• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzard confesses that new MMO 'Titan' will be awesome, impact industry, sell well

Orayn

bill0527 said:
Try to ignore the hype train for now.

According to that leaked Blizzard product release schedule, this thing isn't due until Q4 2014.
Diablo III and one of the Starcraft expansions will probably hit between now and then, I'm guessing.

Xyphie said:
Why would PvE have a wider appeal? People don't buy for example COD and SC2 primarily for the single player stuff.

WoW didn't get 12 million subscribers by appealing to 12 million gamers. They got 12 million subscribers by drawing in casual players who may not play any other RPGs, or don't really play any other games period (there are A LOT of WoW players like this).

PvP is always going to be a frustrating experience for those types, even if you can successfully match players up by skill level most of the time. PvE content is going to have controlled difficulty, offer unlimited "re-do's", optional levels of involvement, and have a methodical approach to overcoming obstacles. No kind of PvP content will have these qualities.

notworksafe

Orayn said:
Diablo III and one of the Starcraft expansions will probably hit between now and then, I'm guessing.
Hopefully both SC expansions. Blizzard said before they want them to come out 18 months apart, though I bet they fall behind schedule on the first.

J-Rzez

Malvolio said:
This explains so much.

I've been saying this now for years (some people agreed, most said I was crazy or just wrong), and as more and more people get pulled over to Titan "full-time", the quality of WoW degrades exponentially like it has been since Wrath. Couple in Kotick poking around in their books and offices, and this is what you end up with.

Cipherr

"I believe [it's] the most ambitious thing we've ever attempted," Sams said. "And I feel like we have set our company up to succeed on that. We have some of our most talented and most experienced developers on that team. Many of the people that built World of Warcraft are full time on that other team."

Lots of people are going to run with that quote right there. I still think the content rate for WoW was good and steady, however the balancing for the last 2 or so years seems to have been shit. Its a seesaw of bullshit that is out of control. Ill check out Titan though, even if its a FPS. WoW was a good enough MMO to gain the company enough traction with me that Ill jump in day 1 to see how it is.

Cipherr said:
Lots of people are going to run with that quote right there. I still think the content rate for WoW was good and steady, however the balancing for the last 2 or so years seems to have been shit. Its a seesaw of bullshit that is out of control.

As compared to the first few years of wow where everything was perfectly balanced?

J-Rzez said:
I've been saying this now for years (some people agreed, most said I was crazy or just wrong), and as more and more people get pulled over to Titan "full-time", the quality of WoW degrades exponentially like it has been since Wrath. Couple in Kotick poking around in their books and offices, and this is what you end up with.

Which wouldn't be a problem, but they've hitched their horses to the "Faster is better" wagon, creating the problem. Even well-paced tiers don't last 3 months now...

...however the balancing for the last 2 or so years seems to have been shit. Its a seesaw of bullshit that is out of control.

Hence why expansion changes make more sense, are deeper, and feel like actual playstyles rather than the slash and burn of mid-expansion balancing (to no better parity).

As compared to the first few years of wow where everything was perfectly balanced?

And you're correct about something that is completely not related. Good job!

I hope for Blizzard's sake it isn't a game that tries to cater 15 different audiences on one facet or other like recent WoW. A strictly PvP or PvE MMO would be nice.

Fixed.

bill0527

Orayn said:

Yeah all of that is scheduled to ship before Titan on the release schedule. Also another WoW expansion before then. Diablo III is in fact, penciled in for Q4 of this year. They'll probably push for a holiday release since it's the only thing they've got this year.

Riposte

All they need to do is a little cross-promotion and it will be the most successful game since... WoW.

The question: Will Guild Wars 2 release before then!?!

V_Arnold

J-Rzez said:

WTF.
WOW has never been so good than it is now. Do you even play Cataclysm now? O_O

Riposte said:
All they need to do is a little cross-promotion and it will be the most successful game since... WoW.

The question: Will Guild Wars 2 release before then!?!

Of course it will. We won't see Titan for years.

bill0527

V_Arnold said:
WTF.

My sub just ran out and I find Cataclysm to be extremely lacking. I've detailed why in other threads, so I'll just leave it at that without shitting up this thread with a bullet point list.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
V_Arnold said:
WTF.

J-Rez is a well know WoW Hater in the official thread. The only reason he keep playing is because of the gameplay that he said no MMO has yet beaten. He hates everything else about the current WoW though. I'm sure he loved how raiding was in the old WoW from 2004 though.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
V_Arnold said:
WTF.
Its so good right now that six people i know irl that have been playing since launch have unsubbed a month ago.

Bisnic

water_wendi said:
Its so good right now that six people i know irl that have been playing since launch have unsubbed a month ago.

People get bored sometimes after playing the same game for 6 years you know.

Or maybe its because they cant handle the harder raids/heroics after being used to 2 years of super easy content in WOTLK and ragequit because pugs couldnt easily beat the heroics during the first months?

Seriously, the only thing i see that Cataclysm got worst than previous expansions is that there arent as many new zones and maybe how quest progression got more linear and more story driven(but not everyone hates that anyway). Oh, and the longer DPS queues for heroics if you want to do pugs.

Music got better, graphics got better, we got new races that looks so much better than the old races, we got rid of the old and shitty 1-60 quests, we got flying mounts available for the old continents(something people wanted for years), we got more challenging content, we got 5 mans that actually ask people to think rather than charging and pulling 2-3 groups at once and AOE and boss fights that arent just "Stand in place and burn the boss, ignore everything else".

Did they quit because of balancing issues? Please, we had this problem since 2004. If people quit because of balancing issues, they should have done so years ago, because there will always be issues with new spells, new lvls, new talents, new classes and more health and spell/attack power.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Bisnic said:
People get bored sometimes after playing the same game for 6 years you know.

Or maybe its because they cant handle the harder raids/heroics after being used to 2 years of super easy content in WOTLK and ragequit because pugs couldnt easily beat the heroics during the first months?

Seriously, the only thing i see that Cataclysm got worst than previous expansions is that there arent as many new zones and maybe how quest progression got more linear and more story driven(but not everyone hates that anyway). Oh, and the longer DPS queues for heroics if you want to do pugs.

Music got better, graphics got better, we got new races that looks so much better than the old races, we got rid of the old and shitty 1-60 quests, we got flying mounts available for the old continents(something people wanted for years), we got more challenging content, we got 5 mans that actually ask people to think rather than charging and pulling 2-3 groups at once and AOE and boss fights that arent just "Stand in place and burn the boss, ignore everything else".

Did they quit because of balancing issues? Please, we had this problem since 2004. If people quit because of balancing issues, they should have done so years ago, because there will always be issues with new spells, new lvls, new talents, new classes and more health and spell/attack power.
Look, you think its better. i was just pointing out that not everyone believes Cataclysm is as good as Wow has ever been.

And no they didnt quit because of balancing issues, theyve mostly quit because they were bored.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Malvolio said:
This explains so much.

I thought this was already well known in the WoW community. While a lot of the shit feels different these days in WoW because of changes that would have been made no matter what, many of the hardcore Blizz fanbase think it's also because the A team is working on the new hotness and the B team is just keeping the WoW gravy train rolling.

water_wendi said:
Well my anecdotal evidence proves that not everyone thinks the game is the best its ever been.

To be honest, the only people we should be caring about are the people who unsubbed when BC came out.

V_Arnold

water_wendi said:
Well my anecdotal evidence proves that not everyone thinks the game is the best its ever been.

That will never be the case. People stopping WoW is hardly news, it happened between EVERY new major content patch in certain kinds of players, it happend pre- and after- expansions in different kinds, some people are either cancelling and waiting for easier gearing opportunities a few patches later - it all depends on what type of playstyle you have.

People cancelling or not cancelling subscriptions are not a point in any side.
Declining subscription base would indicate WoW is turning to a worse product in the eyes of its userbase, but it is not happening.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
V_Arnold said:
That will never be the case. People stopping WoW is hardly news, it happened between EVERY new major content patch in certain kinds of players, it happend pre- and after- expansions in different kinds, some people are either cancelling and waiting for easier gearing opportunities a few patches later - it all depends on what type of playstyle you have.

Declining subscription base would mean WoW is turning to a worse product, but it is not happening.
i know people do that all the time. The thing is that the irl friends im talking about have been pretty much solid all the way through (barring a couple month breaks near the end of an xpac). Cataclysm is a first in that theyve all unsubbed a couple months after a brand new expansion.

kitzkozan

V_Arnold said:

Declining subscription base would indicate WoW is turning to a worse product in the eyes of its userbase, but it is not happening.

The game is both better and worse than it was before.It's more accessible and it's got better storytelling tools,but at the same time people get burned out faster as they quickly hit the gear or pvp grind.

The B team is definitively competent,but I can't help but feel that it's somewhat of a clusterfuck as classes or specs are redesigned way too often since the burning crusade.The latest is the healing redesign,which is still controversial right now.

Forkball

alphaNoid said:
All I'm going to say is ... its not a new IP even though they are saying it is. Its a spin off of an existing franchise, so Blizzard is trying to spin it like a new IP.

Thats all I can say.
You can get banned for teasing information as if you have some sort of insider info, just FYI.

Bisnic

Forkball said:
You can get banned for teasing information as if you have some sort of insider info, just FYI.

Especially if it turns out its not true. :p But eh, who will remember that 1 guy when they reveal the game in 2-3 years?

I still remember feeling like the game was headed for unsure territory when those big names posted that they were moving on. Their touch is missed.

Anyhow, hope this breaks the standard MMO mold. Not sure I could stomach another level->instance->raid->gearwipe->… pattern. I hope they stick with small group content like they seem to be pushing in WoW. I loved the feel of 40s in vanilla, but I just don't have the patience to deal with 24 people's shit anymore.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Spire said:
It'll be Blizzard's take on EVE, in other words a socially driven MMO that's actually accessible. If they pull it off (and if anyone could, it'd be them), it'll dwarf WoW.

lol I doubt this heavily.

PatzCU

Spire said:
It'll be Blizzard's take on EVE, in other words a socially driven MMO that's actually accessible. If they pull it off (and if anyone could, it'd be them), it'll dwarf WoW.

Obviously Spire didn't mean it was going to be EXACTLY like EVE. But I think he is dead on in that this next Blizz MMO will be heavily socially driven. I would say a good portion of the WoW population is hooked because of the social elements. People chase the carrot on the stick so they can get better gear and obtain better status in the game.

The content and gameplay get your engaged in their game, but the social interactions are what really hook people. I fully expect Titan to bring the social interactivity to an entirely new level.

PatzCU said:
Obviously Spire didn't mean it was going to be EXACTLY like EVE. But I think he is dead on in that this next Blizz MMO will be heavily socially driven. I would say a good portion of the WoW population is hooked because of the social elements. People chase the carrot on the stick so they can get better gear and obtain better status in the game.

It also helped Daelo & co. hit it out of the park with many instances and boss fights this go, too. Amazing what they can do when they don't have an albatross around their neck.

I still remember feeling like the game was headed for unsure territory when those big names posted that they were moving on. Their touch is missed.

And who is running Titan? Fuckin' Tigole. That gives me great hope it ain't just some vapid social gaming goof-off fest and a real game with social mechanics in support.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
alphaNoid said:
All I'm going to say is ... its not a new IP even though they are saying it is. Its a spin off of an existing franchise, so Blizzard is trying to spin it like a new IP.

Thats all I can say.

Blackthorne MMO confirmed!

Top Bottom