• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BLACK OPS 3 (PS4) Has dedicated servers and ping NUMBERS!

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
WOW that's really something, i might just pick that game if the impressions are good. I always hated the P2P stuff.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rOW9jTgudg&feature=youtu.be

Yes, yes, yes.

Didn't see anyone else mention it... Pretty big news, imo.

Dedicated servers?
latest

What does that mean?

Dedicated servers? Is this new?

Dedis is huge. It shouldn't be, but for the CoD it is huge, as I don't believe we've had dedis in a long, long time. Or at least not some hybrid dedicated servers, anyway... I'm looking forward to seeing this in the real world.

RexNovis

Banned
This is great new but watching the video my thought was mostly just "Jesus that is a lot of info jammed into the UI. Way too much shit to keep track of." Maybe I'm getting old....

Dedis is huge. It shouldn't be, but for the CoD it is huge, as I don't believe we've had dedis in a long, long time. Or at least not some hybrid dedicated servers, anyway... I'm looking forward to seeing this in the real world.

I thought they've had dedicated servers on Xbox One since Ghosts?

How delightful!

As amazing as this news is, this should have been the standard years ago.
It'd be both horrific and hilarious if they still didn't put up dedicated servers for the PC version.

Mechazawa

Didn't Activision also claim this for AW/Ghosts? This certainly looks more transparent with the ping numbers, but I don't really understand how that program that guy's using is verifying he's on a dedicated server.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
This is great new but watching the video my thought was mostly just "Jesus that is a lot of info jammed into the UI. Way too much shit to keep track of." Maybe I'm getting old....

It's cluttered, but not any moreso than other modern CoD titles.

Hip Hop

How delightful!

As amazing as this news is, this should have been the standard years ago.
It'd be both horrific and hilarious if they still didn't put up dedicated servers for the PC version.

PC has had Dedicated Servers in the past.

Black Ops 2 is fully dedicated servers and it's already confirmed to be coming in Black Ops 3 as well.

Uhh... I see ping bars, which are pretty damn standard.

As are dedicated servers.

So, like, what?

Beyond that, game looks really good. I think, what, 3 years is it? 3 years makes for a pretty damn good CoD game.

Edit: lol, why the hell isn't his Nat type open? What a pleb

Black Ops 2 is fully dedicated servers and it's already confirmed to be coming in Black Ops 3 as well.
Pretty sure CoD games on PC have just been getting worse and worse over the years. CoD 4 and before had dedicated servers and I believe even a server browser.

Ah damn, I was sure I kept hearing people complain about the lack of dedicated servers on PC. Which games were missing them then in the series?

Noobcraft

COD 4 had dedis & ping on PC. Most of them weren't hosted by Activision iirc.

That said dedicated servers are welcome so long as Activision doesn't turn them off as soon as the next COD comes out.

Noobcraft

Would someone care to explain to me the difference from dedicated servers to peer2peer?

Also, nice references.
The big difference is no host advantage. There's also more connection stability, no host migration mid match, and less hackers (usually).

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Would someone care to explain to me the difference from dedicated servers to peer2peer?

Also, nice references.

D-Server: Everyone connects to one central point. No host advantage, lag spikes your own damn fault or the server fucking up.

P2P: Host advantage, lag spikes can happen randomly if someone in host's internet is browsing, etc. Generally shitty.

Hip Hop

Ah damn, I was sure I kept hearing people complain about the lack of dedicated servers on PC. Which games were missing them then in the series?

Come to think about it, I think the only ones that didn't have dedicated servers are Modern Warfare 2 and Modern Warfare 3. But in Modern Warfare 3, you were able to host your own servers for unranked matches.

EDIT:

I think what people confuse it with is the lack of servers browser, as the recent games have only used matchmaking to find games. But there have been hints of that coming back as well in Black Ops 3 PC.

VertPin

The big difference is no host advantage. There's also more connection stability, no host migration mid match, and less hackers (usually).

D-Server: Everyone connects to one central point. No host advantage, lag spikes your own damn fault or the server fucking up.

P2P: Host advantage, lag spikes can happen randomly if someone in host's internet is browsing, etc. Generally shitty.

Thank you.

This is awesome.

Also, nice references.

Everyone is connected to a server that is hosted by Activision/dev's server, so pings should be fairly optimal/evenm you can assume they're using good server to keep the game updated optimally.

P2P is just random crazy bullshit, it selects someone out of the group whom it thinks has the best connection and uses him as the source for updating the game for everyone.

Stability over randomness simply put.

Pretty much all the most recent ones but Black Ops 2.

They even promised us dedicated servers before the launch of Advanced Warfare, and didn't deliver.

Everyone is connected to a server that is hosted by Activision/dev's server, so pings should be fairly optimal/evenm you can assume they're using good server to keep the game updated optimally.

P2P is just random crazy bullshit, it selects someone out of the group whom it thinks has the best connection and uses him as the source for updating the game for everyone.

Stability over randomness simply put.
To build off of this, P2P is that bullshit where when the host leaves the match, everybody gets frozen in time or kicked out of the game while the host migrates to the person with the next best connection.

joecanada

i thought ghost and aw had dedicated servers on ps4?

Can't be or the netcode is unusable. Aw is unplayable lag and game drops if host quits. Couldn't do more than two days... Tried multiple times.

This is a very big deal. Goes from absolutely no way I'd touch it to probably pick it up

Hip Hop

Pretty much all the most recent ones but Black Ops 2.

They even promised us dedicated servers before the launch of Advanced Warfare, and didn't deliver.

Yeah, you're right. I can't quite remember but AW and Ghosts on PC might be on the "no dedicated servers" list as well.

Fuck yeah! Games having the minimum required functionality!

Cool for people who still play CoD though. I played some of Advanced Warfare on a free weekend and it was pretty much equivalent to a games for windows live c-tier multiplayer game. I was kind of blown away by how much the series has regressed since CoD4.

Top Bottom