• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzard Legally Opposes Valve Trademark Over DOTA Name [Up: Trial Schedule]

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Some part of me hopes Blizzard makes some progress on this. Ideally enough that Dota 2 has to get rid of the lazy naming and lack of creativity for the champions.

I know they are just carried over but that doesn't make them good.

the fuck

No, it isn't. They all require a great deal of training and expertise to truly understand and predict but they're fun to take a run at for laymen. No special degrees required to comment from the peanut gallery.
You don't need a degree but I would think the ability to be able to read a link and see that there is no lawsuit here would be a minimal requirement.

Belgorim

Well, been playing dota 2 nonstop for a while now... Still have no idea why its not called Dota HD or something.

Valve definately in the wrong with trademarking it, they should be able to use it though in some way or another.

This thread makes me terrified that I'll have to change my username or else be sued by Kotick. :(
Did you try trademarking it? :)

Some part of me hopes Blizzard makes some progress on this. Ideally enough that Dota 2 has to get rid of the lazy naming and lack of creativity for the champions.

I know they are just carried over but that doesn't make them good.

Blizzard has already made progress on this. It's called Blizzard DOTA, and they copyright it way later than Valve ever did DOTA 2.

Think of it as this way. Kassatsu has been making "Playstation Update" thread for vet since PS3 existed. Somewhere down the line he created his own website PSNStores and now uses the much improved format of GAF thread in his website, while still linking here since he is awesome like that.

Evilore gets pissed and sues Kassatsu for copyright infringement since PSNStores look similar to GAF thread.

Do you think that makes any bit of sense? It's like some guy coming up with an idea in my garage and me suing him for taking that idea to his own home and trying to make it better without relying on my tools.

Margalis

Banned
I like how literally 95% of the people in this thread have no idea wtf is going on.

It's a little embarrassing.

All the link amounts to is that Valve filed for trademark of DOTA and Blizzard filed an opposition. That's it.

They sorta trademarked it in the first place to prevent this sort of stupid shit from happening in the first place. Not sure where people are getting this 'Valve is in the wrong for doing that' attitude from. It's just DOTA, not DotA.

CEN 800 - Law and Ethics. Study of the legal and ethical aspects of engineering practice, including Canadian legal system and business organizations, tort liability, business contract law, intellectual and industrial property, principles of arbitration and alternative dispute resolutions, the practice of engineering, occupational health and safety, ethical aspects of engineering practice, ethical dilemmas in project management, sustainable development and ethical behavior, and globalization and international standards for ethical and social responsibility.

Your contribution to society/this_thread is...

?

Quoting the description of a uni course. Nice...

On the question of how the courts are likely to rule (which is the most pertinent question in the thread), I'd give more weight to most lawyers than any random Internet schmuck. Anyone can have an opinion but I don't think it's controversial to say that someone who's been educated on the subject has more credibility than "Of course Blizzard's in the right because EULAs and stuff."

Massa

They sorta trademarked it in the first place to prevent this sort of stupid shit from happening in the first place. Not sure where people are getting this 'Valve is in the wrong for doing that' attitude from. It's just DOTA, not DotA.

The fact that it's DOTA and not DotA means absolutely nothing in this trademark dispute. Otherwise I'd be making money selling CoCA-Cola.

Blizzard has already made progress on this. It's called Blizzard DOTA, and they copyright it way later than Valve ever did DOTA 2.

Think of it as this way. Kassatsu has been making "Playstation Update" thread for vet since PS3 existed. Somewhere down the line he created his own website PSNStores and now uses the much improved format of GAF thread in his website, while still linking here since he is awesome like that.

Evilore gets pissed and sues Kassatsu for copyright infringement since PSNStores look similar to GAF thread.

Do you think that makes any bit of sense? It's like some guy coming up with an idea in my garage and me suing him for taking that idea to his own home and trying to make it better without relying on my tools.

Might want to use some of the legal knowledge and actually read the complaint. And I would also hope that you don't think a trademark and copyright are the same thing.

(._.)

Banned
Dumb move imo. should just focus on their own project and make it stand out. Blizzard DOTA does look kinda cool. Needs a name change though. Something cool like how Nintendo came up with Super Smash Bros. As corny as that sounds LoL is now it's own game to many people who never even played (or heard) of DotA. Nothign keeping this project from doing the same. "Blizzard DOTA" is probably the most generic thing you could call the project seeing as it has the potential to make its own mark. It should also be treated with as much pristine and polish as LoL is so it doesn't seem like a lacking competitor. Isn't it going to just be a StarCraft 2 mod? I feel like they could release it as a stand alone f2p.

Vano

I honestly don't know anything about copyright laws and law in general, but what happens if Valve rename DOTA2 to Valve DOTA and copyright it, there would be a problem like this?

Vyrance

There's nothing wrong with Valve trademarking Dota, because it's an abbreviation, and they did that on purpose (And I assume Dota was not taken). They would, at the least, have some trouble if they trademarked Defense of the Ancients.

ALso to those talking about EULAs, I'm pretty sure they have no legal bearing.

Just so people realize, this isn't really a lawsuit.

Valve files for Trademark.

A period of time is created after that filing, where anybody who has a problem files an opposition seeking to prevent granting of the trademark. This can be for a variety of reasons, you use it under the common law, you believe it will create confusion or dilute the value of your mark, too similar to your mark, etc.

Valve files an answer (which unsurprisingly, will be much less favorable of Blizzard's rights than Blizzard's own filing)

An examiner at the Patent & Trademark Office will examine the filing, the opposition, and render a decision on whether to grant the trademark or not.

If trademark is granted, it is still subject to subsequent legal challenge, in an actual lawsuit, for a variety of reasons.

Dooraven

lawl, Blizzard isn't suing Valve, they're putting an notice of opposition to the filing of the trademark for Dota, that's it. Blizzard said that they wanted to keep Dota in public domain so they are doing exactly that.

Sajjaja

What`s up with Blizzard nowadays?

Black_Activision.jpg

bobby+kotick+the+devil.jpg

Aselith

Except Coca-cola is a trademark/patent and "Mom's awesome mix of milk and cola" isn't.

And thinking of it in the abbreviated form, it's even more telling here that neither Coca-Cole nor CoCA-COlA are trademarked in this hypothetical case so either could reasonably be taken so far as I can tell. If the Coca-Cola company was never founded but the drink simply existed as a home brew drink, could someone not name their product that because people were already calling it that?

I make my own mix, thank you very much.

In any case, Blizzard claims they have licensed DOTA.

Yes. They have indeed CLAIMED that which is why most everyone was laughing at them before we got down into the nitty-gritty of who is actually evil.

Belgorim

I honestly don't know anything about copyright laws and law in general, but what happens if Valve rename DOTA2 to Valve DOTA and copyright it, there would be a problem like this?

That would not even warrant an eyebrow raise. That would actualy be a good name also.

Except Coca-cola is a trademark/patent and "Mom's awesome mix of milk and cola" isn't.

Really enjoying how you came into this thread using a course to description to make it seem like you have a certain level of knowledge and are using trademark and patent as the same word.

Might want to ask your school for a refund.

Well yes, because that's generally what legal matters revolve around.
so you are merely interested in whose lawyer is the better lawyer, and don't care if Valve is doing a dickshit move that will kill the whole DotA community out of what Valve will be offering?

lawl, Blizzard isn't suing Valve, they're putting an notice of opposition to the filing of the trademark for Dota, that's it. Blizzard said that they wanted to keep Dota in public domain so they are doing exactly that.
But Blizzard is an evil entity that is only after money and monopoly over DotA, while Gabe Newell is a white knight defending the gaming, even if it costs Valve to lose money in the end!

Really enjoying how you came into this thread using a course to description to make it seem like you have a certain level of knowledge and are using trademark and patent as the same word.

Might want to ask your school for a refund.

Dude, my entire level of obscurity is missed. Looks like I'm winning here.

P.S. Coca cola name is a trademark. Formula is patent. Check mate sarcasm detector!

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
so you are merely interested in whose lawyer is the better lawyer, and don't care if Valve is doing a dickshit move that will kill the whole DotA community out of what Valve will be offering?

So like, you do understand that IceFrog is still actively developing the map as well right?

He just released a new update like a month ago.

It had four new heroes and a bunch of balance changes: http://www.playdota.com/changelogs/6.73

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Does DOTA cease to be because DOTA 2 is being made by Valve? I feel like the answer is no but feel free to correct me.

The Defense of the Ancients community seems pretty happy with their game. This is as much an alternative as LoL, etc just with a closer name. Nothing is being spoiled by DOTA 2 existing (except Blizzard plans to trademark when someone proved it to be marketable.)
Well Dota 2 is going to kill the remaining Defense of the Ancients community, so yes. It does matter. If you like playing DOTA but not Dota 2 then you're going to lose out on a lot actually.

Morokh

If the purpose of this is just to prevent Valve to use the name, and in the case they could win this they don't get a single penny out of it, well I'm not against it at all.

If the intent is to go after money, then it's just pure bullshit.

Top Bottom