• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blair Witch Project PC games

I was digging though some old boxes at my parents house, and i came across these.
Blair_Witch_Volume_1_Rustin_Parr.jpg

blwitch2.jpg

1762964-5fd5b04221939f539be044abb8bbe07f_blair_witch_volume_3__the_elly_kedward_tale.jpg

I bought these with paper route money. Back then, (i was a kid) I was a huge fan of horror movies, (blair witch project scared the living shit out of me). These games came out around the time of Silent Hill and Resident Evil 2, and i enjoyed them. Does anyone remember them? Decent survival horror games.

screenshot_blair_witch_volume_3_the_elly_kedward_tale_3.jpg

blairwitch2-1.jpg

27479-blair-witch-volume-i-rustin-parr-windows-screenshot-rustin.jpg

teiresias

I only played "Volume 1: Rustin Parr," it scared the ever living crap out of me at the time (and I was 21 at the time, so it's not like I was a young kid), and I thought it was pretty amazing. The sound design in the game is absolutely amazing. The tank controls are what they are - tank controls, but I think the controls are a bit easier for being kb/m rather than a console controller from what I can recall.

I also liked the way it took the Blair Witch mythos and expanded it beyond the witch to a more primordial evil and benevolence.

Jawmuncher

I knew they existed because I remember seeing them in a PC Gamer mag ages ago.
Dusk Golem needs to get in here and give us the scoop.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
what the fuck am I looking at

huge fan of the movie but had no idea this existed

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I was literally just talking about this game with some people on stream as playing through NOCTURNE right now for the first time (even right as we speak, on episode 3 of 4), and I plan to play these within the next week or two.

Because you guys don't seem to know what these games are, these are a series of three episodes of games made by Terminal Reality, the people who made NOCTURNE, and Blood Rayne 1 and 2. There's even a cameo from a character in NOCTURNE in the Blair Witch Episode 1.

The three episodes descend in timeline before the events of the movie. The first episode takes place a little after the events of the killing in the basement with the teacher mention in the movie. The second even takes place longer ago, back when the legend wasn't fully known of the witch that haunts the forest. the last episode takes place right before the curse begins.

Like NOCTURNE, it should be a proper bitch to run on modern PCs (as it was made for older windows), but possible, which I can vouch for as I'm playing NOCTURNE on Windows 7 right now. They run on the same engine and basically have the same gameplay as NOCTURNE (and are hinted to be set in the same universe), so they're essentially further episodes of NOCTURNE, though I hear from people the Blair Witch episodes are supposed to be scarier than NOCTURNE.

teiresias

Just watch this vid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bI-_1v_m9ro
Scary as fuck. Especially the civil war confederate ghosts in part 2. These are worth playing. I bought these at Software ECT. with paper route money.

I remember this part from the game actually. I thought it was cool how they did that, I'll put this in spoilers in case anyone plays it later:

If I remember correctly, the evil in the forest was some primordial evil even the Native Americans knew about - there's a Native American shaman or something in the game - and it does all kinds of shifting things with space and time - hence the glimpse you get of the scene from the movie even though the game is sent in the Rustin Parr time in the 50s(?)

The games also indicate that the Blair Witch universe is the same as the Nocturne universe (no, not SMT: Nocturne, but the PC game: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nocturne_(PC_game)), the tutorial even has you at the headquarters from Nocturne and meeting with The Stranger from the Nocturne game.

Maligna

Banned
There's a Blair Witch DVD pack you can buy that comes with both movies and all the games. Got in on amazon years ago. I basically gave away everything but the original movie after a couple months though, haha.

White Man

These games are practically sequels to Nocturne (not SMT Nocturne, of course), which is similar and awesome. They use the same engine.

Sorcerer

I remember picking up the Blair Witch experience box set at a Five Below for of course 5 bucks.

The Blair Witch Project DVD
Blair Witch 2 DVD/CD Combination
The Blair Witch PC Games Collection
Exclusive pewter Stickman Necklace

It had the soundtrack on the flipside of one of the dvd's. It was just a regular cd on one side. I have never seen that before or since.

Could never get the games to run properly on my pc.

CPCunha

I liked the movie a lot, so when i heard this games expanded on the lore i was all over them as soon as they came out. Had tons of fun (and scares) playing them... Vol.1 was by far my fav. Rustin Parr story creeped the hell out of me... If i recall correctly theres tons of video clips on the game CD... you have to access it through the file manager... really well produced videos of Rustin Parr standing trial. It looked like promotional material for the movie.

Also, Vol.1 was a crossover from the Nocturne game...which was also pretty darn cool.

blast from the past.
"=0)

*beaten

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Updated my last post with information on Blair Witch. I hear the games are pretty good but a bit rough around the edges. Have fantastic atmosphere, but some elements clash a bit (like the dogs in episode 1 get mentioned a lot for making no sense).

teiresias

I liked the movie a lot, so when i heard this games expanded on the lore i was all over them as soon as they came out. Had tons of fun (and scares) playing them... Vol.1 was by far my fav. Rustin Parr story creeped the hell out of me... If i recall correctly theres tons of video clips on the game CD... you have to access it through the file manager... really well produced videos of Rustin Parr standing trial. It looked like promotional material for the movie.

Also, Vol.1 was a crossover from the Nocturne game...which was also pretty darn cool.

blast from the past.
"=0)

*beaten

The video clips are probably all footage from the special for the movie that was made for Sci-Fi at the time I believe, called "Curse of the Blair Witch". I think that special is on every disc release of the movie and it's actually a really cool extra and might even be better than the movie itself.

Love these.

Definitely get Nocturne if you haven't played that, Badenergytroll. I think it holds up really well. If you can still stand tank controls, that is. Undoubtedly Terminal Reality's finest hour. RIP IN PIECE. :(

Hopefully Humanhead will be around for a while still. Ritual :(

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
I was literally just talking about this game with some people on stream as playing through NOCTURNE right now for the first time (even right as we speak, on episode 3 of 4), and I plan to play these within the next week or two.

Spooky. I just watched Giant Bomb's "Unfinished - The forest" video and they were talking about these. I played a demo for part 1 back in the day, but it didn't run well on my computer.

These were pretty low budget games and were rushed out of the door due to the film's success.

I only thought there were two though. Hmm...

Jackpot

Banned
The thing that stands out for me about Nocturne was the one part in the vampire castle where a door shuts behind you and the only thing illuminating the room are the muzzle flashes of your dual pistols a la Equilibrium.

Pretty decent games back in the day.

I had and finished them all. Some good puzzles, great audio and genuine eerie atmosphere.

Went into more detail than the movies and even
showed monsters hinted at in the movies, like the tree/stick people etc
. For anyone who really got into the stories behind the movies the games had heaps of interesting back stories too.

Fenderman89

Neo Member
Huge horror fan and original movie fan here, but didn't know about these.....
Thx a lot OP, now I feel like I have to play those games!!!! :D

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member

Because you guys don't seem to know what these games are, these are a series of three episodes of games made by Terminal Reality, the people who made NOCTURNE, and Blood Rayne 1 and 2. There's even a cameo from a character in NOCTURNE in the Blair Witch Episode 1.

The three episodes descend in timeline before the events of the movie. The first episode takes place a little after the events of the killing in the basement with the teacher mention in the movie. The second even takes place longer ago, back when the legend wasn't fully known of the witch that haunts the forest. the last episode takes place right before the curse begins.

Like NOCTURNE, it should be a proper bitch to run on modern PCs (as it was made for older windows), but possible, which I can vouch for as I'm playing NOCTURNE on Windows 7 right now. They run on the same engine and basically have the same gameplay as NOCTURNE (and are hinted to be set in the same universe), so they're essentially further episodes of NOCTURNE, though I hear from people the Blair Witch episodes are supposed to be scarier than NOCTURNE.
Oh man, NOCTURNE scared the bejesus out of me when I first played it, I'm surprised that not many people know about them.
The thing that stands out for me about Nocturne was the one part in the vampire castle where a door shuts behind you and the only thing illuminating the room are the muzzle flashes of your dual pistols a la Equilibrium.
YES, I would take turns playing with a friend, was there part in the level when you were walking in the courtyard and something runs across the ramparts lit up by flashes of lightening?

Talyn

Someone should move their ass and put these on GOG. Really great atmospheric games. Nocturne too.
Hell yes someone should. I didn't know these existed until tonight either but now that I do I really would like to play them. The Bloodrayne games are on GOG, why hasn't someone thought to put these up for sale? Could it be a licensing issue given they're Blair Witch games? Someone get Night Dive Studios on this, they're good at dealing with that sorta thing.

I remember playing 1 & 2. Never got the chance to play the 3rd series but damn did those games had those "classic" freak out moments.

CassSept

I played Volume 1 when I was 10. I think this game is the reason why I'm reluctant to play any sort of horror games, for a kid they were insanely scary. I never finished it because my mom took the disc away because I freaked her out with my screams :(

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
I'm SO glad to see Nocturne get some love. That was a great game with an even better concept and the technical aspect was hot shit back in the day.

I love Blair Witch but haven't played any of the BWP games. An odd thing considering how I feel about Nocturne and BWP.

Lakitu

st5fu
My brother was a Blair Witch fan back in the day so he made us play these. But they were actually kind of fun and scary, remember really enjoying them.

SJRB

Gold Member
These games were scary as hell, I couldn't even finish the demos. Amazing concept though, making it a three-parter in three different time periods.

Similar to Nocturne, which I only played with godmode on haha. I remember Nocturne having revolutionary cloth physics on the main character's trenchcoat. That game needs a reboot. You shoot vampires in the head with a holy Tommygun in some 40's cinema. The mission with the zombies in the farm village was super creepy, zombie cows and stuff haha. Baron Samedi! I still remember his name even after all these years.

boinx

I remember playing a demo of the first game back in the day. It was pretty resident evily, only with ghosts.

Shame games like this can get forgotten so easily.

Games like this are so popular right now this would be a ripe opportunity.

Any ties to movie studios will probably leave it firmly in the past.

Krafter

Damn, I loved the Hell out of the Blair Witch games, particularly the first and third one. They are even better if you play them after Nocturne, as it's practically a continuation only starring Holliday rather than the Stranger.

Such great stuff, I wish someone would do something with either property, adding modern graphics. Spookhouse adventures, with all-new cases or something, cumulating with a return to Blair Forest. Oh yeah.

With all the remakes and found footage style movies coming out, Blair Witch seems to be ripe for the picking. Blair Witch 3? Why aren't these being made? I would be down with a Blair Witch 3 done like Lords of Salem or Insidious (where we see a Rustin Parr like character's descent into madness and serial killing caused by the witch).

Top Bottom