason a ban on menthol is a bad idea. It's going to be perceived as just this, only targetted only at blacks.

Not banning menthol is the only real answer here.

And banning other flavors, but exempting menthol will be seen as the government wanting blacks to keep smoking and killing themselves. That's kinda the issue with menthol. At least if you lump it in with the other flavors you're bannig it's not singling out anybody.

Odysseus

Banned
alternately, perhaps we can get those oil speculators to move on to tobacco and bid the price of a pack of cigarettes up to $20

nyong

Banned
Tamanon said:
And banning other flavors, but exempting menthol will be seen as the government wanting blacks to keep smoking and killing themselves. That's kinda the issue with menthol. At least if you lump it in with the other flavors you're bannig it's not singling out anybody.

Yeah, I realize that. I just think the shitstorm would be less not banning it than it would otherwise. Fact is, no matter what decision is reached it's going to be perceived as racist.

Gaborn

nyong said:
Yeah, I realize that. I just think the shitstorm would be less not banning it than it would otherwise. Fact is, no matter what decision is reached it's going to be perceived as racist.

and so it should be, just as in the 30s when marijuana was first made illegal it happened to be disproportionately used by blacks and hispanics.

Karakand

The Faceless Master said:
legalize marijuana at teh same time!
Smoking weed doesn't make you look cool. I might as well trade in my designer tees for tie died ones and grow my hair out (then get it dreaded) if I take up weed.

Odysseus

Banned
nyong said:
Fact is, no matter what decision is reached it's going to be perceived as racist.

i'll have a hard time worrying about a claim of racism in a move that will save lives

"how dare you save us and not white people! as if 400 years of oppression wasn't enough."

lil smoke said:
These arent designed for actually smoking... they are made to roll. Bascially weed flavoring.

so this bill would kill two birds (and no black people) with one stone. excellent.

nyong

Banned
Gaborn said:
and so it should be, just as in the 30s when marijuana was first made illegal it happened to be disproportionately used by blacks and hispanics.

I'm all for a nationwide ban on cigarettes. In fact, I think the best time to implement this is in conjunction with free healthcare in disguise as a future cost-saving measure. Until the ban can be made across the board it shouldn't be done, though.

Banning menthols is at best is going to be seen as white people doing what they believe is best for blacks, which is condescending. At worst it's going to be viewed as limiting the freedom of one group, while not touching anothers. In reality, this is exactly what the ban would be doing. Why not make wearing bicycle helmets mandatory for blacks and not whites?...it would save black lives.

I think it's far easier to defend not banning menthols to the public than the latter.

lil smoke

Banned
apocalidiot said:
My friends are starting to smoke them, should I clue them in on this or what?
I didn't mean that literally. It's fairly well known though, that Swishers, Phillies, White Owls, Dutchmaster, etc. are not cigar quality smokes. The advantage these brands have are that they are cheap, and easy to split for a nice blunt in about 9 seconds. That's why in the 80s-90s they started advertising their flavors and selling them in the hood.

If your budies are smoking these, they are rookies. Soon enough they will level up to Backwoods or Black & Milds :lol

Gaborn

Captain Glanton said:
If you thought the taxes on tobacco were excessive, you ain't seen nothing yet!

Presumably though you would also legalize growing it, and, since it's a weed and fairly easy to grow there wouldn't be as much tax revenue as you might think that way.

Pimpwerx

Captain Glanton said:
It'll still be cheaper than the price of an eighth now. Prohibition always drives prices up. PEACE.

Captain Glanton said:
I can't see any situation where either the government or corporations will actually manufacture or distribute marijuana. Voter or consumer backlash would be too great. I can foresee that you would have to buy a license to grow marijuana. That license would likely be expensive, but I'm sure many, many people would pay for it.

nyong

Banned
Gaborn said:
Presumably though you would also legalize growing it, and, since it's a weed and fairly easy to grow there wouldn't be as much tax revenue as you might think that way.

There's absolutely no way they're going to legalize growing it if they legalize smoking it. I would bet just about anything on this. Somehow they would heavily restrict growers through permits or something.

Gaborn said:
I don't smoke but how is this different from sentencing people who use crack more harshly than people who use regular powdered cocaine? (something typically criticized because blacks use crack disproportionately)
I agree . . . unless there is some showing of Menthols being more harmful or something like that, such discrimination in cigarrette types is unjustified.

I'm heavily against this nanny state type of legislation, especially if it's meant to target one specific group. People need to make better individual choices, or, they can continue to smoke.

ToxicAdam said:
I don't really have a problem with this. It's a necessary step in eliminating smoking from our society.

But, maybe the Black caucus should focus on why they aren't allowing poor, black people the opportunity to send their kids to private schools. Especially since a good portion of them send their own children to private schools.

Or, they can start focusing on saving the schools in these childrens vary same neighborhoods.

lil smoke

Banned
Liara T'Soni said:
Or, they can start focusing on saving the schools in these childrens vary same neighborhoods.
That's what I'm saying. Fuck these excuses. Fuck restricting menthol. Educate. Give the people fishing poles.

Odysseus said:
i'll have a hard time worrying about a claim of racism in a move that will save lives

"how dare you save us and not white people! as if 400 years of oppression wasn't enough."

so this bill would kill two birds (and no black people) with one stone. excellent.

Well, if it's black lawmakers pushing for it, it's not racism as much as it might be classism, and to a greater extent, House Negroes that think they have some sort of entitlement to speak on the behalf of the entire black population.

We don't need this nanny state bullshit. Whats next, ban alcohol for blacks? (I believe they did something like this in Australia). The NBC should ashamed of itself, thinking that they can just usher in some sort of anti-smoking laws on blacks just because they are focused on blacks and therefore the whole thing can be swept under the carpet easier. I do not like it when the government tries to use us as some sort of testing block. Ban full flavors, let us be for the time being.

lil smoke said:
That's what I'm saying. Fuck these excuses. Fuck restricting menthol. Educate. Give the people fishing poles.

This is why I am against this race-based kind of legislating. The NBC may think that it's doing something positive, when in reality, they are just creating a precedent.

Should we ban ham hock and neck bones? Because these are foods that African Americans eat at higher proportions, and banning them could help reduce obesity in our community? (I understand that this isn't a 1:1 comparison, just saying, what the hell kind of shit is this?)

Tamanon

Banned
Liara T'Soni said:
Well, if it's black lawmakers pushing for it, it's not racism as much as it might be classism, and to a greater extent, House Negroes that think they have some sort of entitlement to speak on the behalf of the entire black population.

We don't need this nanny state bullshit. Whats next, ban alcohol for blacks? (I believe they did something like this in Australia). The NBC should ashamed of itself, thinking that they can just usher in some sort of anti-smoking laws on blacks just because they are focused on blacks and therefore the whole thing can be swept under the carpet easier. I do not like it when the government tries to use us as some sort of testing block. Ban full flavors, let us be for the time being.

Er....the legislation is for banning flavors, not just menthol. In fact they're trying to GET menthol added because it's being specifically excluded.

Tamanon said:
Er....the legislation is for banning flavors, not just menthol. In fact they're trying to GET menthol added because it's being specifically excluded.

And the article makes it seem as though this is only the case because the NBC is trying to force their race-based objectives into the bill.

I'm not going to get into a debate about what a cigarette flavor is, I am concerned about the implications of what the NBC is doing.

Phoenix

Odysseus said:
alternately, perhaps we can get those oil speculators to move on to tobacco and bid the price of a pack of cigarettes up to $20

If living in Singapore for a while taught me anything, its that raising the price on a product to discourage use doesn't work. It simply increased bootlegging and neglect of other obligations to get to the product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom