• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Sails |OT| Michael Bay’s Pirate Show For Starz Saturdays 9PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

gribbles

Banned
My question is, where is Blackbeard?

The show is set in 1715. Blackbeard didn't become active in the Caribbean until 1716, when he joined up with Benjamin Hornigold, and at that time he was considered a "rookie" pirate. So we still got another year to go.

Finally, a replacement for Spartacus. I'm in the Uk so I can't watch the show until it starts but man I am looking forward to it.

Especially the girls man.

RS4-

Enjoyed it. Not a spoiler, but how I felt about the premiere
it has a lot more humour than I expected. Thought it'd be grim and all sorts of crazy like Spartacus.

Then again its been one ep, that might all change.

Folks, just a quick reminder to please spoiler tag any discussion of the early release pilot before it airs on Starz next Saturday. Thank you.

obin_gam

a pirate infograf from the shows fb-page:
npL84hm.jpg

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I probably like this more than I should because of AssCreed 4.

But all the trappings around it, mostly the soap opera plots, are kind of bad. I guess you have to expect 20 betrayals an episode with a show like this?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So... same as Spartacus then?
I never watched Spartacus, so I really ha no idea what to expect. I laughed at the end of the episode when the girl started her triple cross. The only thing that would have made it better is if she turned out to be a Templar.

Clevinger

The pilot was really good. Like someone else said, I was surprised how funny it was. Some awkward acting and dialogue here and there
like the ship's clerk whose lines seemed to be 100% dubbed, which was weird as hell
, but it was mostly good. I liked John Silver and his actor. The sets and ships and costumes and everything looked nice.

The trailer made it seem like
Flint would have more gravitas and be more impressive than he was, but maybe that was intentional with the whole weak captain thing.

oh, and tits. plenty of tits

Really looking forward to the rest of the eps now

My question is, where is Blackbeard?

lol

Great pilot. I'm a history buff, and the world feels wonderfully realized. Story and characters are intriguing as well, and effects/sets wise, it seems like a step up from Spartacus' stylized atmosphere. I'm in

McNei1y

Wow. I really like what I saw in the first episode. This seems like a series right down my alley. I'm a sucker for pirate stuff too. Looking forward to what this season holds. It will definitely make the wait for Game of Thrones easier. I'm currently attached to such an interesting range of shows: Vikings, Pirates, Zombies, Fantasy (GoT)...

Random note: I was wishing that it was spring time the entire time I was watching this show rather than winter. The locations looked so beautiful that I just wanted to open up my windows.

TheOddOne

- NY Post: Starz takes on ‘real’ pirates with ‘Black Sails’
Since this is Starz, the premium cable elements are there — lesbian sex scenes, nudity, bloody violence — which may help distinguish it from NBC’s upcoming drama “Crossbones,” which stars John Malkovich as the notorious pirate Blackbeard. And while the first few episodes set up a familiar plotline of seeking treasure, Steinberg doesn’t want “Sails” to be defined as simply a “pirate show.”

“We try not to use that word when we’re talking about it. It is to define them by the crime that they’ve committed as opposed to by the life they’re trying to eke out for themselves,” he says.
:lol

royalan

^^ Wait

There's ANOTHER pirate drama coming?

It's like, we got nothing on the subject of real pirates and the golden age of piracy for ages, and now suddenly EVERYONE wants to do it?

I welcome this.

(Although, I think Black Sails being on in a cable network will enable it to tell a more engaging, uncensored story. Although, Crossbones is airing on a national network, which means it will have a significantly higher budget, as well as an 18+ episode season to really flesh things out. But then there's the fact that it's an NBC show...)

^^ Wait

There's ANOTHER pirate drama coming?

It's like, we got nothing on the subject of real pirates and the golden age of piracy for ages, and now suddenly EVERYONE wants to do it?

I welcome this.

(Although, I think Black Sails being on in a cable network will enable it to tell a more engaging, uncensored story. Although, Crossbones is airing on a national network, which means it will have a significantly higher budget, as well as an 18+ episode season to really flesh things out. But then there's the fact that it's an NBC show...)

Flesh things out or drag them out? I've found that I enjoy shows with less episodes (GOT,Sherlock,Breaking Bad) than the normal 20+ from network dramas. Still more pirates isn't a bad thing,

royalan

Flesh things out or drag them out? I've found that I enjoy shows with less episodes (GOT,Sherlock,Breaking Bad) than the normal 20+ from network dramas. Still more pirates isn't a bad thing,

That is the question.

Someone should make a thread - I just finished having an argument with my roommate over which standard was better: the cable TV 8-10 episode season, or the network TV 18-22 episode season. Both have their pros and cons. I think, overall, cable networks tell more focused stories due to their shorter seasons, but sometimes they're forced to rush through plot in order to cram it all into such tiny seasons (something that I think was a huge issue for GOT's last season. Everything felt so abrupt, and not always in a good way).

That is the question.

Someone should make a thread - I just finished having an argument with my roommate over which standard was better: the cable TV 8-10 episode season, or the network TV 18-22 episode season. Both have their pros and cons. I think, overall, cable networks tell more focused stories due to their shorter seasons, but sometimes they're forced to rush through plot in order to cram it all into such tiny seasons (something that I think was a huge issue for GOT's last season. Everything felt so abrupt, and not always in a good way).

I agree about GOT last season and it's funny because they split that book into two seasons and it still felt rushed but Breaking Bad is a perfect example of telling a focused fleshed out story within the 10ish episodes per season format. They even ended it at the right time unlike Dexter which just dragged on forever.

I just realized John Silver (Black Sails) = Long John Silver (Treasure Island)

Mind.... blown. This was probably obvious to others but I didn't know the show was a prequel.

Side Note: loved the pilot. Much higher budget than I expected, locations were great. Acting will improve with storylines I am sure.

TheOddOne

- THR: Black Sails: TV Review
This ambitious pirate story is helped immensely by going beyond the pay cable freedoms that often bog down lesser shows in boobs, blood and sex. "Black Sails" steers itself out of that realm after a few episodes and makes a play for bigger, more complicated stories. Solid acting patches up weaker spots. A series worth a look.

- Onion A|V Club review: Black Sails is a tale of a bloodthirsty pirate bureaucracy
Black Sails is a handsome illusion at times, but it rarely finds its way beyond that. Grade: C
- Sepinwall review: Starz's 'Black Sails' a draggy, landlocked pirate saga
This sense of epic, expensive swashbuckling action lasts about five minutes, an elaborate bait-and-switch before "Black Sails" settles into landlocked tedium, as the series suggests a pirate's life for me, you or anyone else involves far more bureaucracy than pillaging.

aku:jiki

I would read it after the show is done. It's a prequel so this will give a really nice lead in to the novel.
Where are you getting that it's an actual, official prequel? As far as I'm seeing it, they're just using the John Silver name to throw another famous pirate in there. Treasure Island is public domain.

Clevinger

Where are you getting that it's an actual, official prequel? As far as I'm seeing it, they're just using the John Silver name to throw another famous pirate in there. Treasure Island is public domain.

Flint, Silver, Billy Bones, and
Black Sails' story is centered on Flint's treasure
. It doesn't have to be official since it's public domain, but it's clearly written as a prequel.

- Maureen Ryan's combo Vikings / Black Sails review:
As I watched, I kept asking myself, "This is a show about pirates, right?" If so, why was there a seemingly endless business meeting in Episode 3? That was just one of a number of scenes that were as exciting as watching barnacles dry. I don't think it's too much to ask that a show with the word "sails" in its title venture onto the water now and then, but much of the action (if you can call it that) takes place in a shore settlement, where a variety of meandering subplots will make you long for a bracing sea chanty.

TheOddOne

Today is the actual TV premiere of the pilot:
Season 1: episode 1 "I."

John Silver joins Captain Flint's crew as the ship's new cook while holding a highly valuable page of the Captain's Log from the English ship he was previously on. Meanwhile Captain Flint faces a potential mutiny from his crew and must work to secure their support.

Drake

I got my DVR set for tonight. I've been looking forward to this show for a long time. Hopefully it's good.

royalan

I'm going to watch it again tonight. See if I change my mind on it, but honestly I really enjoyed the pilot.

Was surprised by some of the reviews the pilot got. Seemed like a lot of people didn't like that there wasn't a lot of action. But isn't the the point of the show? To tell a more realistic pirate story? The era of piracy was more than just sea battles and swinging from the mast. Lots of drama and political intrigue to be had in the day-to-day moving goods across the Atlantic and maintaining a democracy of criminals. That's the stuff I actually WANT to see, and that usually gets brushed aside in pirate stories.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom