• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blink 182 is coming back

My younger brother who has seen them live before said they were absolutely awful, out of tune, no encore and from the moment they starting playing they didn't seem like they wanted to be there at all.

That being said, I don't think I've ever heard anyone say blink 182 is good live, hell whenever you watch any live videos on YouTube they sound bad.

Hopefully the new songs are decent though.

Edit: also surprised to see so many other alkaline trio fans in the comments, I imagine most of our introductions was stupid kid :)
I've seen them 4 times, twice with Tom, twice with matt, I admit the sound for the Tom shows were not brilliant, I knew I wasn't going to see them for their "quality", but the fun and atmosphere. That being said, the last time I saw Tom in Blink was just before the hiatus, not sure if it was public by then, but I think they knew it, and it just seemed a little more raw and emotional, we deffo got an encore at that gig from them. Seen Tom since then at an AvA gig, played some boxcar racer songs too which was nice to hear!

I found out about trio late into the Maybe I'll Catch Fire cycle (1999? 2000?). Was before they appeared on thps or flat out soundtracks for sure though. Think I had a compilation cd from Kerrang! mag that had either radio or M.I.C.F on it? I was hooked from the start. But was hard to find the cd's here so i had to download them from mIRC p2p apps i think 😅 Binged the first 2 albums and didn't have to wait long for From Here to Infirmary

Love Dan's songs 💀🖤

Last edited:
Can't be worse than a bunch of old dudes surrounded by children doing Fortnite dances, right?
Jesus. Didn't know they made a videoclip of that with that.
First single is out.

It’s great to hear them back together again.

Doesn't sound that good.
My younger brother who has seen them live before said they were absolutely awful, out of tune, no encore and from the moment they starting playing they didn't seem like they wanted to be there at all.
After Tom rejoined and until he left it was like that.

They were pumping good albums at the same time, but yeah, they were bored live, waste of money.

Last edited:

darrylgorn

He was a skater boy, he said see you later boy!

200.gif

I love Blink, great band. They peaked at the self titled album and everything they did with the new member sucked; hopefully with Tom back they go back to classic Blink.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
No it's not :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I regularly go to gig's in the midlands, paying £100 to see Blink 182 is extortionate lol

I think I should have said "that's not bad for an arena band on the nostalgia circuit" which is what this is. Of course you can go to gig's ( :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy: ) for less any day of the week, but this is a bit more newsworthy than most of the shows that have been announced recently.

Pretty shit for the guy they kicked out when Tom decided he wanted to come back
Matt is friends with them all and I'm sure he isn't pissed at all. He likely knew that if Tom wanted to come back then he'd be out and I think he'd have been more than happy to see Tom come back. Matt is really a nice guy and I think he joined as a favour to Mark and Travis to keep Blink going. Matt also has his own awesome band so he will be back to writing new Alkaline Trio stuff and doing more tours. Can't wait to see them live again they are one of my favourite bands.

I love Blink, great band. They peaked at the self titled album and everything they did with the new member sucked; hopefully with Tom back they go back to classic Blink.
I will agree they peaked with the 2003 album. Neighborhoods was ehh and the Dogs Eating Dogs EP wasn't too good. I'm happy to see Tom back but i don't expect them to go back to "classic Blink".

and I really liked the stuff they did with Matt. It's not "classic Blink" but it's still Blink and I love it. Fans who shit on Matt for not being Tom need to take a look at themselves and I honestly wouldn't call them Blink fans at all.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I love how they haven't changed a thing about their look. It really gives off a "How do you do fellow kids" to see Marks hair still spiked up like that at his age.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Now I’m not some fanboy of anything DeLonge, but this song is gold to blast during a breakup.

I have little to less interest in listening to anything not Enema of the State, but Barker is an amazing drummer.

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
Got tix to the Manchester, UK show for about 65 ea. Got seats, because I'm way too old to even want to be on the floor these days.

I know they're gonna be terrible live, but it's a night out, and an event. Deep down, I'm hoping Robert Smith shows up and does the song off S/T (I realize this is incredibly unlikely, but a man can dream)

Davesky

I went to all their reunion shows in London back in 2012, the later announced ‘intimate’ Brixton show was vastly superior to their two nights in the O2 Arena, so going to hold out for similar again.

Havoc2049

Solid new pop-punk single. I usually listen to harder less mainstream punk, but I do enjoy some pop-punk on the DL. 😜I've always enjoyed Blink, Boxcar Racer and AVA.

I can't imagine being 50 and singing about high school to a bunch of 40 year olds.
haha.

Well their old albums are still good. They were definitely onto something there.

The lyrics don't matter above the energy if you ask me. I also like how "badly" a lot of it has aged as I don't really enjoy the current "100% politically correct" obligation or there's going to be an outcry in any media.

Stuff like a "girlfriend I can train" and such are more... risky now than they were in 1999.

Last edited:
It just sounds like a Blink-182 song...

I couldn't disagree more. The tempo and time signature is very un-blink like. Very, very rarely do they write in 2/4. It's more Greenday than Blink.

The only bit that aligns is the Mark and Tom back and forth in the chours-y bit

Do not like the song at all as a Blink tune, but I can't deny it will not leave my head. Catchy as fuck

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
A great voice? Wow that’s a take…
It’s very distinguishable. He has that scratchy intrusive tone with assertive lyrics. If you listen to Box Car Racer or Angels & Airwaves, it’s like listening to half of Blink-182. Mark Hoppus also has a clear, dominating voice and that’s what made California such a great album. Tom DeLonge’s voice takes me back to high school and talking to the skater kids.

It’s very distinguishable. He has that scratchy intrusive tone with assertive lyrics. If you listen to Box Car Racer or Angels & Airwaves, it’s like listening to half of Blink-182. Mark Hoppus also has a clear, dominating voice and that’s what made California such a great album. Tom DeLonge’s voice takes me back to high school and talking to the skater kids.
fair enough!

anthony2690

Banned
Sadly not a fan of the new song at all, hopefully I like some of the other songs.

Then again thinking about it, I thought dogs eating dogs album was awful too.

I loved enema of state, take of your pants and jacket & self titled albums though and a couple of songs off Dude Ranch/Cheshire cat.

And I quite liked a few songs by +44 & box car racer & I really liked a lot of angels and airwaves stuff.

Missed out on tickets, buuuuut, the proce they were going for....I'll survive

I'll have a few drinks, and stick the live album on loud, and I'll have a good night all the same 😄

Last edited:
Top Bottom