• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzard secretly watermarking World of Warcraft screenshots with user data

spirity

It's kind of troubling this has never been mentioned by Blizzard before now. Why? If there's nothing wrong with it, why the secrecy? Why hold back this information, why not just be open about it?

stuminus3

Can you tell me what someone could use your WOW user ID for?
The way these things work is that even the smallest piece of information can unlock a door somewhere. Example, Google search for my GAF name and you'll find links to all kinds of information about me. Put all this information together and you may find a pretty comprehensive picture of who I am. Maybe you'll find an email address belonging to me that I was dumb enough to protect with the name of one of my kids as a password (the name of which you've retrieved through the information gathering I've mentioned). Maybe that email account contains personal banking info. Or whatever. This is just an example. It's all social engineering.

Haunted

That's pretty clever.

As long as the information can't be tracked back (so it's anonymous for others but not for Blizzard) I don't see it as a big breach of privacy or anything.

It's like buying a camera and secretly there's a hidden message with my name, address, and all sorts of information I didnt want on my photo. And they were secretly doing it. Its a total breech of privacy in my opinion.
I think you taking pictures with a camera and you making screenshots within World of Warcraft are not comparable.

ElFly

It's a JPEG artifact it seems.

It disappears if the jpeg compression of screenshots is set at 10 (no compression) and doesn't appear for non-lossy screenshots.

Overreaction much?

e:mmm when I checked the conclussion was it was jpeg artifacts.

Seems someone actually decoded them? the link is to a forum and I can only bother to check gaf.

Silex

If this is the case then there's nothing to be worried about except for Blizzard with their server ips in there.

It's not exactly a secret for them...

I guess Blizzard just wanted a silent and unknown option for themselves to detect hackers and malicious users. Not a problem.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
The way these things work is that even the smallest piece of information can unlock a door somewhere. Example, Google search for my GAF name and you'll find links to all kinds of information about me. Put all this information together and you may find a pretty comprehensive picture of who I am. Maybe you'll find an email address belonging to me that I was dumb enough to protect with the name of one of my kids as a password (the name of which you've retrieved through the information gathering I've mentioned). Maybe that email account contains personal banking info. Or whatever. This is just an example. It's all social engineering.

If a WoW UserID is only something like "04858214", it's still not enough to help hackers stealing your account. Haven't checked the pictures to see if a UserID really looks like that though.

It's not exactly a secret for them...

I guess Blizzard just wanted a silent and unknown option for themselves to detect hackers and malicious users. Not a problem.
After I posted that I remembered there were other ways to get their server ips. Doh!

Overall yeah, not much of a problem.

If someone was looking for the ID on WoW screenshots and matched up say, screenshots from the WoW forums to GAF and you posted personal information in another post on GAF, that's your fault and not the screenshot's fault.

I don't see what the problem is. And if you dont' like it, then don't play their games?
or you can just not take screenshots and/or not publicly upload them to the internets?

crimsonheadgcn said:
It is in the TOS I believe. It's part of the section where they describe what they send back to the servers. It's the same info.
if it's in the tos, then in a way you did agree to it? facebook makes you agree to a ton of crap as well. i'm still unsure of what the userid specifically is. if its just a bunch of numbers, i don't think that's much use to anyone but blizzard?

scy

Which is fine and all but the userID in question here is a number that is used on Blizzard's end and not something you chose. If the userID -> usernames were available then I suppose we can go through the social engineering hoops to make use of it but, as it stands right now, this is basically a non-issue data wise.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
A better solution is to stop clogging up the interwebs with awful WoW screens.

But i really want to share my picture of a human in underwear clapping his hands near a dancing female night elf, which also appear to be in underwear. :(

stuminus3

If someone was looking for the ID on WoW screenshots and matched up say, screenshots from the WoW forums to GAF and you posted personal information in another post on GAF, that's your fault and not the screenshot's fault.
I'm not entirely sure how a company releasing any kind of information about me in any form without my knowledge or consent would be my fault.

It's clearly not really much of a problem in this case, but that's not really the point now, is it?

I'm not entirely sure how a company releasing any kind of information about me in any form without my knowledge or consent would be my fault.

It's clearly not really much of a problem in this case, but that's not really the point now, is it?

I didn't say that the user ID Blizzard put in the screenshot would be your fault. I said that if you post personal information on GAF, by typing it into a post, and someone sees it, that's your fault and nobody needs a WoW screenshot to go through your posting history and find it.

billsmugs

Unless I've completely misunderstood what's being shared here, I don't see any reason to complain. Personally I think this is a brilliantly clever idea! I'd like to know how many people they've caught and punished as a result of this.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
if this was EA gaf would be on this like a shit storm but blizzard are gods so its cool

Chinner

Banned
very shitty behaviour if ive read the op right which says its against/not mentioned in the tos. falling to new lows.

stuminus3

I didn't say that the user ID Blizzard put in the screenshot would be your fault. I said that if you post personal information on GAF, by typing it into a post, and someone sees it, that's your fault and nobody needs a WoW screenshot to go through your posting history and find it.
Well... yes, that's obvious. I don't think you're getting the implications here.

Are people here seriously freaking the fuck out over something that's supposedly existed in the game for 4+ years now and has done no harm at all? Incredible. The person that listed this shit is spreading all types of bullshit as well. Do you seriously believe that hidden code in screenshots is handing hackers your login information on a silver platter? Seriously.

If there nothing has come from this stupidness over the last 4 years, nothing ever will. I'm still upset about Diablo 3 but good god, people are looking for anything they can to lash out at Blizz now.

Loxley

People are really making this a bigger deal than it is.

GAF attempts at demonizing Blizzard are starting to get comical.

Prt Scrn guys!

printscreen.jpg

might work for this game, but in skyrim for example it overrides the traditional "copy" function that it does and saves an in game screenshot instead.

Venfayth

Are people here seriously freaking the fuck out over something that's supposedly existed in the game for 4+ years now and has done no harm at all? Incredible. The person that listed this shit is spreading all types of bullshit as well. Do you seriously believe that hidden code in screenshots is handing hackers your login information on a silver platter? Seriously.

If there nothing has come from this stupidness over the last 4 years, nothing ever will. I'm still upset about Diablo 3 but good god, people are looking for anything they can to lash out at Blizz now.

There's no proof what harm it has or has not caused. Some people are saying the account IDs encoded in the images can link characters to alts, or to actual blizzard accounts. If that's true, it's a huge deal as it can create target accounts for hackers and whatnot.

If it's not true and it doesn't expose any kind of account information that is useful to people outside of Blizzard, then it's no big deal.

I don't think we have enough information to be sure of anything. But I'm sure this will pick up steam on the main WoW forums and Reddit and Blizzard will be forced to make a statement. At which point Blizzard fanboys will say "SEE!" and haters will ignore the message and pick apart phrasings in order to lay blame on some secondary motive.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Uh half the forum would be saying about bad Steam has always been and the other half would disagree.

On that note, is anyone else tired of the "bu bu bu what would 'GAF' say if it were <company x>"?

its true though gaf shits all over EA and capcom and other company's do similar things and nothing comes of it

ghibli99

On that note, is anyone else tired of the "bu bu bu what would 'GAF' say if it were <company x>"?
It gets tiring, but I think it's valid. It's hard to imagine the response would be the same if, say, we were talking Activision doing it w/ CoD vs. thatgamecompany doing it with Journey.

Top Bottom