• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Myth: Wukong - 13 Minutes of Gameplay (Reveal)

So we've finally come full circle. God of War's premise is pretty much the prologue of Journey to West where the Monkey King takes on the entire pantheon of gods at galatic scale. Now Chinese devs have decided to make a game vaguely inspired by God of War starring the Monkey King, who is in a way the OG Kratos.

Here's hoping this is just the tip of the iceberg for Chinese AAA games.

I think this is incredibly impressive for something made by 30 people. But jeeze, are people getting carried away with the best graphics ever or what? It does look very UE4 because it is, and certainly doesn't have a bead on the UE5 demo or even mid-late 8th gen AAA games.

Not taking anything away from a novel game idea made by a small team looking this good, but come on, it does not look better than most next gen games or any similar claims.
Lighting and effects alone are a leap forward. What are "most next gen games"? Foliage, effects, and the lighting look better than HZD2, which is the best of the bunch (disregarding artstyle). Hellblade 2 is still tops but we have no idea if that's realtime. UE5 demo is not a game at all. This is gameplay.

MadYarpen

So... The wolf.

I guess this is what
OddballMajorBorderterrier-size_restricted.gif
would look like on PS5.

• LOL
Reactions: Isa

DavidGzz

I think this is incredibly impressive for something made by 30 people. But jeeze, are people getting carried away with the best graphics ever or what? It does look very UE4 because it is, and certainly doesn't have a bead on the UE5 demo or even mid-late 8th gen AAA games.

Not taking anything away from a novel game idea made by a small team looking this good, but come on, it does not look better than most next gen games or any similar claims.

Did you watch the other video that showed the landscapes up close? Also that video had a low bit rate it was kind of blurry. Anyway even if it doesn't have the best graphics technically if you combine the art style, the animations, and the foliage, it is to many of us. For example I think Ghost of Tsushima is one of the prettiest games ever but this one crushes it.

Last edited:

Ellery

The more I watch the more I am impressed. So weird seeing this niche kind of gaming in AAA quality coming out of china. Especially by the graphics

Kumomeme

wow this look good. screaming next gen looks. if screenshot of demon souls before accurate to real gameplay then im saying ds remake wont lose.

Tschumi

I'll say this much, Chinese games seem to have a more varied palette to choose from for designing their characters. I mean, okay, they all want some kind of Qin Shi Huan armour plating and a goatee for at least one character, but Japanese games seem to owe a lot to anime (no bad thing)

The combat looks a bit PG to me..

Anyway, I'm going to start doing this thing where i pretend it's still 2009: "graphics aren't everything, I'm no shallow foo', i just wanna know how good the gameplay is"

dV8tR

Neo Member
Just caught the trailer - this looks amazing; lots of style and panache. Definitely now on the watchlist. Hope for a next gen release soon !!

Nickolaidas

Yet another next-gen title on PC destroying the competition. The PC has been able to do this for years. Consoles don't dictate when next-gen graphics are in focus. This generation the PC will stand out more than it's competition. Overall suppport for all RTX features, native 4k, 60FPS, DLSS 2.0, VRS, Xbox exclusives, and Sony exclusives.. it's going to be a great generation for the PC.
You ... do realize the PS5/XSX versions will look 99% identical to the PC version ... right?

Jon Neu

Banned
While some of the scenes are very taxing, in terms of overall look and feel I'm not having my pants blown off as much as some looking at the environments, impact of animations, and textures, if you look at something like how all the plant life sways and moves around you even in a mid gen title like Uncharted 4, let alone vastly better textures in next gen titles like Forbidden West.

Uncharted 4 is probably my most played game this gen in my PS4 Pro. And this looks clearly one step above. The physics of the bell in the Wolf boss fight were really nice.

It's the best graphics coming from a real gameplay we have seen right now. The UE5 demo is completely empty, you can't hardly call that gameplay when there's nothing to play, just your character moving in empty spaces.

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
Sony or Microsoft should outright buy this developer. Their game looks incredible. Imagine how much a game like that would benefit from being made by a first party studio? 🤤

SUPERGGK

Great video. A sure buy if the game really plays and looks like that at launch. Now this is what I want. New and competent studios are opening all around the world. And they bring new blood, fresh ideas and lots of passion and ambition with them. I am really excited for the future of gaming.

Fbh

This is made by one guy

This is made by 70

Crazy what you can do with modern tools really. Wukong was 30-40 I think, and the trailer was also a recruitment video.

Honestly, so far this is the most exciting part about next gen.
After the DC reveals of today it seems like going forward more and more big studios will go chase the multiplayer crowd. But stuff like Bright Memory, Kena or Wukong (if it ends up looking like this) are showing how modern tools and engines are allowing even lower budget games made by smaller teams to look really nice. So even if most of the AAA industry moves on to online GaaS, it gives me hope there will still be awesome smaller games that can still look really nice.

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
I don't know if this has already been mentioned, but Sun Wukong is the basis for Son Goku of DragonBall (Z/Super), hence Goku's monkey characteristics (e.g. his tail and Oozaru transformation), his use of the Flying Nimbus, and his use of the Power Pole.

Dr Kaneda

If this was a vertical slice that was a couple of years into development then I'd be impressed and optimistic about it looking like this.

But the fact that this is the only development they've done on the game and haven't even started full production and are recruiting a team and investors/publishers, well that means I'm far more sceptical. I've seen one man teams make demos only slightly less impressive than this. Working flat out to just produce a 15 minute slice of gameplay means you can do so impressive things that wouldn't be possible if you had to develop even a few hours of gamplay let alone an entire game. They're going to need some serious investment and talent to pull this concept off.

longdi

Banned
It's just a CG clip...
They're looking for investors for $ right now. it's a kickstarter lol

nah, it is a UE4 engine tech demo tbf.

That said, the other thing i will dink them, is Wukong running animations lack weight and gravity.

Uncharted 4 is probably my most played game this gen in my PS4 Pro. And this looks clearly one step above. The physics of the bell in the Wolf boss fight were really nice.

It's the best graphics coming from a real gameplay we have seen right now. The UE5 demo is completely empty, you can't hardly call that gameplay when there's nothing to play, just your character moving in empty spaces.

Ratchet looks more impressive technically.

Top Bottom