• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blade Runner Enhanced Edition Coming to Steam, PS4, Xbox One, and Switch

ManaByte

Nightdive Studios, known for restoring classic video games such as System Shock and Turok: Dinosaur Hunter, has partnered with production company Alcon Entertainment to restore the 1997 point-and-click adventure title Blade Runner for PlayStation 4, Xbox One and Nintendo Switch, as well as a PC version through online storefront Steam.

"It's true that the original Blade Runner source code was lost," says Larry Kuperman, head of business development at Nightdive. "We painstakingly reverse-engineered the code, importing it into our own KEX engine, a powerful tool that allows us to do console ports of classic titles, even in the face of quite challenging situations."

Blade Runner: Enhanced Edition will feature a "polished and premium restoration" from Nightdive Studios via the company's proprietary KEX game engine, which it has used to restore Turok and System Shock for contemporary platforms, among other titles. The game will feature updated character models, animations and cutscenes, as well as widescreen resolution support, keyboard and controller customization and more. The original foreign language translations (which include German, French, Italian and Chinese) of the original game have also been sourced for the Enhanced Edition.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Never had a chance to play this before so I will give it a go! I just hope this isn’t one of those Night strap situations where the Xbox versions never appears...?

Cravis

Never had a chance to play this before so I will give it a go! I just hope this isn’t one of those Night strap situations where the Xbox versions never appears...?
Nah if anything it might be the other way around. Night Dive brought Turok 1 and 2 to X Box first. I do believe PlayStation owners are still waiting for those ports

Can't wait for this! What an unexpected, exciting announcement!! In a perfect world, they would find a way to use the engine from The Last Night instead since that game is in development hell and we're likely to never see it but this will do. Anybody care to upload some pics of this KEX engine in action?

Salute to them for putting in the work to do this after the source code was infamously lost during an office move in 03. I've played through the game multiple times recently and wouldn't hesitate to jump back in if this shapes up well.

Last edited:

scalman

So not even one screen to show what and how enhanced? Untill i see something dont believe . Hope its not one of thosr resolution enhancements, those are worse.

Last edited:

HE1NZ

Banned
Played it after watching the sequel. It's kinda meh. You kind of stumble around until some random event happens.

RAIDEN1

The irony is that, a couple of years ago, I read that bringing this game back was problematic because the original "source code" or something along those lines had been lost, so the only way to play it was if you had an old enough PC, you could get it to run on Windows XP without any trouble, now you find that not only is it readily available on GOG for today's PC's but an enhanced edition is coming! If this sells well enough, it would be awesome to see a sequel to it, when I played it originally back in 2013/14 I couldn't quite get into it, but this game is definitely up there with the likes of Policenauts and Snatcher...will definitely look to purchase this enhanced edition...

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Will this come as a free update with the gog version already available? Or is this separate?

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Never finished this. It's one of those "what the fuck do I do" old adventure games and I usually like those.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
The GOG version is thoroughly playable on modern systems and the game holds up well even now. I remember being absolutely blown away by it as a teenager - the way the game set the scene was mind blowing and it was the first game that made me care about the characters.

One thing - how will they handle the Lucy problem?

Virex

Banned
I hope they fix the audio. The audio quality in the gog release is not really good. I remember it being a lot better in my massive game box physical release.

Top Bottom