• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blackwater founder creating a mercenary army in Middle East

Status
Not open for further replies.

numble

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/15/world/middleeast/15prince.html

Erik Prince, the founder of Blackwater, has a new project.

Late one night last November, a plane carrying dozens of Colombian men touched down in this glittering seaside capital. Whisked through customs by an Emirati intelligence officer, the group boarded an unmarked bus and drove roughly 20 miles to a windswept military complex in the desert sand.

The Colombians had entered the United Arab Emirates posing as construction workers. In fact, they were soldiers for a secret American-led mercenary army being built by Erik Prince, the billionaire founder of Blackwater Worldwide, with $529 million from the oil-soaked sheikdom.

Mr. Prince, who resettled here last year after his security business faced mounting legal problems in the United States, was hired by the crown prince of Abu Dhabi to put together an 800-member battalion of foreign troops for the U.A.E., according to former employees on the project, American officials and corporate documents obtained by The New York Times.
The U.A.E.’s rulers, viewing their own military as inadequate, also hope that the troops could blunt the regional aggression of Iran, the country’s biggest foe, the former employees said. The training camp, located on a sprawling Emirati base called Zayed Military City, is hidden behind concrete walls laced with barbed wire. Photographs show rows of identical yellow temporary buildings, used for barracks and mess halls, and a motor pool, which houses Humvees and fuel trucks. The Colombians, along with South African and other foreign troops, are trained by retired American soldiers and veterans of the German and British special operations units and the French Foreign Legion, according to the former employees and American officials.

For Mr. Prince, the foreign battalion is a bold attempt at reinvention. He is hoping to build an empire in the desert, far from the trial lawyers, Congressional investigators and Justice Department officials he is convinced worked in league to portray Blackwater as reckless. He sold the company last year, but in April, a federal appeals court reopened the case against four Blackwater guards accused of killing 17 Iraqi civilians in Baghdad in 2007.

To help fulfill his ambitions, Mr. Prince’s new company, Reflex Responses, obtained another multimillion-dollar contract to protect a string of planned nuclear power plants and to provide cybersecurity. He hopes to earn billions more, the former employees said, by assembling additional battalions of Latin American troops for the Emiratis and opening a giant complex where his company can train troops for other governments.

Knowing that his ventures are magnets for controversy, Mr. Prince has masked his involvement with the mercenary battalion. His name is not included on contracts and most other corporate documents, and company insiders have at times tried to hide his identity by referring to him by the code name “Kingfish.” But three former employees, speaking on the condition of anonymity because of confidentiality agreements, and two people involved in security contracting described Mr. Prince’s central role.

The former employees said that in recruiting the Colombians and others from halfway around the world, Mr. Prince’s subordinates were following his strict rule: hire no Muslims.

Muslim soldiers, Mr. Prince warned, could not be counted on to kill fellow Muslims.

He was among the half-dozen or so Americans who would serve as top managers of the project, receiving nearly $300,000 in annual compensation. Mr. Chambers and Mr. Prince soon began quietly luring American contractors from Afghanistan, Iraq and other danger spots with pay packages that topped out at more than $200,000 a year, according to a budget document. Many of those who signed on as trainers — which eventually included more than 40 veteran American, European and South African commandos — did not know of Mr. Prince’s involvement, the former employees said.

He and Mr. Prince also began looking for soldiers. They lined up Thor Global Enterprises, a company on the Caribbean island of Tortola specializing in “placing foreign servicemen in private security positions overseas,” according to a contract signed last May. The recruits would be paid about $150 a day.

Within months, large tracts of desert were bulldozed and barracks constructed. The Emirates were to provide weapons and equipment for the mercenary force, supplying everything from M-16 rifles to mortars, Leatherman knives to Land Rovers. They agreed to buy parachutes, motorcycles, rucksacks — and 24,000 pairs of socks.

To keep a low profile, Mr. Prince rarely visited the camp or a cluster of luxury villas near the Abu Dhabi airport, where R2 executives and Emirati military officers fine-tune the training schedules and arrange weapons deliveries for the battalion, former employees said. He would show up, they said, in an office suite at the DAS Tower — a skyscraper just steps from Abu Dhabi’s Corniche beach, where sunbathers lounge as cigarette boats and water scooters whiz by. Staff members there manage a number of companies that the former employees say are carrying out secret work for the Emirati government.

Although there was no expectation that the mercenary troops would be used for a stealth attack on Iran, Emirati officials talked of using them for a possible maritime and air assault to reclaim a chain of islands, mostly uninhabited, in the Persian Gulf that are the subject of a dispute between Iran and the U.A.E., the former employees said. Iran has sent military forces to at least one of the islands, Abu Musa, and Emirati officials have long been eager to retake the islands and tap their potential oil reserves.

On a recent spring night though, after months stationed in the desert, they boarded an unmarked bus and were driven to hotels in central Dubai, a former employee said. There, some R2 executives had arranged for them to spend the evening with prostitutes.

Interesting read.

This guy is scum:

He was an intern in the White House under President George H. W. Bush[14] and subsequently criticized that administration's policies to the Grand Rapids Press, saying: "I saw a lot of things I didn't agree with—homosexual groups being invited in, the budget agreement, the Clean Air Act, those kinds of bills."

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
These days pirates and mercenary armies are making comebacks. Why does real life sound like a setup for a movie?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
This guy is right out of the current Bond series. How high up is he in the Quantum organization?

kevm3

I'm telling you, this is going to be the next big problem... Corporate, mercenary armies who engage in wars for profit, and even have large interests on keeping them going to keep their revenue up.

Dabanton

kevm3 said:
I'm telling you, this is going to be the next big problem... Corporate, mercenary armies who engage in wars for profit, and even have large interests on keeping them going to keep their revenue up.

Yep.

Disgusting as hell but inevitable.

Jintor

Title should be Prince of Blackwater

anybody want to bet references to PMCs with a thinly veiled reference to Blackwater makes it into DX3?

Dice

kevm3 said:
Kubisa said:
Cue MGS4 intro.
Crossed my mind (because of MGS4) but I wasn't going to say it.

Dice

ThreeSix said:
Nevertheless, this song still creeped into your head.
Hahahaha OMG play this in the background and read the article again imagining Campbell or Snake saying it.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
090330jon-voight1.jpg

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
ThreeSix said:
Nevertheless, this song still creeped into your head.

Ahhhhh memories.

10 seconds of that song and I'm already thinking "GAF MGS4 haters can eat my solid snake!"

Dreams-Visions said:
this post wins.

it's SUPER creepy when you read it in his voice.

not sure if "wins" is the best word for that kind of horror but it works. this whole thing is terrifying, especially when I stop and think about it and find that my jealousy of this dude's ability to make crazy shit happen outweighs my distaste for the eventual war involved.

Binabik15

kevm3 said:

There are mercenaries involved in African wars since forever. For example Mad Mike.

It might me not full blown MGS4 or even Blackwter in Iraq level, but in an ooold magazine article (Spiegel, if someone cares), there was a report about European mercs dogfighting each others in old Russian and European planes on behalf of different militias, warlords and governments. Crazy stuff.

I guess it´s true: The most valuable skill you learn in any army is to kill people dead. (semi accurate World War Z quote :p)

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
badcrumble said:
FUN FACT: The Prince family also really, really loves Francisco Franco.
wat

Not that I find it unbelievable being Prince a notorious christofascist, but that kind of came from the left field.

Wazzim said:
I don't understand how he can do this legally, he only wants to kill.
he says he wants to help people. Reading his Wiki entry, he says the Rwandan genocide compelled him to take action. The manner of his action (i.e. shooting civilian in Iraq) is an open question.

caffeinated said:
First pirates and now mercenaries, the world is going backwards pretty fast.
Pirates and mercenaries have been around forever. If either are new to anyone then they haven't been paying attention too well and only follow the main stream media.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
adamsappel said:
No need to advertise in Soldier of Fortune anymore!

h4wGJ.jpg
Chances are Rhodesia's foreign soldiers (whom weren't straight up mercenaries) were of considerably better moral character than Prince.

tino

Banned
Binabik15 said:
There are mercenaries involved in African wars since forever. For example Mad Mike.

It might me not full blown MGS4 or even Blackwter in Iraq level, but in an ooold magazine article (Spiegel, if someone cares), there was a report about European mercs dogfighting each others in old Russian and European planes on behalf of different militias, warlords and governments. Crazy stuff.

This is awesome, I am playing the soundtrack of Area 88 now!

kevm3 said:

It's always been like this though, the only difference is the corporate presentation of these groups

As an American, I'm glad that he's been driven out of the US. Hopefully from here on out no American taxpayer dollars will end up in the pockets of this piece of filth. I would cheer if I saw this guy's corpse being dragged through a street somewhere.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
chaostrophy said:
As an American, I'm glad that he's been driven out of the US. Hopefully from here on out no American taxpayer dollars will end up in the pockets of this piece of filth.
This.
I would cheer if I saw this guy's corpse being dragged through a street somewhere.
i myself wouldnt go this far but i wouldnt blame anyone that did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom