• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzard planning to make Diablo 3 work across competing consoles: 'It's a question of when, not if'.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://www.businessinsider.com.au/diablo-3-cross-platform-2018-10?r=US&IR=T

Yet another huge game from a major game developer is going to let players across competing game platforms play together.

That game is “Diablo 3,” and it arrives on the Nintendo Switch on November 2.

That’s the seventh platform that “Diablo 3” will be available on, in addition to Mac, PC, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One. And seven different platforms means seven different player bases, all playing “Diablo 3” in isolation. Why can’t they all just play together?

“It’s a question of when, not if,” a Blizzard Entertainment representative told Business Insider during a gameplay demo of “Diablo 3” on Nintendo Switch this week.

Though there’s nothing official to announce just yet, the folks behind “Diablo 3” are actively working with partners at Sony and Microsoft to enable cross-console play with “Diablo 3” on Switch.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
It's an old game, but still good to see they're laying the groundwork for this sort of functionality. They can shake the bugs out here so that when a new, heavily anticipated game comes down the line they'll already have experience with cross platform. This makes me think Diablo 4 will be multi and cross platform out of the box, which would be nice so I can play with friends who only use consoles, not PC.

Would be great but yeah Diablo 4 with crossplay please.

PC and Consoles will probably never play together on Diablo 3 so yeah let's just move on

Allandor

oh.. Well this is Something where crossplay might not be the best idea because of the cheaters on ps4 as the savegames are locally saved and can be manipulated on ps4 (copy it to a stick like on xb360). Also only the lobby is really online for everything else a server is not needed.

Killer751

Banned
Well there should only be one gaming platform by the time that Diablo 4 launches anyway... the streaming platform.

Just one more thing to look forward to!

drotahorror

I figure they're just getting their network straight for this to happen so it's seamless in D4. There hasn't been a meaningful update to D3 in nearly a year, very embarrassing and honestly pretty disrespectful to the series. I realize it's an old game at this point but just look at PoE. Each season in D3 could have been interesting but nope.

manfestival

I guess that is cool but they really should bring back the RMAH. I loved it. I know people hated it but I really liked the idea and using it

Hudo

They're kinda 6 years too late for that.
Yeah, I am a bit confused as well. What's the point of doing that to Diablo 3 now? At this point, they should concentrate on Diablo 4 or on other things. Maybe look into Overwatch cross-play.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Well there should only be one gaming platform by the time that Diablo 4 launches anyway... the streaming platform.

Two platforms

The streaming platform and what ever it is Nintendo will be doing.

FranXico

That's nice and all, but the one game that really needs more crossplay is Rocket League.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

I love D3 but the only way I'd be excited is if I could play my PC account on The Switch. I don't even own a Switch but this would be perfect for it but I don't feel like starting over.

dirthead

Banned
It's debatable whether Blizzard's even a good developer anymore, honestly. Diablo 3 was a mess, WOW's gone to shit, they've lost most of the people who made their name, etc. At the rate they're going, it's a very safe bet that Nintendo will be around longer than Blizzard will.

Woo-Fu

Banned
It's debatable whether Blizzard's even a good developer anymore, honestly. Diablo 3 was a mess, WOW's gone to shit, they've lost most of the people who made their name, etc. At the rate they're going, it's a very safe bet that Nintendo will be around longer than Blizzard will.

I know, right! Selling >30 million copies of Diablo 3 across all platforms is surely a sign of impending collapse. 70 million registered players of Hearthstone, doom! And don't forget that team shooter they made that nobody played, what was it called, oh yeah, Overwatch.

FFS man, what alternate universe are you living in? lol. In this universe, by any reasonable criteria Blizzard would appear to be a great developer. Not being happy with how their fourteen-year-old MMO is doing isn't really much of a barometer. Name another 14-year old MMO producing similar revenue today? Heck, name any MMO producing similar revenue today?

Last edited:

dirthead

Banned
I know, right! Selling >30 million copies of Diablo 3 across all platforms is surely a sign of impending collapse. 70 million registered players of Hearthstone, doom! And don't forget that team shooter they made that nobody played, what was it called, oh yeah, Overwatch.

FFS man, what alternate universe are you living in? lol. In this universe, by any reasonable criteria Blizzard would appear to be a great developer. Not being happy with how their fourteen-year-old MMO is doing isn't really much of a barometer.

You listed three games that blow (one of them a fucking card game--give me a break), and that's supposed to prove the point that Blizzard is somehow at the top of their game? Overwatch, a game that only exists because Blizzard was so mismanaged and in such disarray that they couldn't even finish a true follow up to WOW, is an example of Blizzard still being a good developer?

Diablo 3 sold purely based on the hype that was created by the legend that the first two games established. The game fucking sucked at launch. It was basically The Phantom Menace of video games. Didn't matter how bad it was. It was destined to be huge just based on the hype.

Last edited:

Woo-Fu

Banned
You listed three games that blow (one of them a fucking card game--give me a break), and that's supposed to prove the point that Blizzard is somehow at the top of their game?

Diablo 3 sold purely based on the hype that was created by the legend that the first two games established. The game fucking sucked at launch. It was basically The Phantom Menace of video games. Didn't matter how bad it was. It was destined to be huge just based on the hype.

Pro-tip: Just because you don't like something doesn't mean it is a failure. And I'm pretty sure you loved WoW at some point, lol.

Last edited:

Woo-Fu

Banned
Diablo 3 isn't a failure because I dislike it. It's a failure because it fucking sucks.

English not your first language? You seem confused about the similarity between "I dislike it." and "...it fucking sucks".

Last edited:

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels

I guess that is cool but they really should bring back the RMAH. I loved it. I know people hated it but I really liked the idea and using it
Two platforms

The streaming platform and what ever it is Nintendo will be doing.
Nintendo will be out of the console race by then.
This is officially the dumbest thread on NeoGAF

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
lol at the people saying diablo 3 is a mess.
that game is fucking amazing after the million of patches it had

Codes 208

Nintendo will be out of the console race by then.
not_this_shit_again.jpg

Shifty

Did they ever bring the PC version to parity with consoles- dodgerolling, etc? Because I'd like to see them do that if they're doing this.

Diablo 3 isn't a failure because I dislike it. It's a failure because it fucking sucks.
No, you're the one who's confused. You seem to think Diablo 3 isn't a gigantic piece of shit even though it objectively is.
These posts are a failure, not because I dislike them, but because they objectively suck.

That's not to say I don't dislike them as well, though.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy

FFS man, what alternate universe are you living in? lol. In this universe, by any reasonable criteria Blizzard would appear to be a great developer. Not being happy with how their fourteen-year-old MMO is doing isn't really much of a barometer. Name another 14-year old MMO producing similar revenue today? Heck, name any MMO producing similar revenue today?
Perhaps the Guild Wars series combined?

Even still, its a rather crappy train of thought to dismiss the Blizzard titles as completely shit if your top fave is the original Starcraft. By that metric, every Blizzard title since is crap which isn't a healthy notion to make.

Diablo 3 is one of those massively ported games that work because its artstyle holds up on pretty much most platforms - Hence Diablo being one of the few titles to be both cross gen and targeting a Nintendo console aswell.

Overwatch is of a similar caliber. Its artstyle and its gameplay works so much to the point where the mobile space is just dying to having a title like that - Resulting in various clones, one better than the other.

You listed three games that blow (one of them a fucking card game--give me a break), and that's supposed to prove the point that Blizzard is somehow at the top of their game? Overwatch, a game that only exists because Blizzard was so mismanaged and in such disarray that they couldn't even finish a true follow up to WOW, is an example of Blizzard still being a good developer?

The fact Overwatch essentially defined the FPS MOBA genre clearly does not mean Blizzard is a good developer :pie_eyeroll: That and that you had it in you to even throw in that Diablo 3 is objectively shit suggests a narrative that ironically, has brought you into trouble way before. And you can expect it to be called out, every. single. time you try to push your opinion as an objective fact and dismissing others as lesser than you.

Sometimes i really wonder if anything you have claimed about yourself is even true, but i guess that's for another time.

English not your first language? You seem confused about the similarity between "I dislike it." and "...it fucking sucks".
Objectively sucks, even. I just noticed this post was removed but i had an eyeroll when reading that. Sure, Diablo 3 was buggy at launch: Despite this, it proved to be a success for Blizzard. You really ought to be coming from an island of bad faith to geniunely claim titles like that are objectively terrible and that WOW or Overwatch make Blizzard a B-Tier developer.

Hell, its not even a narrative you could take seriously if you wanted to. Its like saying DOOM sucks as a game because it has violence. Like, comeonson.gif.

Top Bottom