• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blade Runner: 30 Years Later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfe

Rutger Hauer is on YouTube!

And here he discusses thoughts on that final scene, including putting to damn rest the "tears in the rain was improvised!" thing. Complete legend. It's always a pleasure to hear thoughts from actors who clearly get invested in the philosophical aspects of their own characters.

"RUTGER HAUER Blade Runner talks" is actually a series of short uploads he made on YouTube about Blade Runner. On one, he even found an alternate cut of the Tyrell murder scene on YouTube and talks about it, including how how always hated the suggestion he killed Sebastian because "it makes no damn sense", and in another says why kissing seems important to the Batty character etc. Really interesting stuff. You really get how important this film was to Hauer. "It burns into your soul. I cannot say it anyway else." Man after my own heart.

I've watched a few of these a long while back but accidentally began watching them all over again while at work due to your link :p

Leckan

The holy trinity of Science fiction films is Alien, Blade Runner and 2001. All of them audiovisual orgasmic experiences. Almost every frame could be put on a wall.

I'm hoping Ridley can return some of that magic he had earlier in his career with Prometheus.

Zeliard

I see no reason to doubt Prometheus, not even the PG-13. I also don't really hate Lindelof like some do. :p He isn't great but he should do fine with that sort of script, since it'll rely more on the big story ideas than anything else; the smaller character moments will be Ridley's to execute on and I think he'll do it just fine. The cast is incredibly strong.

lunchtoast

Picked up this baby when it first came out, don't remember what number I have though.

z1s44l.jpg

Gila

I just bought this on steelbook. The first time I've ever bought a steelbook Bluray

Can't fucking wait.

luca1980

Banned
The holy trinity of Science fiction films is Alien, Blade Runner and 2001. All of them audiovisual orgasmic experiences. Almost every frame could be put on a wall.

I'm hoping Ridley can return some of that magic he had earlier in his career with Prometheus.

Man blade runner opening is still one greatest opening ever, it sends chills on my spine every time i see it

thirty

Banned
so does the final cut blu ray also include dangerous days or am i going to have to buy the 5 disc set for that?

i remember this being on sale everywhere about a month ago for about $13. i waited and now, no where in stock in the LA area. i soooo want to watch it this weekend but it looks like i'm going to have to order it from amazon for $20.

Or maybe it was just out of amusement. He was grinning like the cheshire cat as Deckard was slipping. It's only once Deckard spat at him that he decided to move. Maybe he liked that fire? It's extremely hard to here, but he says "Ah! Kinship!" as he grabs Deckard. It's all so quick.

Maybe he doesn't even have a reason.

What?? He doesn't say "kinship"...More like deckard grunts in fear and Roy from exertion.

Ridley Scott filming an adaptation of Richard Morgan's Altered Carbon... the stuff dreams are made of...

I saw Blade Runner and The Thing within days of each other on release (and went back to see each a few more times while they were in the theatre), and tho' I loved both films I absolutely hated the voice over in Blade Runner from the very first viewing, especially the end... I'd seen The Thing first, and Carpenter's downbeat, understated finale seemed so much better than Scott's faux sunshine and birdsong "I don't know how long we had together. Who does?" ending... But ya, absolutely classic; one of the best movies ever made in any genre...

The ending was forced in him.

I caught some of it on AMC last night. First time I'd seen any of the Theatrical Cut. The narration is awful. Ford sounds like he doesn't want to do it, and it's all just way too blatant. Final Cut seems way better.

I wish I could watch it for the first time again, enjoy.

Nah, you'd probably be jaded about it.

"slow-paced"

"All flash and no substance"

"characters underdeveloped"

"Han Solo is a bore"

"they copied the tired cyberpunk theme"

"no black people in the future"

Suairyu

Banned
Batty doesn't say "kinship" he's just grunting.
It's really not like this isn't a simple google search away...

"roy batty kinship" gives enough articles, interviews and even the imdb quotations section on the first page of results to show you the truth.

Radogol

If you're referring to the big documentary, 'Dangerous Days', that comes with the Final Cut anyway.

The 5-disc set has a 40-minute alternate cut made up exclusively of unused shots, music, voiceover and deleted scenes. That alone is worth the price of admission.

epmode

so does the final cut blu ray also include dangerous days or am i going to have to buy the 5 disc set for that?
In America, Dangerous Days does not come with the Final Cut standalone release. Other regions may include it, however.

Erasus

I got the blu-ray as a gift for my dad as I had a memory of him commenting on it taht it was good.
Plus I havent seen it. We shoudl watch it sometime. Just that my mom and sis is a bit anti sci-fi D:

I watched it a few times now. Sorry, I just don't like it.

I like the setting and style of the movie. All are fantastic. But the story bored me to tears.

DJ88

Damn I came in here to post a link to the pretty good price I got for the 5 disc blu ray set, but its out of stock now. It was $21 brand new, $24 shipped which is $10 less than the average price you'll find online. It wont come up in the search anymore so I'll post a link to the page I still have in my order history for you guys in case they get more stock.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168085391185741

I bought the 5 disc HD-DVD set the day it released on a blind buy based on the reviews the HD remaster was getting and because the look of the film was really appealing to me. I had never seen or heard of Blade Runner before then. First time I watched it I didn't really get it, and I felt odd about it. I knew I had just seen something truly unique, but I couldn't quite process it yet. After a couple more viewings, it just kept getting better and better, and now I'd say its probably my favorite film ever. Ever since HD-DVD kicked the bucket I planned on getting the blu-ray set, but kept putting it off for some reason. This thread kicked me off my ass to find the 5 disc set on blu ray before it gets harder to find, and luckily I finally got it from that newegg link. Thank you OP!

I caught some of it on AMC last night. First time I'd seen any of the Theatrical Cut. The narration is awful. Ford sounds like he doesn't want to do it, and it's all just way too blatant. Final Cut seems way better.

The Raiders of the Lost Ark filmumentary (http://vimeo.com/36011979) has a few instances of Harrison Ford narration (go to 1:40 and listen to him talking about the truck stunt scenes). I don't think it has anything to do with him not wanting to do it, he's just spectacularly horrible at it. I wouldn't be surprised if he had some sort of reading disability. His voice is just flat and lifeless.

I honestly don't understand poor voice acting/narration. It's work you can do line by individual line, over as many takes as needed. Just "act" the damn sentence, Harrison!

So my gf is going to be watching this for the first time this weekend and I was wondering which version gaf would recommend. Netflix has 3 versions on dvd. Theatrical cut/directors cut both on 1 dvd (I mention this in case there are any problems with quality with both of them being stuffed onto 1 dvd), or the final cut on 1 dvd.

So my gf is going to be watching this for the first time this weekend and I was wondering which version gaf would recommend. Netflix has 3 versions on dvd. Theatrical cut/directors cut both on 1 dvd (I mention this in case there are any problems with quality with both of them being stuffed onto 1 dvd), or the final cut on 1 dvd.

Final Cut all the way.

Thanks guys. Usually I prefer theatrical cuts, but Blade Runner is one of the few movies I could see being better with the changes.

Thanks guys. Usually I prefer theatrical cuts, but Blade Runner is one of the few movies I could see being better with the changes.

Have you seen it?

Under no circumstances should the theatrical cut be viewed first. It's not like most theatrical cut/director's cut scenarios in which the directors cut is the exact same just with deleted scenes added back in.

The theatrical cut of Blade Runner has a completely different ending, as well as a bad voice-over narration that was only added in by the studio after people complained at test screenings.

The directors cut and Final cut are much closer to what Scott wanted.

I've only seen the theatrical cut.

She hasn't seen it at all. After a childhood of being forced to watch terrible c grade sci-fi movies by her father she didn't want to watch any sci-fi at all. But she knows I have great taste in movies and over time has trusted me to choose some great movies she missed out on. So far every sci-fi movie I've had her watch she has loved.

Suairyu

Banned
I've missed this thread so much.

I'm due for another re-watch soon, I think. Maybe I'll pick up something new again. That's what usually happens. This film is a gift that keeps on giving.

I'm not usually that guy to hate on a movie that is considered legendary, but this one I just could not get into. It was one of the most boring movies I've ever seen. I will make an effort to watch it again in a few years to see if I change my mind, but for now, no. I would not advise anyone to watch it.

I'm not usually that guy to hate on a movie that is considered legendary, but this one I just could not get into. It was one of the most boring movies I've ever seen. I will make an effort to watch it again in a few years to see if I change my mind, but for now, no. I would not advise anyone to watch it.

Wow, you're on the list.

antispin

Rewatching on Blu-ray. This + 2001 = so so good, the visuals are breathtaking.

Btw, what's the best place to get the definitive OST?

Fjordson

Rewatching on Blu-ray. This + 2001 = so so good, the visuals are breathtaking.

Btw, what's the best place to get the definitive OST?
The soundtrack situation is such a headache/clusterfuck. None of the official releases are sufficient.

There are literally dozens of bootlegs/fanmade releases that are worthwhile. My favourite lately is the "Esper Edition". Has almost all of the music heard in the film I believe and in great quality.

It's such an amazing soundtrack. I don't get why..uh whoever it is that owns the rights doesn't release a boxset with all of it as an official release. Remastered and all that. Would be great.

antispin

The soundtrack situation is such a headache/clusterfuck. None of the official releases are sufficient.

There are literally dozens of bootlegs/fanmade releases that are worthwhile. My favourite lately is the "Esper Edition". Has almost all of the music heard in the film I believe and in great quality.

It's such an amazing soundtrack. I don't get why..uh whoever it is that owns the rights doesn't release a boxset with all of it as an official release. Remastered and all that. Would be great.

Yeah, did a search on Amazon and there were too many options; opinions seem to align with 'bootleg is the best'. Oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom